General Admissions & OTCAS Best GRE Prep Book or Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOT17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

I didn't get in this time around, so I plan to retake the GRE at the end of the summer and hopefully bring my scores up. There are so many guides and courses out there. It's so confusing!

But what source did you use to study? How did you like it and would you recommend it to others?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If possible, consider the MAT -- I studied hard, but got in the 90th percentile for OT students. Don't think I could have touched anywhere near that on the GRE, and they are weighted equally.

Just a suggestion, and obviously YMMV. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine used Benchprep. It looks pretty cool!

Do all schools have to accept the MAT? I haven't really looked into it. And I can't lie, I had to look up what YMMV hahaha :p

A friend of mine used Benchprep. It looks pretty cool!

Do all schools have to accept the MAT? I haven't really looked into it. And I can't lie, I had to look up what YMMV hahaha :p

Haha, pretty sure internet-borne acronyms are not on the MAT, so you should be good. Every school I looked at accepted the MAT, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they "have to accept" it. Just look at the programs you're interested in, and see what they need from you. Odds are a lot of them will accept it, and it's a viable alternative for the mathematically challenged (like me).

I emailed one school so far and they said they only take the GRE. That stinks because I am not fantastic at math.

Guess I better get to studying soon. I am aiming to take the test at the end of August.

Any chance anyone knows of any schools that accept the MAT? On the pretest it said I should score between the 75 to 95 percentile (I know, big range there!), so I'd like to take advantage of the possibility of me doing reasonably well. ;)

I second Magoosh.
Mostly because 160 Q 168 V, which would not have happened without it.
But YMMV.

I found an app.. GradeStack something or other. Which was convenient when I'm just hanging out somewhere with my cell (like.. at my restaurant job when there's no customers). I did really well on verbal (164), and I liked their flashcards. But whether I was lazy, or their quantitative section wasn't great (benefit of the doubt--I'm lazy and hate math), I didn't do so well with that. I felt like the GRE was harder with math than on my practice problems.

I have heard amazing things about Magoosh--the practice math problems are more challenging than what you'll see on the actual GRE, so you're able to really practice those skills. Since I'll be retaking (sigh), I am going to try them out.