Best Home Coffee maker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been using the Tassimo for the last 6 or so years... I love their expresso disks + my old hospital used to carry them. New gig has crappy coffee and I gave my old Tassimo away to a friend who liked it. Generally I like a strong coffee with a touch of half and half. I do like Starbucks new "Flat White"... but only as a Tall as the grande carries way too much milk.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the nespresso?

18658218573342p

Def. like the idea of the reusable K-cup from Keurig... This way I can pick my own coffee and prolly saves some $$ over time.

41MvdE3wmkL.jpg

And then there are the expresso machines- very inviting. I know nothing about them, except that the ones I grew up with were hard to clean.

41GEJM8TPSL._SY355_.jpg

So I have Latin blood and Coffee is a way of life in my family.... Juan Valdez is like my second cousin... but I don't like his coffee too much. Plus... anesthesia and coffee go hand in hand right?

aBYoLvcCQd2fcy2r4egh_old_school_juan_valdez.jpg

anesthesia_coffee.jpg

What's in your home and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reusable K-cup from Keurig FTW - especially for anyone who likes to drink black drip coffee over espresso based coffees. I still buy over the counter one-time-use K-cups, but have found that they are much weaker than what I can make with the reusable K-cup and my favorite ground coffee.

I've tried Nespresso at various hotels I've stayed at and wasn't terribly impressed with the espresso. Perhaps the pods were the problem, but in general, I expected more out of this machine.

I may be biased because I was a barista in a former life.

Reuseable k-cup. Use whole bean that is kept in fridge/freezer and ground just before brewing. Drink black.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking for a pod type machine, the Nespresso line is imo the best out there. What makes them so good is in part the machine but also mainly the coffee beans and the process used to seal the grounded beans into the pods. They have a level of freshness that you won't find with keurig. Highly recommend a Nespresso if you looking for a high quality cup coffee/espresso without spending to much for the machine.

The picture of the Gaggia is a semi-automatic espresso machine. I have something similar but honestly don't use it much. If you get really skillful with it, it makes great espresso drinks. The problem is that it just takes to much time plus cleaning it is a major pain.

This is what I use everyday.

Jura-Ena-Micro-9.jpg

super easy to use. Just push one button and you get your cup of coffee, espresso, or even latte. the best part is that whole beans are poured in the back and for each cup, just enough beans are ground. It's a little pricey, but I've petty much stopped going to starbucks now.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a nespresso for my wedding and I do like it. It's good for fast/easy espresso. I don't use it for coffee though. I have a cuisinart k-cup machine that is great for normal days and a french press for days when I'm feeling fancy.

the ekobrew reusuable k-cup goes great with the cuisinart:
ss_ekobrew_final_199x300.jpg

one piece, very easy to clean and you can switch from that to normal k-cups without putting in an adaptor

Agree with Nespresso. Keurig, to me, tastes awful - very weak and stale. Breville espresso machines are great, albeit a bit on the expensive side. I also have an Aerobie Aeropress that is dirt cheap and makes better and fresher coffee than Keurig, BY FAR. :)

btw go check out Sur La Table if you have one near you. They have a lot of these machines there that you can go try out for yourself.

We like coffee in my house.

From left to right, Izzo Alex Duetto III, Mazzer mini, Keurig POS for the wife, Technivorm mochamaster. Got a few insulated French presses too. And in the garage, a programmable Hottop.

I'm working on modding the Hottop for full manual control with a bean temp probe.

I have the espresso machine on a timer so it's already warmed up and ready to go when I am. Only takes 3 minutes to make a nice latte or cap to start the day. Cleaning is as simple as knocking the puck out of the portafilter and rinsing it. The setup was expensive, but I enjoy it every day, and more so whenever we have guests to caffeinate. I used to have a Gaggia superauto, but those things have cheap plastic parts that break with time and are difficult to fix. Moreover, once I learned to appreciate coffee better, I didn't like the limitations of a superauto. Now I'm primarily focused on learning good roast development.

