Best Healthcare Programs / Jobs for GAP year before Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niravana21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello members, this is my first post so please bare with me if this isn't the right place for this post.

I'm currently a senior expecting to graduate in May. I've decided to take a year off before applying to medical school in order to get more research/ first hand experience in a hospital setting.

My question for you guys is: can you recommend any paid programs that I can apply to for a research position / healthcare related? I'm extremely interested in HIV research, so programs in that field would be extremely interesting to me, but anything that can give me more experience while being able to work in a hospital would be great.

something like this for example: http://uscdornsifehub.com/2012/03/2...ch-opportunity-posting-for-post-bacspre-meds/
(it was only available for 2012)

If you don't have any specific programs in mind, any suggestions on any types of jobs a pre-med can pursue after graduating? I have about 2 years worth of experience doing clinical research in an emergency dept, so I could say I have that kind of experience.

Any help whatsoever would be extremely helpful.

NP

PS I've been google'ing for the past few days. Thought I'd take some suggestions now.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a research position with NIH's post-baccalaureate program and try and find a nearby clinical volunteer experience, medical office, or scribe program to work for part-time.

thanks mwall.

I've looked into the NIH post-bac postion, but realisitically speaking, I don't think I would get accepted. But I tend to apply anyways.

Do you / members know of what kind of job I can acquire or look into as a recent grad in a hospital? I've applied to many jobs at a hospital via their "job search" but I get the feeling these jobs are mainly based on connections. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a research position with NIH's post-baccalaureate program and try and find a nearby clinical volunteer experience, medical office, or scribe program to work for part-time.

One of my best friends works there in one of these programs and loves it. All his housemates are NIH staff as well. It's a great program. If you want real clinical exposure though, you can always get a job in clinical research that deals with HIV research. My friend from undergrad did that and she loved it.

do you know where she applied? for the HIV research?