Best dental schools in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeDasnake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am new here and I am currently going to the university of hawaii getting a degree. What should my major be if I want to continue on to dental school? Also what are the best dental schools in California? I plan on moving back after I graduate university of Hawaii
thanks for the replys :)

Members don't see this ad.

USC is pretty good and has a reputation. So is UCSF and UCLA.
actually, the best dental school is the one that takes u in!

at at LLU and think its pretty good so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually pre-dental has a bio science major...may have others..engineering, art. Choose what you are really good at. This is how I rate the CA schools:
1 UOP
2 UCSF
3 LLU (Loma Linda)
4 UCLA
5 USC
Been in the business 25+ years....this is based on "clincially" what I see at dental exams.

Good Luck

You are forgetting Western!!!

This thread is not going to go anywhere...

If you're talking about "best" school clinically than most of the schools will give you equal opportunity to hone your skills. It's not like UOP learns a special technique that students at LLU do not.

If you think that students with high GPA scores will correlate to clinical skills than UCLA/UCSF would be the best schools.

If you think that students with high DAT scores will be the best clinicians than UOP/UCLA/UCSF will be on the top of the lists

Basically, you can be LAST in your DDS class and the worst thing that can happen is you get a degree in dentistry and become a dentist :laugh:

1)UCSF
2)UCLA
3)UOP
USC doesn't even qualify to be on the list.
This is based on the Student's scores on national boards.

It depends on your career goals.
As an example, I have talked to a clinical professor, who worked at UCLA before, and he said that the school is not clinically strong. On the other hand, if you want to get involved in research - UCLA would be a good fit.
There are pluses and minuses for all California schools, I think.

All the CA schools are great. As Zubnaya Feya said it depends on what you are looking for. In my list UCSF/UCLA are the top two schools (because they are research oriented). Loma linda is my least favorite (because they are religious oriented, ask spiritual leader for the secondary). However I still respect whoever choose Loma Linda.

You can get your degree from any field you want as long as you complete prereqs. I am an engineer, but I do not recommend you to do engineering (you may have low GPA and can cause some problems). The more upper bio courses you take the more advantage you have in DS.

Members don't see this ad :)
1)UCSF
2)UCLA
3)UOP
USC doesn't even qualify to be on the list.
This is based on the Student's scores on national boards.

listen troll, you don't have access to NDBE scores and no one does so don't come around making false claims. There are plenty of super high scores on part 1s at USC. 96, 97, 98's every year..

listen troll, you don't have access to NDBE scores and no one does so don't come around making false claims. There are plenty of super high scores on part 1s at USC. 96, 97, 98's every year..

-Hes right. I went for an interview yesterday and they said they had one guy with 96 and another with 99.

-Hes right. I went for an interview yesterday and they said they had one guy with 96 and another with 99.

Remember that every schools has some students score score with those numbers. Hopefully your interview went well there:)

this is dumb...better board scores don't mean your a better dentist, if you want to be a good dentist you can accomplish that at ANY school. Its not like if you go to UCLA-->like omg! your the best dentist in the world now! or if you go to USC; dude your like totally a sucky dentist. Each school fits each person differently and being a good dentist is determined by your own dedication, not the school you go to.

Now stop with these stupid arguments and judgements.

My list:

1/ UCSF--> It is a dream school for many Ca applicants. No undergrad running around.
2/UCLA--> I hate LA. Traffic, pollution, superficial people.
3/Loma Linda
4/UOP
5/USC

If you're a HI resident you would be considered a WICHE applicant (you can google that). I would tack on UW to your list, I've heard great things about them both in terms of clinical exposure and research.

1) UCSF
2)UCLA
3)LLU
4)UOP

Sorry USC, you dont qualify to be in the list.

I figured why it is really hard to get into UCSF; a lot of the applicants already have a Phd from UCSF ! Off course they are not gonna get many undergrads with no graduate degree, but that does not make them a good dental school

I was talking to one of the USC recruiter the other day. He said last year over 90% of the class passed board I, that hasn't happened in a LONG time and he's really happy for the students and hopes to keep that standard up.

What's with the SC hate? And I thought lots of people went there because of the really strong alumni network in SoCal?

What's with the SC hate? And I thought lots of people went there because of the really strong alumni network in SoCal?

SC catches flak for being super expensive, having a couple rumored bad years on boards, being located in a rough part of town (tho i disagree), students who say they have trouble fulfilling grad requirements, and disgruntled students. they do have a very good alumi network that is nationwide.

even with all the possible negatives, there are hundreds or thousands of students who don't get into school and would kill to go to USC. i know a few kids there and they love it, so in reality dental school is what you make of it. if you can roll w/ adversities, not get to stressed out, and focus on learning dentistry, you would do well anywhere, including (the often exaggeratedly miserable) USC.