Attachments

• IMG_7489.jpg
    IMG_7489.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7488.jpg
    IMG_7488.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got a Rancilio Silva v3 espresso machine and use illy pods in it. I think it's much better than my Keurig which I gave away and the Illy pods require no clean-up. They're expensive but cheaper and more convenient than going to a coffee shop. I tried the reusable Keurig filter, didn't like the coffee and found it a pain to clean.

illy-espresso-pods.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really like great coffee i would strongly discourage the use of a pod based machine. I would be shocked if what they put in those pods is anything more than second grade material deemed unworthy to be packaged as whole beans.
I have a nespresso and it's easy to use but the coffee is just ok.

Definitely check out Technivorm Moccamaster products. They are a little pricey, but worth it.

They make a single cup version called the Moccamaster Cup One (only sold in USA through williams sonoma at the moment). Fast, minimal upkeep (no carafe to clean). I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and this is perfect because I can make one cup at a time.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/technivorm-moccamaster-one-cup-coffee-brewer/

Pair it with a nice burr grinder, like one of these (Amazon product)

Freshly grind your beans directly before use, and prepare yourself for the best cup of coffee you've ever made in your home in <5 minutes

This is what I use everyday.

Jura-Ena-Micro-9.jpg

super easy to use. Just push one button and you get your cup of coffee, espresso, or even latte. the best part is that whole beans are poured in the back and for each cup, just enough beans are ground. It's a little pricey, but I've petty much stopped going to starbucks now.

I'm interested in what you are saying about this machine. What the heck is it?

I second the technivorm. I make a pot and fill a thermos. Grind my own beans freshly. Thinking about buying green coffee beans and roasting my own. I also have a water cooler that I use for coffee. Tap water in my town is sh1t.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a Chemex. Coffee Labs have showed it is consistently the best way to brew coffee.

I'm interested in what you are saying about this machine. What the heck is it?

Basically, a super automatic coffee/espresso machine. By pushing one button, you can make either an espresso, latte, mach, or just plain ole coffee. The machine does everything else even froths the milk and grinds the beans for each cup. The quality is really good. You even get a nice layer of crema on top of you espresso and coffee. Now granted, you can probably get a better cup by the setup that powermd has above, but for me that would just take to much time with setup and clean up. This machine will make whatever you want in about 30 secs and then cleans itself.

https://us.jura.com/en/homeproducts/machines/ENA-Micro-9-OT-MicroSilver-UL-13625/Specifications#tabs

Keep in mind, this machine is worthless unless you use some high quality fresh beans. Whichever beans you use check for the roast date on the back. I avoid buying beans roasted over a week ago.

Super automatic expresso machine... I love the name. It sounds like a super-hero.
Good little recap here:

Last edited:
If you really like great coffee i would strongly discourage the use of a pod based machine. I would be shocked if what they put in those pods is anything more than second grade material deemed unworthy to be packaged as whole beans.
I have a nespresso and it's easy to use but the coffee is just ok.

The beauty of my setup is that it's not a pod-based machine. You can buy or roast the best beans available and make a mess or pop an illy pod in there and do a taste test. I liked illy more than whole bean organic espresso roast from whole foods, the taste not just the clean-up, and stuck with it, but my machine would work either way. I'm sure there are better beans out there not to mention roasting them myself, but so far I haven't felt the need.
I've tried 15 or so roasts of a couple of different pod-limited machines and they don't compare.
Anyway, if you chose a manual espresso machine, you have nothing to lose by trying an illy pod. You can still roast, grind, and pack your own beans if illy isn't your jam.

We like coffee in my house.

From left to right, Izzo Alex Duetto III, Mazzer mini, Keurig POS for the wife, Technivorm mochamaster. Got a few insulated French presses too. And in the garage, a programmable Hottop.

I'm working on modding the Hottop for full manual control with a bean temp probe.

