best laptop for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Admittedly, telling people to just "deal with it", as they've more or less done is pretty low. They should just give out free bumpers to everyone, or offer a $35 refund/rebate, to at least try to make things nice. But, in all honestly, the antenna issue is WAY overblown. Like... hugely.

Let's not make excuses. How is the issue overblown if it has been confirmed by a lot of users, Consumer Report, and multiple other sources...not to mention there's now a class action lawsuit against Apple for that.
If we are to hold one company (MSFT...cough) to a standard then we should hold Apple to the same standard. They didn't merely just tell their customers to "deal with it" but outright said it was the customers' fault.

We all have our religions/faiths but let's not worship a computer company, like some of you have been doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's not make excuses. How is the issue overblown if it has been confirmed by a lot of users, Consumer Report, and multiple other sources...not to mention there's now a class action lawsuit against Apple for that.
If we are to hold one company (MSFT...cough) to a standard then we should hold Apple to the same standard. They didn't merely just tell their customers to "deal with it" but outright said it was the customers' fault.

We all have our religions/faiths but let's not worship a computer company, like some of you have been doing.

Have you used the device? Have you actually experienced the issue in person? I have. I own the phone. I can recreate the signal drop, but in actual use, it's simply not an issue. I have not experienced a single call drop while using the phone. And yes, I hold it exclusively in my left hand. Furthermore, to be fair, they didn't explicitly say it was the customers' fault. The exact quote from King Jobs was, "Just avoid holding it in that way." Not really the, "You're holding it wrong," that the media made it out to be, but not really the kindest, most customer-friendly thing to say.

A lawsuit? Really? Say it ain't so! Good thing lawyers only do the honest, right thing and would never blow an issue out of proportions to make extra money. What kind of world would that be?

And I never said we shouldn't hold them to any standards. I agree that they should admit the issue and offer an actual solution, be that a recall or issuing free cases to owners. It's people's unrealistic expectations for a company/device that are making the issue out to be more than it is. No company is flawless, and I don't expect them to be. I plan on putting a case on the phone anyway, as I do with most phones, so it's really not an issue to me. But they should do something to make amends.

I currently worship whoever the hell it is that created Fallout 3.

Really? I just can't seem to get into it. I LOVED Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but I feel like playing Fallout 3 is a chore. I admit that I'm the one who's broken here.

There is a difference between the typical lame ass marketing and creating something that is nothing less than a slightly scary cult. By design.

Many would probably like to; they just don't seem to be as good at it. If anything hate the sheep that worship them, not the company doing what companies do. They're all lying, manipulative, greedy *******s. If they weren't they wouldn't still be in business.

I've been considering getting a tablet Notebook as well. So I am very interested in what others have to say.

I've been scouting out notebooks at the comp stores to do the whole "try before you buy". There aren't any tablets they come through the store - and the people I have been talking had mixed thoughts. Issues with the screen breaking. One guy said the drawing ability was fine - better than how you sign your name for credit card purchases - but just it's not a common type of laptop to get.

In a desperate attempt to get the thread back on topic, my only complaints with mine (after a year) have been that the L key has gotten... temperamental... (that could happen to any laptop) and the battery life isn't great (again, any laptop). You also can't get a giant screen, but I didn't want one to begin with.

Really? I just can't seem to get into it. I LOVED Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but I feel like playing Fallout 3 is a chore. I admit that I'm the one who's broken here.

I tried playing Oblivion at least 5 times before giving up. I think the furthest I got was maybe 30% into the main storyline. On the other hand Fallout 3 was an amazing experience that kept me entertained from beginning to end. I skipped all the DLC stuff though. Fallout Vegas will own my soul and my grades this fall.

Anyways Mass Effect 1 and 2 are the most epic RPGs ever made. TRUE STORY

Fun side effect, since I've gotten my MacBook Pro, everyone assumes I know nothing about computers. It's both annoying and awesome. Annoying in that no one listens to me. Awesome in that no one ever asks me for help; it's always, "Oh, nevermind, you have a Mac."

