Best Course of Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hattrikjoel454

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There were a couple of posts on here related to this but not as specific to my problem and they did not include curriculum.

I am currently applying for SMPs and Masters programs because this past round of applications was unsuccessful. The two cities I would like to be in (Gainesville or Charlotte both for personal reasons) do not have a SMP but have masters in exercise physiology or kinesiology. I need GPA and mor help (3.34 cGPS and 3.09 sGPA although I did not include some courses in my science GPA that I found out I could) which makes it feel like a SMP would be better but let me fully explain my opportunities below.

My Profile:
  • 3.34 cGPA
  • 3.09 sGPA
  • 31 MCAT (retake first score was a 27)
  • Vice President Club Ice Hockey Team, will have my name on literature from my 3 years of being in a research lab this summer, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing,

UF: Masters in Exercise Physiology

My advisor would be my research PI from the last 3 years and can sign off on me taking a few courses at the medical school.

Curriculum:
  • Research Methods
  • Biomechanics of Human Motion
  • Physiological Bases of Exercise and Sports Science
  • Neuromuscular Adaptation to Exercise
  • Cardiovascular Exercise Physiology
  • Exercise Metabolism
  • 9 Semester hours of advisor approved electives which in my case could be courses at the med school
UNCC: Masters in Kinesiology

Curriculum:
  • Research Methods
  • Physiology of Human Aging
  • Advanced Exercise Physiology
  • Advanced Cardiopulmonary Physiology
  • Graduate Level statistics
  • Neuromechanics of Gait and Posture
  • Direct Independent Study
  • Research and Thesis in Kinesiology
  • 9 hours of electives that can be any graduate course offered at the school
I'm currently applying to the SMP programs at Tufts USF and i am thinking about doing JHU and wanted you guys to weigh in on the situation.

Members don't see this ad.