Best gap year option for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian male from NY. Currently a senior in Biomedical engineering and biology minor. I'll be taking a year off and applying next year. I've been thinking of what to do during my gap year, and I think it'll depend on whether or not my application needs more clinical experience. If I do, then I'll keep looking into medical scribe/medical assistant sort of jobs. If I don't, then I'll go through the job search like everyone else. By the time I apply, my ECs will consist of:
  • 1 year on engineering senior design project
  • 1 summer as a research assistant at Harvard School of Dental Medicine for pathology research
  • 1 semester of microfluidics research for global health applications
  • ~ 2 years of clinical volunteering at a hospital, 3 hrs/week
  • ~ 20 hours of shadowing of 1 MD
  • 1 year as Engineering Student Body Vice President, 2 years as Engineering Class Treasurer.
  • 2 years as Engineering Freshmen Advisor
  • 2 years as Engineering Dean's Host
  • 2 semesters as a Lab Teaching Assistant for Human Physiology
I do realize I'm a little light on shadowing, hoping to find another physician to shadow this semester.

What do you guys think? Should I work on gaining more clinical experience during my gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been thinking of what to do during my gap year

Do what you think is worth your time doing.
If you truly think more clinical experience is worth your time, then go for it.

I think being a medical scribe would be worth my time, and also boost my clinical experience. I've been having a hard time finding a position though, because I'm in a major city and a lot of the positions are already filled. Still waiting to hear back from a few places though