And I rather like my iPhone 4, but I sure as hell didn't stand in any line for it. I walked into a Best Buy a week later and got one. It's just a phone.
YES.

The video down there says it all.

I've used them all, and I use the one I like. I know which one I now refuse to use, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've seen rabid Windows fans, and don't get me started on the Linux crew. Each camp has dedicated loons, trying to rationalize why their choice is the best, and why you must agree. I couldn't give a **** what someone else thinks. Whatever works for me.

Have you used the device? Have you actually experienced the issue in person? I have. I own the phone. I can recreate the signal drop, but in actual use, it's simply not an issue. I have not experienced a single call drop while using the phone. And yes, I hold it exclusively in my left hand. Furthermore, to be fair, they didn't explicitly say it was the customers' fault. The exact quote from King Jobs was, "Just avoid holding it in that way." Not really the, "You're holding it wrong," that the media made it out to be, but not really the kindest, most customer-friendly thing to say.

A lawsuit? Really? Say it ain't so! Good thing lawyers only do the honest, right thing and would never blow an issue out of proportions to make extra money. What kind of world would that be?

And I never said we shouldn't hold them to any standards. I agree that they should admit the issue and offer an actual solution, be that a recall or issuing free cases to owners. It's people's unrealistic expectations for a company/device that are making the issue out to be more than it is. No company is flawless, and I don't expect them to be. I plan on putting a case on the phone anyway, as I do with most phones, so it's really not an issue to me. But they should do something to make amends.

So with your logic, as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying. The fact that you have a good "personal experience" with your phone doesn't discredit other people's fair criticisms. Many Apple supporters use "personal experience" to defend Apple instead of providing anything with substance. Let me sum up your whole argument:

Consumer Reports, a lot of other users, tech websites, even Apple: there's an issue

Your argument: Hey it works for me; everyone else is lying because the universe revolves around me.

For the record, I was the first person to support Apple with the original iPhone and the 3G model...but each new iPhone launch became less and less exciting for me.

So with your logic, as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying. The fact that you have a good "personal experience" with your phone doesn't discredit other people's fair criticisms. Many Apple supporters use "personal experience" to defend Apple instead of providing anything with substance. Let me sum up your whole argument:

Consumer Reports, a lot of other users, tech websites, even Apple: there's an issue

Your argument: Hey it works for me; it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because everyone has their own opinion anyway.

For the record, I was the first person to support Apple with the original iPhone and the 3G model...but each new iPhone launch became less and less exciting for me.

Fixed. Or at least that's what I got from it.

Your argument: Hey it works for me; everyone else is lying because the universe revolves around me.

No, my argument is that Consumer Reports, after initially recommending the phone had to go back and do artificial, unrealistic tests in a controlled environment. They then retracted their initial recommendation. During their initial review of the device, the issue obviously didn't impact their usage in any manner that would have affected their review. My argument is that, yes, there is an issue, but for the overwhelming majority of people it isn't a practical issue in actual real-world usage. Just because an issue can be produced in a tightly-controlled, rigidly-structured testing environment, that doesn't mean it's a real-world issue. That's what I mean when I say it's "WAY overblown". Apple should still admit it and do something to fix it and regain confidence.

Edit: Apparently they didn't actually issue a recommendation or a later retraction. They don't do that until after full testing is complete. Their preliminary reports, however, did say that they were unable to replicate the signal issues. Only when they put it in a radio-proof testing lab under tightly-controlled conditions could they replicate it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No, my argument is that Consumer Reports, after initially recommending the phone had to go back and do artificial, unrealistic tests in a controlled environment. They then retracted their initial recommendation. During their initial review of the device, the issue obviously didn't impact their usage in any manner that would have affected their review. My argument is that, yes, there is an issue, but for the overwhelming majority of people it isn't a practical issue in actual real-world usage. Just because an issue can be produced in a tightly-controlled, rigidly-structured testing environment, that doesn't mean it's a real-world issue. That's what I mean when I say it's "WAY overblown". Apple should still admit it and do something to fix it and regain confidence.

