Best doctoral programs for an unusual trauma interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

River0fWords

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be applying to doctoral programs in clinical psychology this fall and was wondering whether you might be able to suggest programs/faculty that match my somewhat non-traditional interests. I hope to eventually be able to design and evaluate programs for psychosocial support for individuals and/or communities that have experienced trauma. I would love to engage in clinical practice, mobilize large-scale resources to meet urgent needs, and use leadership skills, all in ways that are informed by quality research. The work of people like Debra Kaysen (esp. her work in the Congo), Devon Hinton, Ruth Barron & Jennifer Leaning (psychiatrists) are of interest to me, although I think I might also be content doing trauma-related work with domestic populations. I am most interested in schools that are moderately research-oriented (4-5 out of 7), and I am also keeping an eye out for dual degree programs that would allow me to receive a PhD in clinical psych and an MPH since my interests are interdisciplinary. I have been advised to look at faculty with dissemination/implementation, trauma, and/or cross-cultural research interests but am also open to other ideas.

Can you think of any programs or mentors that might be a good fit? I'm having a really hard time drawing up a list, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't realize that the trauma thread already existed on SDN. Thanks for pointing that out lcculus8.

Thanks for the suggestion United11. Community psychology is something that I was not familiar with, but it seems like it would be strategic to seek out schools with both clinical and community psych programs. Those schools will be more likely to have faculty that are doing work that is consistent with my long-term goals.