I have the espresso machine on a timer so it's already warmed up and ready to go when I am. Only takes 3 minutes to make a nice latte or cap to start the day. Cleaning is as simple as knocking the puck out of the portafilter and rinsing it. The setup was expensive, but I enjoy it every day, and more so whenever we have guests to caffeinate. I used to have a Gaggia superauto, but those things have cheap plastic parts that break with time and are difficult to fix. Moreover, once I learned to appreciate coffee better, I didn't like the limitations of a superauto. Now I'm primarily focused on learning good roast development.

pwermd is for realz... we have a playa in da house! :cigar:

Looked at the Izzo Alex Dueto III and IV... that machine makes an incredible looking extract. How's the upkeep? Kinda like the sound of a one touch button, but then again this looks like a fine machine. Saw a video that revealed the inside of the Izzo... very solid and industrial looking. :thumbup:

The Alex Duetto reminds me of an anesthesia machine...

1280_izzo.png

Last edited:
Starter: Saeco Vienna Deluxe. (now the Intelia)
Middler: Saeco Incanto Sirius (old model) now Exprelia or Minuto , Gaggia Titanium
Pro: Jura XJ9pro, Gaggia Academica

Old fart or pretentious bastard: LaPavoni Europiccola. It is near impossible to get a good pull on this machine, and if you do you brag about it. I failed and moved on as above. 2 Vienna, 1 Incanto, 1 Academica, and no the Jura.
I like Pilon whole beans and I get them in 8lb orders from javacabana.com

pwermd is for realz... we have a playa in da house! :cigar:

Looked at the Izzo Alex Dueto III and IV... that machine makes an incredible looking extract. How's the upkeep? Kinda like the sound of a one touch button, but then again this looks like a fine machine. Saw a video that revealed the inside of the Izzo... very solid and industrial looking. :thumbup:

A superauto is worth it if you find Starbucks quality coffee acceptable and have no interest in learning the craft of espresso making. If you're hoping for something more, definitely look toward a semi auto. I had a Gaggia for about 3 years before the steamer broke. I found the shots a little better than Starbucks, but the steamer wand left a lot to be desired.

Once you have the setup in place, making espresso on a semi takes very little time for a very high quality product. I find it's definitely the path of least resistance to coffee making in the morning, and you see how many options I have on the counter!

Everyone who buys one of these goes through the same tough purchase decisions. I decided early on I wanted minimal compromises that would leave me wishing for more later. That meant 1) double boiler (no futzing with a heat exchanger to save a few dollars), 2) steam wand of uncompromising power, 3) pre-infusion, 4) rep for reliability, 5) eye catching good looks.

It came down to the Alex III, the Profitec 700, and the ECM Technika. I went with the Alex because I could get a 1-year old used model on Ebay for $2k, saving a few hundred bucks. The Profitec and ECM would have been closer to $3k or more.

I'm happy with my decison, but in retrospect I would have spent the few hundred more to buy brand new from Chris's Coffee Service. Their service rep online is exceptional, and I would like to have rewarded that with a purchase. In comparison, I read iffy reviews of service from Wholelattelove.

Maintenance is as simple as backflushing every now and then. I use reverse osmosis water with a TDS of about 6, so I'm not as worried about mineral deposits as I would be if I were using tap water. I have the unit on a 20 amp circuit, which you need to run both boilers, but I do not have it plumbed in- which you need to use the pre-infusion feature. Maybe when/if I redo my kitchen, that will be included.

I've been very happy with the machine. I'm convinced the quality of my drinks at this point comes down to my grinder, which I've optimized as far as I dare (next step up would be a $2k conical burr), and my bean roasting skills (long way to go there).

For someone looking for the biggest bang for the buck, I would suggest buying a grinder in the $500-800 range, and buying a Rancilio Silvia. That should give a nice intro to the world of higher end espresso for the minimal ante. The Silvia is nice because it can be modded with temp probes, PIDs, etc by the technically inclined.