Edit: Apparently they didn't actually issue a recommendation or a later retraction. They don't do that until after full testing is complete. Their preliminary reports, however, did say that they were unable to replicate the signal issues. Only when they put it in a radio-proof testing lab under tightly-controlled conditions could they replicate it.

Please tell me you're kidding. Did you take your Kool-Aid pills? This is a problem. It's a real world problem and may people are complaining about it. The test consumer reports does is scientific and real world. They also test other phones in the same controlled conditions and the problem exists with multiple Iphone 4's it does not exist with the Palm Pre or earlier versions of the Iphone. Their work around is exactly the same as Apple's (buy a band). This is a disgrace. Apple is so arrogant that they feel they can put out crap and and call it I-**** and people will think it smells great. Apple needs to man up and fix the problem. They also need to send FREE bands to every person who purchased and Iphone 4 and stop making up fake reasons and baling the user for holding the friggin phone wrong.

Please tell me you're kidding. Did you take your Kool-Aid pills? This is a problem. It's a real world problem and may people are complaining about it. The test consumer reports does is scientific and real world. They also test other phones in the same controlled conditions and the problem exists with multiple Iphone 4's it does not exist with the Palm Pre or earlier versions of the Iphone. Their work around is exactly the same as Apple's (buy a band). This is a disgrace. Apple is so arrogant that they feel they can put out crap and and call it I-**** and people will think it smells great. Apple needs to man up and fix the problem. They also need to send FREE bands to every person who purchased and Iphone 4 and stop making up fake reasons and baling the user for holding the friggin phone wrong.

That must be why they also named it the highest rating of any smartphone on the market, right?
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/...-4-is-also-the-best-smartphone-on-the-market/

And apparently Consumer Reports testing isn't as scientific as they'd like us to believe.
http://mobileanalyst.wordpress.com/...eport-consumer-reports-study-is-full-of-crap/

And, "does not exist with the Palm Pre or earlier versions of the Iphone"? Really? Anandtech would beg to differ with you.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2
Screen shot 2010-07-13 at 7.40.25 PM.png

If you'll notice I said before that the issue does exist and that Apple should admit it and do something about it, the obvious thing being to issue free bumpers or a $35 rebate/refund so that people who want a bumper or other case can buy one. My whole point is that the issue has been blown way out of proportion to what is actually happening in the real world.

Wow, you've actually taken a giant leap over arrogance and into ego-centric land. You actually think you have more credibility than Consumer Reports or the other tech websites, or even Apple.
Please step off your pedestal because it is not only insulting to me but to everyone else that you think your opinion matters in disputing actual facts that have been confirmed by many sources (even Apple). The fact is that there is an issue, whether it is a real-world issue or not is not up for you to decide. You cannot "extrapolate" your personal experiences to speak for everyone else and come to a generalized conclusion that the majority of iPhone users don't experience it. Please stop this silly conversation because you have nothing substantial to contribute, and because I don't want to keep going back and forth with someone who is mindlessly defending a company at fault.

Wow, you've actually taken a giant leap over arrogance and into ego-centric land. You actually think you have more credibility than Consumer Reports or the other tech websites, or even Apple.
Please step off your pedestal because it is not only insulting to me but to everyone else that you think your opinion matters in disputing actual facts that have been confirmed by many sources (even Apple). The fact is that there is an issue, whether it is a real-world issue or not is not up for you to decide. You cannot "extrapolate" your personal experiences to speak for everyone else and come to a generalized conclusion that the majority of iPhone users don't experience it. Please stop this silly conversation because you have nothing substantial to contribute, and because I don't want to keep going back and forth with someone who is mindlessly defending a company at fault.

