"best" direct patient care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EJSXO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school I want to apply to requires 500+ hours of direct patient care, including patient care technician, EMT, or CNA. Coursework that requires certification is ideal.

What does a PA program look more highly upon? I have a BS in chemistry and can crank out the last few prerequisites over the next 2 semesters while working full time. If all goes well, I'd be an applicant for the Fall 2011 semester. I was thinking EMT may be the way to go...I can get it in 6 months and work it for a few months and apply to programs. EMT courses are offered both by Respond Right and by a community college....I'm not sure which one is more favorable. I inquired with the admissions department about it.

What should I pursue in order to obtain the direct patient care hours?

Members don't see this ad.

emt>cna.
keep in mind that although 500 hrs is the min, the avg for accepted applicants may be much higher. the more experience you can get the better. askthe program about stats of the current students. you may find that it is > 1000 hrs.
my local program had an avg of 8000 hrs last yr....