Best EPPP study materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knacke1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just graduated and need to start studying for the EPPP, anyone have any input into which study materials are best?

That being said, anyone looking to sell recent test prep materials?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just graduated and need to start studying for the EPPP, anyone have any input into which study materials are best?

That being said, anyone looking to sell recent test prep materials?

Thanks!

I recommend the free hand-me-downs. The test itself is expensive enough!

More specifically, I felt that the Academic Review stuff was the best for my learning style (e.g., reading and answering quiz questions across smaller modules). Psychprep was more meh - but that just reflects my personal opinion.

To contrast Pragma....I found PsychPrep to be the most helpful for my learning style, as I had a very good foundation, but I needed to get comfortable with how the questions were asked. Hand-me-down study materials can be great, it just depends what you need to work on. I had access to AATBS stuff, and I felt like it was very comprehensive....but at times the written info seems overly involved. The exams were the hardest of the practice exams I tried. Definitely give yourself time and take a bunch of practice exams, as it felt like by the time I took my exam I had "seen" most of the questions.

The "experimental" questions on the EPPP threw me a bit, as there are 50 of them, so the exam takes that much longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have any thoughts on the best EPPP materials? I want to use one with DVDs that I can listen to in the car while commuting back and forth. Where's the best place to buy? Ebay? Thanks!

Also do I need the online testing - testmasters and things like that? Those cannot be bought on ebay and would really jack up the price.

I highly, highly recommend the online testbanks. You can get the password to someone else's account by going on Craigslist. Many people post on there offering you access to their online test banks if you pay half.

You should probably just post this once and not in a bunch of threads. the most recent eppp thread probably would be the most appropriate.

Taylor Study Method (TSM) = EPIC FAIL - TWICE!

Please beware of Taylor Study Method's unauthorized charges, solicitation harassment and a bogus "pass guarantee." I failed the EPPP twice using only Taylor Study Method for well over a year. I asked to receive the extra study time they promise if someone fails the EPPP and they said "sure, no problem, how much time do you need?" Then went behind my back and charged me for the 30 days I asked for, an unauthorized charge of $350!!!. They refused to return the money after I have spent thousands of dollars and have gone through their entire program multiple times.

I am currently in a merchant dispute situation which will hopefully resolve, but this has been a horrible experience. I should never have trusted Taylor Study Method, specifically Jolene or Karmell. I would have been better off using my limited funds towards a well respected and trusted EPPP study method provider such as AATBS or Academic Review.

Hopefully this post can serve to warn someone else to steer clear of this unethical company. Please avoid Taylor Study Method. Best of luck.

Christina Woods, Ph.D.

Reactions: 1 users

Please beware of Taylor Study Method's unauthorized charges, solicitation harassment and a bogus "pass guarantee." I failed the EPPP twice using only Taylor Study Method for well over a year. I asked to receive the extra study time they promise if someone fails the EPPP and they said "sure, no problem, how much time do you need?" Then went behind my back and charged me for the 30 days I asked for, an unauthorized charge of $350!!!. They refused to return the money after I have spent thousands of dollars and have gone through their entire program multiple times.

I am currently in a merchant dispute situation which will hopefully resolve, but this has been a horrible experience. I should never have trusted Taylor Study Method, specifically Jolene or Karmell. I would have been better off using my limited funds towards a well respected and trusted EPPP study method provider such as AATBS or Academic Review.

Hopefully this post can serve to warn someone else to steer clear of this unethical company. Please avoid Taylor Study Method. Best of luck.

Christina Woods, Ph.D.
As a prior member of TSM who found great success using their program I found your rant quite inaccurate. My experiences with Karmell and the TSM group were excellent. I followed the program exactly as suggested but was horribly sick the day of the exam and unfortunately did not pass. I was given my 3 months pass guarantee and upon taking the exam the 2nd time passed it with flying colors.

Dr. S. Lichtenberg

I have been using psych prep and aatbs. Among other things like audio cd and flash cards. I recommend aatbs but what I found to be best is reading through psych prep and understanding the information and then reading aatbs. Next is to review using flash cards and then lots of practice tests!!!

I listen to the audio in my car or while exercising.

And the most important thing is POSITIVE ATTITUDE that you will pass this test.

Reactions: 1 user

Christina Woods, Ph.D.

I agree Christina! I also failed twice using TSM spent thousands and got the run around and over charged. I'd recommend Psych Prep or AR. Much more legit and professional
Lis

I mentioned this before on sdn, but I found a study on EPPP success and review materials. AR came out best quickly followed by AATBS ~1% or so lower and then a fair amount to a lot lower by others.

I used AR materials bought on ebay and after a few months was getting 80% plus on the online tests and did very well on the EPPP.

I used PsychPrep and while I did just pass the EPPP first time, I did not feel that the material covered by PsychPrep was representative of what was on the exam. PsychPrep provides, in addition to a 500-pg manual, access to several mock exams (with questions they, not ASPPB construct). This provides practice on test-taking strategy followed by in-depth review on each and every question (and answer choice). In theory this sounds great, but when I finally took the ASPPB practice exam and the real EPPP, the content of questions were noticeably different from PsychPreps practice exams. PsychPrep's course felt like a well structured review of the discipline of psychology, but poor preparation for the final EPPP exam. If I was to do it over, I would choose a different provider of materials.

One final comment, PsychPrep seems to be marketed more at people who have trouble passing the EPPP, more so than reviewing the relevant content material to pass. The difference here, is that maybe PsychPrep is more geared towards teaching effective multiple-choice strategy. If you know the content but have trouble applying it (e.g. have failed the test despite good academics), PsychPrep maybe the best bet, but if you are less familiar with the content (either your studies were years ago, or you're from overseas), then another company might be more useful.