Your reading comprehension skills are a giant ball of fail. I seem to remember saying, "I agree that they should admit the issue and offer an actual solution, be that a recall or issuing free cases to owners." Yes, bridging the gap between the two antennae attenuates the signal, either by detuning the antenna itself or by detuning the receiver. Apple needs to actually admit this and stop pretending that it's purely a software issue. Apple needs to do something about it. I have said all of that several times. But in actual usage it's not really an issue. Just because an issue exists and can be recreated does not mean that it's a practical issue that affects most people in day-to-day usage. You've learned this by now, right? I mean, right? Let me guess, you don't eat charbroiled or grilled meats because they contain carcinogens, either. Simply grazing the antenna doesn't suddenly drop your call. You have to sustain contact for several seconds at least. If the issue were really as catastrophic as the media are making it out to be, people would be returning the device in droves. As far as I can tell, they haven't been. But, if the issue affects them that much, they should do absolutely that.

Edit for further clarification: The antenna/reception issue is way overblown; I haven't read anything which indicates that it affects people as strongly as some would like us all to believe. People make it sound like the device is wholly unusable, when that is very far from the truth. What's NOT overblown is Apple's response. They absolutely need to admit the problem and immediately do something to make it right with the consumers. Whatever that something is, it shouldn't cost the consumers a single cent. In designing future handsets they absolutely need to find a way to test them more thoroughly without cases on them, as it seems that the field test units were all disguised by cases which, as we've seen, handily takes care of the issue.

Last edited:
But in actual usage it's not really an issue.

How are you able to make this claim?

Just because an issue exists and can be recreated does not mean that it's a practical issue that affects most people in day-to-day usage.[/QUOTE]

Again, how? These are all your opinions.

You've learned this by now, right? I mean, right? Let me guess, you don't eat charbroiled or grilled meats because they contain carcinogens, either. Simply grazing the antenna doesn't suddenly drop your call.[/QUOTE]

Where is your credibility? Again, how are you able to make these claims? I am really shocked.

Fixed

But in actual usage it's not really an issue.

Just because an issue exists and can be recreated does not mean that it's a practical issue that affects most people in day-to-day usage.

You've learned this by now, right? I mean, right? Let me guess, you don't eat charbroiled or grilled meats because they contain carcinogens, either. Simply grazing the antenna doesn't suddenly drop your call.
Where is your credibility? Again, how are you able to make these claims? I am really shocked. Oh that reminds me, your iPhone experience speaks for every iPhone owner out there; you told me this but I forgot. Sorry.

Just because an issue exists and can be recreated does not mean that it's a practical issue that affects most people in day-to-day usage.

You've learned this by now, right? I mean, right? Let me guess, you don't eat charbroiled or grilled meats because they contain carcinogens, either. Simply grazing the antenna doesn't suddenly drop your call.

Where is your credibility? Again, how are you able to make these claims? I am really shocked.

Okay. I know, directly, at least four people who have owned the phone since launch day. None of them is using a case. They have all been able to recreate the issue. It hasn't affected any of them in day-to-day usage. Seems like it doesn't affect people in day-to-day usage to me. And my sample size is one larger than CR's. But, as we say, "the plural of anecdote is not data". I'm making an inference based on the fact that there aren't, as far as anyone has said, thousands of people rushing to return the phone for a refund. Again, just because Consumer Reports says they can recreate the issue in lab doesn't mean the phone is useless and unable to make calls, which is how everyone is acting. Don't you think they'd have noticed that in their initial testing? Don't you think the numerous tech blogs would have commented on that in their reviews? Don't you think that would have affected their recommendations?

All I've been saying is that the severity of the antenna issue seems to be blown out of proportion based on my own experience and those of everyone I know and have spoken to in addition to nearly everything I've read with a few exceptions, Consumer Reports being one of them.

And, for the record, I'm not defending Apple; I've said countless times that they need to stop being anti-consumer and do something about it yesterday. I'm only kind-of defending the device. I'm more trying to put things into perspective. People act like the device is a catastrophic failure and is wholly unusable. That really doesn't seem to be the case.

