Best GRE Prep Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcc4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations as to GRE prep books (Princeton Review, Barrons, Kaplan)? Which ones seemed to prepare you best for the exam and do any in particular include online practice exams? Thanks for your insights!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the GRE yet (I will at the end of may), but I have both the Kaplan book and the Princeton Reviews. Both have practice tests but I'm liking Kaplan's better so far.

I have Princeton Review's "Cracking the GRE" which I found super helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been using Kaplan's Premiere (came with timed online tests to simulate the real thing) and Magoosh GRE. I've really enjoyed Magoosh. I got the full program for $99. A little pricey, but it has over 1,000 questions, video lessons for any and every topic, and some full-length tests. I've found I'm more likely to do online/computerized studying vs using a book. :)

See if your school library has any copies of the Kaplan or Princeton GRE review, both were great and free if you can find them in the lib!!

If you can afford a little extra, the Princeton GRE prep online class was extremely helpful!! They really help you out!

If you can afford a little extra, the Princeton GRE prep online class was extremely helpful!! They really help you out!

Definitely agree. I signed up for the Kaplan class that you have to attend in person, only because I knew for myself I needed the accountability of weekly deadlines to keep up with the prep. Looking back though, the online resources were awesome and would probably have been enough - my score went up by about 10 points in both verbal/quant over about a 2 month period. Also, I'd say their resources are a bit harder than the actual test, so if you are testing around where you want to be with their practice tests, you will be solid for test day.

Good luck with your prep!

EDIT: I just realized you mentioned Princeton, not Kaplan, oops! Regardless though, I think the online prep component is super helpful.

I'm taking the GRE in a little over two weeks and I have to say that if you can afford it Manhattan Prep is excellent - I didn't take their online course or whatever but their prep books are really thorough. I bought their "5lb book of practice problems" plus one of their subject-specific books and the subject-specific ones come with 6 online practice tests. They have pretty hard math sections on the practice tests so when I took the ETS ones I actually found them kind of easy.

See if your school library has any copies of the Kaplan or Princeton GRE review, both were great and free if you can find them in the lib!!

yeah, this. I only used free library books (from county public library system). Plus, that way you can get a selection of different ones and try them all out.

I bought all my stuff from Amazon:

*ETS's "The Official Guide to the GRE revised General Test"
*Barron's New GRE, 19th Edition
*Barron's Essential Words for the GRE --> Unfortunately this book was a waste of time for me since I don't think any of the words in this book actually showed up on the GRE, but obviously they could be of help to others.

I got these books about 5 weeks or so before my test and studied 2-3 hours every night, working my way through the verbal and math sessions (saving the practice exams for last).

About a week or so before the test I took 1 or 2 practice exams each night, ending with the practice exams provided by the ETS CD. (note: the CD isn't compatible with Macs so you need a PC).

I purchased the full Manhattan Prep GRE book set and thought it was excellent. The included online practice tests were nearly identical in format to the actual test.

Last edited:
The Princeton Review Cracking the GRE along with a smaller book of vocab words, I'm not sure but I believe it was Barons, were great. The math is no more complicated than high school level math so for me, just taking a few words a day and studying them was extremely helpful along with practice problems from Princeton Review. Good luck!

Note that there are several free prep .pdfs on the ETS website, including a full math review of everything that could come up on the test. It doesn't have many practice problems, if I recall, but it's a good compact review.
I also say that FreeRice is the only vocab prep anyone needs, but that's just me.

I used Cliffnotes Standardized Test Math Review, but it didn't have test examples, just lots of practice problems with concepts and methods. It was helpful in reviewing tricks and tips to save some time on problems. I also used Barron's and Princeton Review books and signed up for merriam Webster word of the day emails, which are free. Flashcards are helpful for some people but I didn't find it that helpful so I tried reading articles from the Atlantic, Economist, etc, just to be more familiar with types of readings that may be on the test.

i downloaded a couple apps on my phone and they helped a great deal on the vocab portion. I studied while waiting for the bus/waiting for class etc.... I also did the online practice tests which I felt really helped me get a feel for the actual test.

I did purchase Barron's prep book but personally found it not so useful...just so boring. :/ looking back I think I would have seriously benefitted from taking a class. If you are not so self-motivated and if English and math are not strengths I would recommend an actual class! :)

The Kaplan book is VERY helpful, so are the verbal flashcards. It teaches great skills for quickly and easily answering questions. The practice disc simulates the exam very well. The only draw back was that the disc of the 2012 version was NOT WELL EDITED! There were many errors in the quantitative section. For example, the calculated answer may be 300 and the options are A. 250 B. 325 C. 275 D.250 (not a typo, it duplicates answers!) But anyhow, you select one of the answers (any of them), and it tells you that you are wrong because the answer is 300.

It did help me do well on the GRE, but it also caused a lot of frustration during studying.

What is the best GRE study prep books out there to purchase? The posts up here are pretty old.

I third Magoosh

Reactions: 1 user