For the money is no object guy, take a look at the La Marzocco. It's not the prettiest machine, but the rep among espresso enthusiasts is untouchable. For better looks, check out this machine at Clive: http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/slayer_one_group_espresso_machine.html

Here are a few links to places I like to shop for coffee stuff:

http://www.clivecoffee.com/
http://www.chriscoffee.com/
http://www.visionsespresso.com/
https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/

And some good message boards:
http://www.home-barista.com/
http://www.coffeeforums.com/
http://coffeegeek.com/

Any roasters you guys like to buy from? I favor Velton's, love the Twilight Blend. http://www.veltonscoffee.com/

One of the great things about living in NYC is that many roasters from around the country (Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Intelligentsia, etc) are starting to open stores in Manhattan, which makes trying their coffee that much easier.

That said, I'll plug 2 NY based roasters.

1. Oslo Roasters in Brooklyn - small operation, only offer 3 or 4 roasts. I'm currently working my way through some of their Thor House Blend

2. Driftaway Coffee also in Brooklyn - kind of a cool concept. They offer a delivery service where they ship you a new roast weekly, biweekly, etc. They do 4 flavor profiles (fruity, bold, etc), but the particular bean for each profile changes monthly. Initially they send you out a starter kit with a sample of each profile, you try them, and then upload your preferences to their website. After that they will send you a new roast however often depending on your preferences. The wife got me a subscription for christmas and I have been enjoying it for the last couple months. It's a little pricier than most roasters, but you can cancel/pause your subscription at any time.

I'm definitely gonna check out Velton's as well!

i am not a fan of keurig. all the k-cups taste similar to me and have this subtle burnt taste to them. Nespresso is amazing

One of the great things about living in NYC is that many roasters from around the country (Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Intelligentsia, etc) are starting to open stores in Manhattan, which makes trying their coffee that much easier.

1. Oslo Roasters in Brooklyn - small operation, only offer 3 or 4 roasts. I'm currently working my way through some of their Thor House Blend

2. Driftaway Coffee also in Brooklyn - kind of a cool concept. They offer a delivery service where they ship you a new roast weekly, biweekly, etc. They do 4 flavor profiles (fruity, bold, etc), but the particular bean for each profile changes monthly. Initially they send you out a starter kit with a sample of each profile, you try them, and then upload your preferences to their website. After that they will send you a new roast however often depending on your preferences. The wife got me a subscription for christmas and I have been enjoying it for the last couple months. It's a little pricier than most roasters, but you can cancel/pause your subscription at any time.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check them out next time I make it up.

Philly isn't a total wasteland for coffee, there a few good shops with fresh/good selections.

Whenever I'm in NY I pick up beans to bring home, so definitely post your favorites. I'd love to try them. Probably be back in town in May.

I had some really impressive coffee beans imported from Germany by "The Barn". Joe has them at their 23rd St location. I tried "Los Pirineos" and what I liked was how they showcased how nicely developed a lightly roasted (golden brown colored) bean can be. They're expensive, no doubt, but worth it for a taste of truly great roasting. I asked the barista where he would go for great espresso in NY. He named a place in Williamsburg, and Box Kite Coffee in the East Village. Never got around to trying it out.

I was not impressed with any of the beans I've gotten from Sensuous Bean in the UWS, and I've never liked the coffee from Zabars, Porto Rico, or Oren's.

As for lattes and caps, I've had some excellent ones at Irving Farm Roasters (a few different locations), Plowshares on (Broadway/105), Joe (everywhere), Birch (Columbus/97). I love this evolution in coffee the city is seeing. It's like what Starbucks did to diner coffee. These new shops are operating on a whole new level.

Once you have the setup in place, making espresso on a semi takes very little time for a very high quality product. I find it's definitely the path of least resistance to coffee making in the morning, and you see how many options I have on the counter!

Thanks for all the great contributions to this thread. Especially grand master ninja powermd. Couple ?'s

-So on a typical day I get up around 6:20am and I'm out the door by 7am. How much time do you give yourself to make early morning coffee on the way out to work (cleanup included)?

-You said you had a timer on your semi automatic... I've read you need a minimum of 45 minutes to get the machine warmed up and ready to go. Do the automatics bypass this warmup time...? ie turn on, press the magic button and 1 minute later you are ready to go? It seems that the automatics leave a lot to be desired with regards to flexibility with foam/frothyness unless you do it separately... am I correct on this?