Okay. I know, directly, at least four people who have owned the phone since launch day. None of them is using a case. They have all been able to recreate the issue. It hasn't affected any of them in day-to-day usage. Seems like it doesn't affect people in day-to-day usage to me. And my sample size is one larger than CR's. But, as we say, "the plural of anecdote is not data". I'm making an inference based on the fact that there aren't, as far as anyone has said, thousands of people rushing to return the phone for a refund. Again, just because Consumer Reports says they can recreate the issue in lab doesn't mean the phone is useless and unable to make calls, which is how everyone is acting. Don't you think they'd have noticed that in their initial testing? Don't you think the numerous tech blogs would have commented on that in their reviews? Don't you think that would have affected their recommendations?

Again, you neither have the knowledge nor the credibility to make these claims, so please stop. I could have easily said I know 10 iPhone4 owners who have problems with their phones (see? that was easy). Please don't make me laugh or insult me by claiming assumptions, and then backing up your assumptions with more assumptions and random things you pull out of the air.

And, for the record, I'm not defending Apple; I've said countless times that they need to stop being anti-consumer and do something about it yesterday.

You should've stopped there. Black is black and white is white. The company released a defective product and expected their customers to fork over the money to fix it. The fact is there is an issue and there are people experiencing the issue, there's no "if's" "and's" or "but's" about it. Please no more excuses.

The only reason Apple is able to get away with these kinds of stuff is because they have a loyal customer base that is ready to make excuses for them. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but please don't spew out ignorance and expect everyone to gobble it up.

Again, you neither have the knowledge nor the credibility to make these claims, so please stop. I could have easily said I know 10 iPhone4 owners who have problems with their phones (see? that was easy). Please don't make me laugh or insult me by claiming assumptions, and then backing up your assumptions with more assumptions and random things you pull out of the air.

You should've stopped there. Black is black and white is white. The company released a defective product and expected their customers to fork over the money to fix it. The fact is there is an issue and there are people experiencing the issue, there's no "if's" "and's" or "but's" about it. Please no more excuses.

The only reason Apple is able to get away with these kinds of stuff is because they have a loyal customer base that is ready to make excuses for them. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but please don't spew out ignorance and expect everyone to gobble it up.

And you, similarly, aren't in a position to say that everyone is affected by the issue, though it is true that every device is affected if it is, as seems to be the case, a design flaw. But that doesn't mean that every person is practically affected by the issue in real-world usage. As there aren't thousands of people rushing to return the phone, that doesn't seem to be the case. Your problem is that you're buying into the idea that it's a hopelessly broken device that doesn't even perform its most-basic function. That's not true. Even Consumer Reports says it's not true, ranking it "Very Good" in phoning and messaging. This is all I mean when I say that the issue is blown out of proportion, nothing more. The severity of the defect doesn't seem, by ANY account, to be as bad as people are making it out to be or being lead to believe it is. But the simple fact that it exists means that Apple should do something about it, and do it for free, and stop playing games with people. They are absolutely handling it horribly.

I edit HD video as a hobby. I mostly rip college football and basketball games at insanely high quality. Try editing 4 hours of raw mpeg2 1080i video at like 17000kbps and then compressing it to 5000kbps h.264 HDAVC video and see how great your Mac is. Hence, I've got a top of the line i7 quad core. Upgraded recently from an older q6600 quad core I bought a few years ago. Going to completely upgrade all the guts over when the six-core gets cheaper and/or this job prospect I got works out. I guess my computer doesn't "last" 5 years...mostly because I actually enjoy the upgrades. I'd love to see someone try to do what I do with a 2 year old Mac, let alone this mythical 5 year old Mac that can "do everything" like the Mac cultists swear they own.

I mean, the old eMachines I used to own back in 2006 does still works fine. It's just useless to me for my applications. I gave it to my sister and she uses it to surf the internet. The only thing she calls me about is whenever she can't figure out how to plug the keyboard back in or whatever.

