Best Electives to take in Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalinthemental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, so I had a question for all of you. I'm currently a Freshman Bio major and have about 20+ hours from high school credit (not pre-reqs, don't worry) and have a lot of free space in my schedule to take lots of electives or perhaps double major.

I was wondering if you could share what interesting courses you have taken and loved in Under-Grad, whether it be courses useful for D-School (like Microbiology or Immunology) or completely unrelated courses like Humanities and Accounting. Or courses you wished you had taken/a double major you wish you had pursued!

I think it'd be an interesting change seeing as how most threads on here are currently applicants stressed out :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys, so I had a question for all of you. I'm currently a Freshman Bio major and have about 20+ hours from high school credit (not pre-reqs, don't worry) and have a lot of free space in my schedule to take lots of electives or perhaps double major.

I was wondering if you could share what interesting courses you have taken and loved in Under-Grad, whether it be courses useful for D-School (like Microbiology or Immunology) or completely unrelated courses like Humanities and Accounting. Or courses you wished you had taken/a double major you wish you had pursued!

I think it'd be an interesting change seeing as how most threads on here are currently applicants stressed out :)

How useful they will be in dental school? I hope they all will be lol but the courses that interested me and I did well on were almost all of my upper division biologies. Pre-req bio courses we're grueling and maniacal because they were weed out courses (also I wasn't effective in time management and studying habits so that had a huge role) but nonetheless, the interesting courses for me were Embryology, Marine Biology, Physiology, Anatomy (loved anatomy lab more than lec), Microbiology (loved lecture more than lab), Nutrition (easy class but was common sense knowledge and cool), Cell Biology; also one Poli Sci course and that's only cause my prof was a badass.

Most schools suggest you to take recommended courses. This is because you will encounter familiar material in dental school. I would highly take those courses, such as anatomy, physiology, cell biology. Some of my friends that are currently in dental school have found these courses to be helpful. Since they have background on those courses, they spend less time studying and allocating that time to more difficult dental school courses. Some schools even require micro as a pre-req, so I would go ahead and get that out of the way as well.

Also, a lot of schools like to see you with complete humanities courses such as sociology and psychology. An art/sculpting course would also seem a bit more appealing to your application, as it may help you with manual dexterity.

I am a biology major, so I thought most of the sciences courses were intriguing, but it all depends on yourself and the professor's style of lecture/presentation.