I love the thought of a semi-automatic and I like what I've seen on the ECM Technika you suggested. It's quiet, looks beautiful and is super engineered.

My family from South America is coming up in May. I'd like to have this dialed in by then... and want to learn how to poor a nice cup so it looks like this:

34d4d9c355a03e1d221a66af0438cbbf.jpg

My fam. from down south would be like...

3018804-65fec4cc_comment-friday-damn.jpeg

Clearly... I have a lot to learn. I think I may be getting into a new hobby here.

Whenever I'm in NY I pick up beans to bring home, so definitely post your favorites. I'd love to try them. Probably be back in town in May.

I had some really impressive coffee beans imported from Germany by "The Barn". Joe has them at their 23rd St location. I tried "Los Pirineos" and what I liked was how they showcased how nicely developed a lightly roasted (golden brown colored) bean can be. They're expensive, no doubt, but worth it for a taste of truly great roasting. I asked the barista where he would go for great espresso in NY. He named a place in Williamsburg, and Box Kite Coffee in the East Village. Never got around to trying it out.

I was not impressed with any of the beans I've gotten from Sensuous Bean in the UWS, and I've never liked the coffee from Zabars, Porto Rico, or Oren's.

As for lattes and caps, I've had some excellent ones at Irving Farm Roasters (a few different locations), Plowshares on (Broadway/105), Joe (everywhere), Birch (Columbus/97). I love this evolution in coffee the city is seeing. It's like what Starbucks did to diner coffee. These new shops are operating on a whole new level.

Yea, NYC seems to be getting a new roaster every week, it's hard to keep up. Like you seem to, I tend to gravitate more towards smaller roasters that only do a few different roasts at a time, rather than stores that carry 100 different beans (Sensuous Bean, etc).

You mentioned some good cafes and places to buy imports (Box Kite, Joes Pro Shop). The place in Brooklyn was probably Budin, I've never been personally but it's highly regarded.

Here's some roasters off the top of my head you should check out in addition to the 2 I mentioned above (Driftaway is only mail order I believe, no physical location to visit)

1. Stumptown (Broadway/29th, E8th/Washington Squ) - originally from Portland OR, now also roast in Brooklyn. Have been a top roaster for all of USA in numerous polls/rankings, for whatever thats worth.
2. Blue Bottle (numerous locations) - from San Francisco, special place in my heart as they were the first "real" coffee I had after starting on diner/Starbucks.
3. Intelligentsia (Broadway/35th, 10th/21st) - from Chicago, I'm not a huge fan but some people really dig it.
4. Toby's Estate - originally from Australia, now also roast in Brooklyn. 2 shops in Manhattan.

These tend to be more in the same vein as Irving Farm, Plowshares, etc. I'll post more later as I think of them. Happy hunting!

2 more!! this is fun.

1. Gimme! - from upstate NY, have a few NYC cafes
2. 9th St Espresso (multiple locations) - get custom roasts from well-known roasters, also now roast their own I believe

Thanks for all the great contributions to this thread. Especially grand master ninja powermd. Couple ?'s

-So on a typical day I get up around 6:20am and I'm out the door by 7am. How much time do you give yourself to make early morning coffee on the way out to work (cleanup included)?

Here's the breakdown of how long it takes with each of my methods:

Espresso - I timed it at 3:20 start to finish. It only takes 30 seconds to pull a shot and simultaneously steam the milk. So everything else is just setup/breakdown- weighing out 20g of beans (15s), grinding (15s), tamping (5s), getting the milk/pitcher ready (10s), letting the milk settle for 20s before pouring, etc. I dump the puck, rinse the portafilter, and wipe the steam wand while the milk is settling. Another detail you might not realize until you're pulling shots is that every bean (and indeed every individual roast I do) has an optimal grind setting that needs to be worked out. Small changes in the grind setting make the difference between a shot that under extracts over 15s (undrinkable), over extracts over 30-60s+ (not ideal, but quite drinkable, btw), and just right at 25-30s. The good news is that if you're consistently using the same bean, you shouldn't have to tweak the grinder much.