Mac people make **** up. I swear to God they do. That or I am the greatest computer user in the history of the planet. Somehow able to avoid all of these alleged problems with Windows.

touche. I was joking with you. I hit a button I suppose.

this is the misguided thinking of the average mac-user. those who think this way tend to not be very knowledgeable about computers:

"macs never get viruses and they never crash because steve jobs is god reincarnated. windows is crappy and your computer will blow up if you use it and will fall apart and kill your baby."

macs are nicely built computers but with sub-par specs and an OS that is more limited in the programs and games it can run than windows, though that is slowly changing. i mean you can run bootcamp, but that's extra money to buy Windows and a hassle to boot/reboot. if your needs are simple, you don't care about specs (because they suck on macs unless you are willing to shell out 324342342 dollars), want a pretty, well built computer with good battery life and have a lot of money to throw around, then a macbook laptop is a good computer for you.

however if you want a laptop primarily for gaming, or running more intensive programs, and care about specs and price, get any of the windows running pcs out there.

windows 7 is a good OS from what i've heard, and if you aren't stupid, you won't get viruses.

I have had windows computers for my entire life. I have had a windows computer since Windows 3.1. I even had a computer that runs windows 7 now. Personally I feel I know enough about computers to make my judgment thank you very much. So I appreciate your concern about how much I know. I don't use my computers for gaming or running other crazy ****, because I have a Wii, a Xbox and a life. I have used my mac for watching tv and when the cable went out during a big game, we all sat around my mac as opposed to the other 6 windows computers that we have, and we tried using other computers.

Why do all the Apple fanboys talk like this? Stop being so angry...it's all kool dude. It's just a computer...99% of the people don't care for shiny logos...they just need to get their work done...
I don't see why anyone would limit themselves by getting a Mac for school...that's just doing an injustice to yourself...not all the programs will work (if u end up doing research-based work in school), no tech support from your institution, and limited upgrades.

Once you're out of school and you need a shiny laptop to show every at starbucks how successful you are and that you can blow away money on a Mac, then it's fine.

I didn't seem like i was loosing my "kool." In fact I was joking around. But to humor you lets go through your claims:
Work... I have Microsoft Office 2008. The only thing I don't have is microsoft access but as others have mentioned, I can run windows on my mac if need be. BTW I am running a prospective randomized clinical trial using this badboy.
Tech support... yawn. Don't need it. but if I want it theres one at the university I attend. Maybe your school isn't cool enough to have an IT department or computer repairs. Besides the fact that you can go to the mac store, just like you windows people can send your computers away.
Limited upgrades... Software gets updated weekly and our last OS rolled out at the same time windows 7 did. Versions of office for macs usually follow a year after yours. The difference is my upgraded OS costed $30 last time.

Sorry you struck out.

I Hate
500px-apple_computer_logosvg.png

Then there was the article in the Washington Post about that quotes Consumer Reports and says Apple is a lying sack of sh** and the Iphone 4 is defective and they can't recommend it.... Go Apple....
Lab tests: Why Consumer Reports can't recommend the iPhone 4

They do have a great solution:

ducttape.jpg

Who says that duct tape can't fix everything?

Last edited:
And you, similarly, aren't in a position to say that everyone is affected by the issue, though it is true that every device is affected if it is, as seems to be the case, a design flaw.

I don't think I ever made that claim...you should reread the posts again. I was merely throwing out what the other tech sites have found and what Apple has said...and in defense of Apple, you've made some wild assumptions based on your "personal" experiences. Please stop.

I didn't seem like i was loosing my "kool." In fact I was joking around. But to humor you lets go through your claims:
Work... I have Microsoft Office 2008. The only thing I don't have is microsoft access but as others have mentioned, I can run windows on my mac if need be. BTW I am running a prospective randomized clinical trial using this badboy.
Tech support... yawn. Don't need it. but if I want it theres one at the university I attend. Maybe your school isn't cool enough to have an IT department or computer repairs. Besides the fact that you can go to the mac store, just like you windows people can send your computers away.
Limited upgrades... Software gets updated weekly and our last OS rolled out at the same time windows 7 did. Versions of office for macs usually follow a year after yours. The difference is my upgraded OS costed $30 last time.