I figured why it is really hard to get into UCSF; a lot of the applicants already have a Phd from UCSF ! Off course they are not gonna get many undergrads with no graduate degree, but that does not make them a good dental school

Where did you hear this? i would be skeptical about that.:eyebrow:

Just go to the UCSF Dental school class of 2014 facebook page and see how many of them have a Phd from UCSF and go to other schools class of 2014 and compare!!

Just go to the UCSF Dental school class of 2014 facebook page and see how many of them have a Phd from UCSF and go to other schools class of 2014 and compare!!
^^^Reliable Source^^^

Last edited:
1. UOP (Can't beat the Humanistic approach)
2. UCSF (Awesome school and facility)
3. UCLA (Location and their rate of specializing)
4. Western (I like their potential and the brand new facility)
5. USC (PBL not really my style of learning, and expensive)
6. Loma Linda (Religious reason)

If i have a choice of dating between UCSF guy and UOP dental guy, i will choose UCSF dental for sure. I know that a guy that got accepted at UCSF not only have killer GPA and DAT but also something impressive about his application (life experience, research...)

UOP, not so much :thumbdown:

If i have a choice of dating between UCSF guy and UOP dental guy, i will choose UCSF dental for sure. I know that a guy that got accepted at UCSF not only have killer GPA and DAT but also something impressive about his application (life experience, research...)

:wtf:

Reactions: 1 user

Ya no doubt, cause you know....high GPA and DAT scores & research are just such turn ons :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I feel you:idea:

Funny, if I had a choice between a UCSF and UoP girl I'd just pick whichever has the biggest tracts of land.

You're in for a rough ride then. :laugh:

ya I know...3 yrs ain't gonna be easy. Just saying that, guess like the sarcastic factor didn't play out too well on that post my bad.

And you must be a relationship expert....

don't blame me, look at evolutionary perspective, women always choose the leader of the pack, the strongest guys, the richer guys....

For men, based on evolutionary theory, choose girls (unconscious) with wider hips, big chest because in that way, the survival rate of their offspring is higher...

don't blame me, look at evolutionary perspective, women always choose the leader of the pack, the strongest guys, the richer guys....

For men, based on evolutionary theory, choose girls (unconscious) with wider hips, big chest because in that way, the survival rate of their offspring is higher...

If that's the case for you then which school they go to shouldn't matter. Being in dental school doesn't mean much if that's your theory. What really comes down for you should be dating guys who are into their 50s or even 60s who are financially secured (richer guys,) well respected male, Perhaps is on the board of some kind of committee(leader of the pack,) and works out (physical attributes of being strong.) Ya I know, I don't blame you, just nature:smuggrin: Joooookkiiiiiingggggg btw

Last edited:
We all need to shimmer down. We all know that UOP and UCSF are both great institutions. It is all about personal preferences.

We need to stop acting like we got a chip on our shoulders. It is a personal opinion. Whatever has been said is purely based on personal preference. However, if I had a choice between UOP and UCSF, it would be UCSF without any trepidation. UOP is no doubt a great school, but lets not kid ourselves.

+1

All the dental schools bring something different to the table, it's really up to YOU to discover which type of environment/school you would like to spend the next 4 or 3 years of your life that's all. You really can't say which school is better based on the average GPAs or DAT of their school. That's just being borderline shallow in my opinion. Sure they take people with higher stats, but that doesn't guarantee you'll like their curriculum yourself.

Just gotta be more open minded about schools. Some people would put USC as the best D school in Cali cause they love PBL but most won't. UOP offers great clinical opportunities and it's in California,I dont want to go out of state, that's why it is my #1. It's really about what you like.

UCSF, ya it's also a great school and I really would seriosuly consider going there if I got in, it has a good balance between clinical and research if you wanna do research, that's without a doubt. But if you're somehow not comfortable being in San Fran or maybe the culture at UCSF (A good # of asians and middle easterners,) then it might not be a good match for you. One person I know didn't even apply to UCSF due those reasons. Just personal opinions so there really isn't a need to start belittle other California schools over your top choice.

peerless218, I seriously thought that it was insane for you to sit out a year thinking that UOP will accept you off the last year's waitlist. Seriously, things like that make me think about how professional/humanistic that school is. Anyways, good luck in school!

peerless218, I seriously thought that it was insane for you to sit out a year thinking that UOP will accept you off the last year's waitlist. Seriously, things like that make me think about how professional/humanistic that school is. Anyways, good luck in school!

Haha trust me junkemaills, I took A LOT of HEAT from my peers, friends at my undergrad(especially Orarcle,) few dentists I shadowed for, and couple SDNers. They all thought I was crazy and lost my mind. I talked to a lot of UOP associates before I made that choice. I simply believed in the school and I love the school THAT MUCH so I gambled. Turned out pretty good for me this year. I got 1 full year to sit around and not do anything. What a break.....what a break.

From an outsider (not from CA), I would say that UCSF is the top dental school in CA. I do agree that it really doesn't matter which school you go to as long as you're happy going there. However, in terms of quality of the faculty and student body, I was extremely impressed with UCSF when I interviewed there.