Technivorm - 7 min. This thing is awesome... Assuming a minute to gather beans and water, I brew 24 oz of great coffee in 6 min using this machine. I will ordinarily use 40-50g beans for 24 oz drip coffee.

French press - 12 min. 5 min to boil water on the stove (or 1 min in the garage on my 3500W induction burner!), and 7 min to brew.

-You said you had a timer on your semi automatic... I've read you need a minimum of 45 minutes to get the machine warmed up and ready to go. Do the automatics bypass this warmup time...? ie turn on, press the magic button and 1 minute later you are ready to go? It seems that the automatics leave a lot to be desired with regards to flexibility with foam/frothyness unless you do it separately... am I correct on this?

I had a Tork 701A timer (SDN won't let me post an Amazon link) installed in the wall behind the machine when I upgraded the outlet to 20 amps

The Izzo Alex needs a solid 10 minutes warm up to brew properly, but 20-30 minutes is ideal so all the parts come up to temperature. It takes a bit longer if you're running it on a 15 amp circuit, because the boilers can't fire simultaneously without 20 amps.

Superautos just wing it. Most of the parts are plastic, so there's not much to heat up. I recall my Gaggia would be ready to go in 5-10s.

I love the thought of a semi-automatic and I like what I've seen on the ECM Technika you suggested. It's quiet, looks beautiful and is super engineered.

Take the red pill. It's your destiny, Neo.

My family from South America is coming up in May. I'd like to have this dialed in by then... and want to learn how to poor a nice cup so it looks like this:

34d4d9c355a03e1d221a66af0438cbbf.jpg

Pouring latte art is not that hard.... the patterns just kind of unfold in front of you (the few times I've actually done it). The hard part is steaming the milk just right so it will not push the crema aside and make a big foam dot in the middle of the cup. You want milk that is full of very tightly packed foam that is closer to milk than foam, "microfoam" as the baristas say. Once you get the basic steaming technique down, it's easy to make a pitcher of billowy foam for a cappuccino. It's much harder to dial back on that power so you get the raw material for latte art. I removed the restrictor from inside my steamer wand when I first got the machine because I was trying to compensate for bad technique. Now that my technique is better, I actually think I need the restrictor back. A few things that helped early on- use a small tapered pitcher. Save the larger pitchers with straight sides for when your skill improves. Keep the pitcher in the freezer. The longer it takes for the milk to reach 100F, the more "expansion" you will get. Once you are over 100F, you're not expanding the foam anymore, just heating and texturizing the milk. Don't bother with a thermometer unless you're steaming a big pitcher of milk. Learn to use touch as your thermometer. I lightly tap my finger on the side of the pitcher as it steams. Once the pitcher reaches body temp, you're at 100F (about 4-6s for 6 oz milk), once the pitcher is hot enough that 1s of contact hurts, you're at 150F, so stop! I've gotten very good at hitting these numbers based on time and feel alone.

If I had it to do over again, this is probably what I'd plunk down for:

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/EC...-Commercial-Espresso-Machine-115V-89p6643.htm

For some reason I'm not finding the ECM online that has double boilers. The ones selling for $2400 are the heat exchanger models. The heat exchange mechanism is cool, but if you want the best temp management, you gotta have dual boilers, dual PIDs. The Izzo Alex will be the budget choice here, Profitec next, then the ECM dual if you can find it.

You have some aftermarket options to think about. One thing you need is a bottomless portafilter. This allows you to watch the coffee stream, which looks cool, but also allows you to evaluate the quality of your grind and tamp. If channeling is happening, it will be obvious because espresso will spray outside the cup. Clive coffee sells nice custom wood handle portafilters. I really wanted zebra wood, but that was out of stock, so I have wenge. You will also need a tamper. The most important thing about the tamper is that it fits the portafilter basket well. You will read that 30 lbs of force is needed to tamp a puck properly. This is demonstrably false. You only need to tamp hard enough to squeeze the air out between coffee particles and create a seal around the edges. The 500 lbs of pressure from your espresso machine will do the rest!