Sorry you struck out.

No, it sounded very defensive as is the jibberish you've written above.
1. 30$ for OSX...you do get what you pay for...it's an inferior OS...besides students can get windows 7 for 30$ as well...
2. Tech support...you don't mean the GENIUS BAR do you? LOL...please stop...i think you'd just insulted yourself.
3. Upgrades...it also means hardware upgrades...but I don't think you would know anything about that...so sorry i mentioned it.
4. WOW your school has an IT department for MACS? You must be the koolest kid ever...Judging from the way you describe it, you must think that EVERY SCHOOL has one! WOW...amazing. My school has a some MACs in the computer lab that no one uses...i guessing that's why they don't provide any support.

1. 30$ for OSX...you do get what you pay for...it's an inferior OS...besides students can get windows 7 for 30$ as well...
2. Tech support...you don't mean the GENIUS BAR do you? LOL...please stop...i think you'd just insulted yourself.
3. Upgrades...it also means hardware upgrades...but I don't think you would know anything about that...so sorry i mentioned it.
4. WOW your school has an IT department for MACS? You must be the koolest kid ever...Judging from the way you describe it, you must think that EVERY SCHOOL has one! WOW...amazing. My school has a some MACs in the computer lab that no one uses...i guessing that's why they don't provide any support.

You know what I think is funny, you are the one getting defensive. You can think it is me who is defensive if it helps you sleep at night. I made my recommendations and I could give two ****s whether you agree with them or not. What started out as playful teasing turned out to be a pissing match. Its like the Gym Class All Stars that tried their hardest everyday.

You are still misguided, but if they will let Sparda be a pharmacist, you can have your opinions too. I am not going to argue with someone who won't listen. By the way, before you call my post jibberish, please proofread your posts. Nothing's worse then being a hypocrite. Thanks!:thumbup:

I don't think I ever made that claim...you should reread the posts again. I was merely throwing out what the other tech sites have found and what Apple has said...and in defense of Apple, you've made some wild assumptions based on your "personal" experiences. Please stop.

You're cute when you try to talk like a big kid. "So with your logic, as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying." You're either strongly implying that "everyone" is claiming to have a problem, or you don't actually know what the words you're typing mean. All that I've seen from any tech blogs is that bridging the gap between the two antennae can attenuate the signal. That's a fact; no one has tried to dispute that. None of the blogs, at least the ones that I have seen, have gone on to say that this has realistically and practically affected their use of the phone. Returns for the phone have been, according the latest news I've read, rather low, even though Apple has offered a full refund within 30 days of purchase. If the phone is an unusable brick, as you seem to be under the impression, why aren't people returning it in droves? Could it be that it doesn't affect most people in day-to-use? The mainstream media reports give the impression that the phone is useless and utterly incapable of making calls. That is blowing the issue out of proportion. That's all I've claimed from the beginning. Is that really that hard for you to grasp?

Oh, wait. It makes sense now. You actually don't have any idea what you're talking about.

1. It's hard to make an objective statement that one OS is superior or inferior to another. It's a matter of preference, really. I happen to prefer OS X for my laptop and Windows 7 for my desktop. They both have their uses, but I'd never say that one is better than the other. That's an indefensible position to take.
2. Err... can you read? He said that he didn't need tech support. The most straightforward interpretation of that is that, you know, he's capable of fixing his own computer. Weird concept. On top of that, there is tech support at the Apple Store, but I've never used it and don't see myself doing so. You're not implying that Microsoft is capable of fixing your computer telekinetically over the phone are you?
3. You've never actually owned or used a Mac have you? Like... really? My MacBook Pro is as upgradeable as any laptop. Furthermore, the Mac Pros are quite upgradeable as well, though not as much as a custom-built desktop. I've never played with the iMacs, but they don't seem all that upgradable, to be fair.
4. Err... do you go to school in a shack? Every university I've ever been to has an IT department that services computers, Windows and Macs both. Like, seriously, are you from another planet?

