Best IM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJmed1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am applying to AOA Internal Medicine residencies, hoping to score a fellowship in either Cardio, Heme/Onc or Pulmonology. My comlex 1 score was in the 590s.

Can anyone comment (in your opinion) of the best IM AOA programs in the country and why?

I am looking at a few of the Michigan programs (Botsford, Genesys, Garden City, St. Johns). Can anyone give their opinion on these programs specifically? Also Grandview in Dayton, Ohio?
I would appreciate any advice you could give.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I'll go first (assuming this is real...)

Why not try to match into an ACGME IM program at a university with more robust research opportunities to help you reach your eventual fellowship goals?

Reactions: 5 users
Strongly recommend applying ACGME as well. Leaves options open for both AOA or ACGME fellowships provided you apply for the appropriate AOA resolutions and as people have said, much greater opportunities for research at academic ACGME IM programs. In a couple years, the former won't matter as all will be ACGME, but the latter will be the case for the foreseeable future.