Another option, for the Izzo anyway, is joystick handles for the steam wand and hot water tap. Joysticks allow you to flip the steamer on/off full power instantaneously. That's much less awkward than turning a dial while steadying the pitcher with only one hand.

Oh.. and you may not have thought about cups. Check out Visions Espresso, their cups are perfect. I have the Renaissance 10 oz for lattes/big caps, and the 4 oz Revolution cups for small caps. These are about the perfect size for a double/single shot, respectively.

This whole discussion has me salivating over... a new grinder perhaps?

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Mahlkonig-K30-Vario-WBC-Single-Espresso-Grinder-p/k30variog.htm

Let me know if you want my Mazzer Mini!

Last edited:
For non-espresso "drip" coffee it seems like a french press used to be the method of choice among enthusiasts and that has now shifted toward pour over set-ups. Which is supposed to be better? Pros/cons of each?

Anybody else cold brew? It's good stuff not to mention foolproof for when I don't feel like making espresso.

Anybody else cold brew? It's good stuff not to mention foolproof for when I don't feel like making espresso.
I always do cold brew. I coarse grind 1 pound of beans, put it in a cloth bag, then soak it in a gallon of water on my counter for 24 hrs. It's important that it's brewed at room temp. After it's done I pull out the coffee bag. Add water to smooth out the flavor if I need to, and put it in the fridge.

For non-espresso "drip" coffee it seems like a french press used to be the method of choice among enthusiasts and that has now shifted toward pour over set-ups. Which is supposed to be better? Pros/cons of each?

It's a difference of style, one method may be more to your liking than another depending on the coffee. French press will contain fine particulates that will be filtered with a pour-over or a drip machine. So French press coffee is described as "murkier" or has having "more body." French press has the advantage of not being dependent on technique.

Cold brew is awesome. I haven't done it in a while, but I used to make coffee ice cubes and keep chilled simple syrup in the fridge for the purpose.

There are all kinds of fancy ways to do cold brew, but my technique was just to use a 1 L FP pot and 1 cup of coarsely ground coffee. I'd let it go about 16 hrs or so. Overnight was never quite enough.

The problem with all these great brewing methods is picking one to drink in the morning. I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine and two strong cups leaves me wired.

Great article on FP brewing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/...press-coffee-tips-technique-grind-timing.html

This was my go to technique for years. I love the rich and syrupy taste of well brewed FP. Then I got my Technivorm and rediscovered the pleasure of filter smoothness. Now FP can seem a bit harsh, but it depends on the bean. It's in my rotation, but for now espresso is where it's at.

So after about 8 hours of internet browsing over the last 4 days, my wife got in on the action. She is def. a "superautomatic + low footprint on the counter space type". I'm hoping I can slip this guy by her-:xf:
I don't know if I will or will not be disappointed in the end, but it looks like a nice compact starting point.
Either way it's a semi-automatic WITH a grinder ;)... which seems pretty cool.

Seems alright for the money... not sure if it has dual boilers (prolly not), but it looks like a good starter.

Last edited:
As for super automatics... I like the gaggia academia because you can also steam your own milk after brewing your espresso (most automatics don't allow you to do this)... or you can just press the button... Dual boilers I believe. I like the milk storage attachment and the awesome LED display. Self cleaning and low mess is a plus.

51NmQlvf4mL.jpg

You have some tough choices to make... I think you need to look inward. What usually happens after you buy into a new hobby? How long before you get upgraditis? Do you frequently suffer buyer's remorse if you don't get exactly what you want?

And how serious are you about espresso? Will you be satisfied with "it's better than Starbuckss"? Or do you think this might become a serious passion? Personally I wasn't sure, and since I was relatively poor at the time, my first machine was a superauto. It wasn't until my superauto broke down that I seriously thought about going all the way.

If you really like espresso drinks and find a learning curve appealing, I think your best bet would be an Alex III or Profitec. The ECM is a great machine, but being single boiler with a heat exchanger, not ideal. A Mazzer Mini or Baratza Vario would make a great first grinder. I have never read a post from somebody saying they made a purchase like this and regretted it.

