Best Electronic Medical Records/E-Prescribing Software for Solo Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtlewonder

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recommendations for an Electronic Medical Records/E-prescribing Software for Solo Practice Psychiatrist? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Practice Fusion
I read somewhere that Practice Fusion de-identifies patient data and sells it. Do you know if that's true? If so, I wonder how de-identified it is. I would worry a patient might recognize their information if it ended up being sold somewhere. Seems risky for psychiatry.

If they are selling patient data do you have to put this in the patient's informed consent?

I read somewhere that Practice Fusion de-identifies patient data and sells it. Do you know if that's true? If so, I wonder how de-identified it is. I would worry a patient might recognize their information if it ended up being sold somewhere. Seems risky for psychiatry.

If they are selling patient data do you have to put this in the patient's informed consent?

I wouldn't know. I use practice fusion for scheduling, eRx, and lab reporting. I hate typing in front of patients as it is distracting and less personal. eRx can save patients time or I wouldn't do it. Lab reporting saves paper.

That said, I do not write notes in a way that patients could identify themselves.

It's been a while since I read the article. I try and find it and link it. It was talking about the drawbacks of the free EMR's which is basically that that they're free because they're interested in collecting patient data to sell. That's concerning. If that's going on with these EMR's, then I think that that needs to be added to the informed consent because I think it might make patients really unhappy to find out their personal medical information collected in EMR's is being sold to the highest bidder, de-identified or not. My understanding is that CVS and ExpressScripts are already selling our data. I hate to think of that happening at doctor's offices, too.

This wasn't the article I read. I can't find that article at the moment, but this one addresses some concerns with Practice Fusion:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...oback=.gde_4203297_member_5838362843476414466

I don't mean to pick on Practice Fusion, specifically. I'm just as concerned about some of the others.

Last edited:
I use practice fusion for it all. It's very simple, and since I only take one insurance, BCBS, PF + Availity is all I need. I usually get reimbursed within 3 days (Availity), and I don't have to worry about holding onto paper for 7 years (PF). If there's ever a point that the two interface, I'm all set. At first PF isn't very psych friendly, but if you have some good templates -- and learn how to navigate the system -- it's very convenient. (I also use labs and pharmacies that integrate directly in PF, so refill requests and lab results are right there for me to review, and patients can see them by logging on).