best comprehensive pain management text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the best comprehensive pain management text available? How about pain medicine secrets? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

None...

In all seriousness, there are hardly any truly great comprehensive single pain medicine texts.

There are however good books that can be used in conjunction to form a complete picture...

Slipman Interventional Spine
Benzon Essentials of Pain Medicine and Regional Anesthesia
Waldman...any one of many atlases
Fenton Atlas
Wall & Melzack...good luck reading that
Pain Medicine Secrets is not bad

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, Benzon is the best quick and dirty text. I used this early in my fellowship to get a working vocabulary. My favorite reference text is Warfield/Bajwa Essentials of Pain Medicine. Very well referenced, well known authors from all over the country (not just Boston). I have a low opinion of Waldman's text. Bonica and Melzac are too basic science oriented.

Truth is that all of these texts are a few years behind. Read the journals diligently and critically.

I agree, Benzon is the best quick and dirty text. I used this early in my fellowship to get a working vocabulary. My favorite reference text is Warfield/Bajwa Essentials of Pain Medicine. Very well referenced, well known authors from all over the country (not just Boston). I have a low opinion of Waldman's text. Bonica and Melzac are too basic science oriented.

Truth is that all of these texts are a few years behind. Read the journals diligently and critically.

Melzac's 2006 text is a serious read, and very very lab/bench research oriented. But if thats what you want, its probably the best resource right now.

For a junior resident who sees a fair amount of chronic pain in outpatient clinics and may or may not be interested in a future fellowship, which of these would be a reasonable read for a better understanding of pain medicine outside of the basic physiatry textbooks?

For a junior resident who does seem a fair amount of chronic pain in outpatient clinics and may or may not be interested in a future fellowship, which of these would be a reasonable read for a better understanding of pain medicine outside of the basic physiatry textbooks?

The best book for you would be the Wallace and Staats Pain Medicine Review book. Very concise, practical, easy to read.