As for the wife... mine lives for coffee. So even though she freaked when she heard what I spent on the Alex (and the Mazzer), that only lasted until the first good cap!

I have a Breville dual boiler. It packs a surprising amount of great features for its price, and is highly regarded by coffee enthusiasts. I would say you wouldn't lose anything in terms of brew quality, and it makes fantastic microform, all for a really attractive price. The downside is a lot of the parts are plastic, and the machine is not self-serviceable. In essence it is a typical consumer kitchen appliance, which most people toss and buy a new one when it breaks. This is in contrast to the E61 Duetto or similar "stainless steel monsters" that are built like a tank and would last for a decade or more.

If you are not sure about whether coffee will be a full time hobby, then the Breville dual boiler is a good place to start without compromising much in terms of brew quality.

By the way, have you picked out a grinder yet? The grinder contributes more to the coffee than the espresso machine itself. I suggest starting out at the level of Mazzer Mini, or Compak K3. They are robust, should serve you well even if you decide to upgrade to a better machine, and carry a gd resale price if you change your mind about the hobby.

I was talking with the service guy at Chris Coffee today about some vibration noise in my machine, and asked, among their double boiler machines what he would recommend from a reliability point of view for someone making a new purchase. Of the machines they sell at Chris (the don't sell ECM), the Vivaldi is the one seen in least for service. The Vetrano 2B would be next, followed by the Alex III. The Vetrano has the pump positioned above the pump motor vs the other way around for the Alex. Generally it's better design not to place something that could drip water over something electrical! Issues that come up with most machines after about 5-6 years are usually related to mineralization, so be sure to use softened water to a TDS <50, as well as a variety of worn gaskets. The Vetrano has the added bonus of cool LED lights if that's your thing (the service guy likes bling). He said much of the difference between these machines is cosmetic, but partially build quality and design. They all use commonly available commercial parts that are the same as those used on much more expensive machines.

Traveling around a bit lately, and just stumbled over this thread. Surprised we haven't started taking about grinders yet. It's definitely worth doing your research and getting a good grinder. Nothing worse than paring up several thousand dollars of coffee machines with a cheap blade grinder.

Have yet to find a K-Cup setup that I like.

My everyday is the, now somewhat ubiquitous, Technivorm. I get up first in the morning and put on a pot for my wife and I. Grinding duties are courtesy of the Baratza Vario-W. highly recommend the grinder BTW. It does not handle some of the over-roasted "dark roast" coffees well as it will get gunked up. No problem as I really dislike these over-roast styles.

For single cup, automatic drip, nothing beats a plumbed in Curtis Gold Series. I would love to host one of these at some point. I have played with one in the Doma Coffee Roasters lab in Post Falls ID. Really impressive customizability on the brew profile.

81hFVh6.jpg

For a nice "starter" semiauto espresso machine, I'm partial to the La Spazialle Vivaldi II, or the Mini Viv is pretty decent too. A little different from the classical look, but I think it is an appealing looking machine with a high wife acceptance factor. Have a look at what the Viv series offers as it is a great mix of features without breaking the bank for some of the higher end stuff.

VIVALDI-II-3.jpg

-pod

Chris Coffee has the Vivaldi II on sale for just under $2k. Looks like a good deal.

For a nice "starter" semiauto espresso machine, I'm partial to the La Spazialle Vivaldi II, or the Mini Viv is pretty decent too. A little different from the classical look, but I think it is an appealing looking machine with a high wife acceptance factor. Have a look at what the Viv series offers as it is a great mix of features without breaking the bank for some of the higher end stuff.

VIVALDI-II-3.jpg

-pod

At that price it's certainly hard to justify going with the Mini Viv unless the myriad of fixed plumbing options just won't work or you don't have the space.

Depending on your home decor and tastes, Clive Coffee has a unique version with custom wood side panels.

The Mini

la_spaziale_mini_vivaldi.jpg

And

The Regular

la_spaziale_vivaldi_ii_wood_2.jpg

-pod