Best composite for exposure/bonding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottW3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a light-cure composite for expose and bond cases? I've replaced all my dental school composite knowledge with other information and have no idea nano vs micro vs hybrid or any other composite terminology. I need something that will hold a bracket to a tooth and that can tolerate a little moisture. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They make a type of glue for bonding brackets to teeth that is not light cured but is actually moisture activated. We use it all the time in the office I work at for pulling down a cuspid that won't erupt. Can't think of the name of it offhand but someone here may know or I can look tomorrow.

This is it.

Attachments

• gridlock-try-now.jpg
    gridlock-try-now.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 57
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s best to keep the bonding area dry even if you use the product that tolerates moisture. I see my wife achieves the dry field by infiltrating the surrounding tissue with Lido w/epi. Then she does the following:
1. Etch
2. Rinse and dry.
3. Apply Assure primer (http://www.relianceorthodontics.com/Assure-Universal-Bonding-Resin-p/as.htm)
4. Apply adhesive (http://www.relianceorthodontics.com/Quick-Cure-Syringe-5-gm-Component-p/qcpp.htm) to the bracket w/ gold chain.
5. Light cure.

This will sure make the referring orthodontist happy.

I like applying Viscostat to the gingiva and then going through the normal etching and bonding. I use Transbond to bond the gold chain to the tooth. After bonding, give the chain a good tug to make sure it's bonded well before suturing.

I like transbond XT.
Cotton roll isolation and packing - I personally do not like hemodent/viscostat
Liberal infiltration with lido 1:100k epi to help minimize ooze
Regular etch. Prime/bond combo

One big help is to have a bracket holder for the button instead of trying to use cotton pliers. Makes a big difference.