Best FP Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have heard of a great FP residency, tell the rest of us so we can research it. Almost all specialties seem to have well known top residencies, but you rarely ever hear of FP having the same. I am trying to find a place where I will be with people who are my fellow residents who are there because they truly want to do Family Medicine. I want to have colleagues that are as enthusiastic about FP as I, and I want to be surrounded by the best and brightest. Does anyone know an FP program that historically takes applicants with very good stats and is thought of as being highly competitive to get in. Anyone know any unopposed programs with similar credentials , or places where FP residents get the full scope of training available to them? Anyone know a good resource that ranks or lists stats about FP residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

matt-several california programs fit the bill:
ventura county( #1 fp residency in the country according to many)
conta costa county
natividad monterey county

also in the northwest:
klamath falls/ohsu rural track(or)
providence miluakie( or), new but good
tacoma family medicine(wa)
spokane family medicine(rural track)(wa)
family medicine of sw washington( wa)

also montana family medicine(mt)
several small programs in me., vt., nh also similar.

matt- I am a few years behind you but the above is my wish list as of now.these are all small unopposed programs where the fp residents run the show on every service from trauma to ob.

I agree with empeda...especially about Ventura. In fact, I doubt you'd find much argument about them being at the front of the pack. With that comes an intense amount of competition - especially if you're from outside CA. So, if you want to go to Ventura, you better be dang good.

PS - I went to undergrad in Santa Barbara, which is 35 min N of Ventura and the area's great...especially if you surf (V gets better waves than SB in general).

Keep in mind that the list from empeda is more of a "procedure-oriented" list, which isn't for everyone. You'll work like a dog at Ventura (even within the 80-hour work week thing). There are other top programs like Kentucky that are more medically-oriented and a little less demanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
PACtoDOC-

The top 3 factors for most going into FP are location, location and location. Most people are there because they either didn't have to move, are close to family, or it is a nice/scenic place to live. Program attributes have little to do with the choice for MANY (although not all).

You are considered taking the road less travelled by for FP. Many are either not as ambitious as you, or have bought into the concensus that FP's shouldn't be doing scopes, OB or C-sections.

If you want to get a true feel - email the program directors at places you are interested. Ask about learning full colonoscopy and EGD and what numbers their grads get. If you get a wishy washy excuse about FPs not being able to really do these things in practice, MOVE ON.

have you read this:?
www.psot.com/Documents/oscars.doc

start there, then read all you can from the www.psot.com site

I was actually just talking to an FP interviewee about this recently and she told me that nationally, University of Washington probably has the best rep. There are community programs with national stature as well though, I think that Christiana in Deleware might meet that criteria. I'm not an FP applicant, so I don't know though. Whatever you do, do not go by the US News and World report ranking in primary care to determine program reputation. I know that they ranked the university of Maryland fairly high up there, and being an inner city progra, we had trouble filling our FP program last year.

Has anyone heard anything about the Naval program in Bremerton as far as reputation and obstetrics/procedures training.

Chillin.
I go to medical school in Texas so I know about the programs out here a little more than the ones on the west coast. In Texas, I would say the ones that are the most highly thought of are Waco, and Santa Rosa in San Antonio. John Peter Smith in Ft. Worth is probably the most intense and procedure oriented and they almost fill 24 residency slots each year which I think is pretty impressive for FP. From my interviews thus far, I will say that most programs are capable of adapting to suit your training needs to a certain extent. I've interviewed at nine places (5 in Texas, 3 in NC, 1 in PA), and have been impressed with the majority of them.