You know what I think is funny, you are the one getting defensive. You can think it is me who is defensive if it helps you sleep at night. I made my recommendations and I could give two ****s whether you agree with them or not. What started out as playful teasing turned out to be a pissing match. Its like the Gym Class All Stars that tried their hardest everyday.

You are still misguided, but if they will let Sparda be a pharmacist, you can have your opinions too. I am not going to argue with someone who won't listen. By the way, before you call my post jibberish, please proofread your posts. Nothing's worse then being a hypocrite. Thanks!:thumbup:

1. Actually, your first few posts were angry with a defensive tone to something that another poster had said...but that is between you and him...none of my business.
2. You responded to my initial post...that showed that you do care...so please don't act like you don't...it's quite embarrassing and also hypocritical. You actually took the time to quote each different posted and responded to each one...I'm sure you didn't care that much? (lol...please)
3. Sorry...it's an online forum...not a research paper...there are bound to be typos...I don't lose sleep over misplaced punctuations or words here and there.

You're cute when you try to talk like a big kid. "So with your logic, as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying." You're either strongly implying that "everyone" is claiming to have a problem, or you don't actually know what the words you're typing mean.

How am I implying that everyone is claiming to have a problem by saying that? You're really stretching your imagination...please support your argument with more obscurity and wild assumptions; please don't provide any substance or facts...

How am I implying that everyone is claiming to have a problem by saying that? You're really stretching your imagination...please support your argument with more obscurity and wild assumptions; please don't provide any substance or facts...

You really are ****ing ******ed. Jesus Christ on ice skates. Okay, let me spell it out for you. You say, "as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying". In order for me to be accused of saying that "everyone else must be lying," everyone else must be saying something which I am contradicting. I am saying that the issue doesn't appear to be as severe as the media, and certain unnamed posters, are making it out to be. For this claim to be construed as accusing "everyone" of lying, everyone must be claiming that the phone is a horrible mess and utterly useless.

Do you see? Do you?

You really are ****ing ******ed. Jesus Christ on ice skates. Okay, let me spell it out for you. You say, "as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying". In order for me to be accused of saying that "everyone else must be lying," everyone else must be saying something which I am contradicting. I am saying that the issue doesn't appear to be as severe as the media, and certain unnamed posters, are making it out to be. For this claim to be construed as accusing "everyone" of lying, everyone must be claiming that the phone is a horrible mess and utterly useless.

Do you see? Do you?

"So with YOUR LOGIC, as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying."
Actually, no. I think you need to revisit "reading comprehension" again before talking to me. It says "WITH YOUR LOGIC" not "MINE." I was merely putting into perspective the logic/reasoning that you are using to base your argument on so that you could see how it's irrational. Please REREAD the quote again, COMPREHEND IT, then open your mouth.

[/quote] You really are ****ing ******ed. Jesus Christ on ice skates.[/quote]
This is something a 12 year old would say after losing an argument. Let's end the conversation here, because apparently you can't handle a regular debate. I don't get personal with my comments, and I would appreciate that you wouldn' either.

"So with YOUR LOGIC, as long as you're not having a problem then everyone else must be lying."
Actually, no. I think you need to revisit "reading comprehension" again before talking to me. It says "WITH YOUR LOGIC" not "MINE." I was merely putting into perspective the logic/reasoning that you are using to base your argument on so that you could see how it's irrational. Please REREAD the quote again, COMPREHEND IT, then open your mouth.

Except, I'm not saying that anyone's lying. That's not the logic I'm using at all, in fact. I'm saying that most people who have and are actually using the phone AREN'T saying that it's a big issue. People speak with their wallets. If it were as big an issue as some media sites are making it out to be, people would be returning it in droves. Especially since Apple has "graciously" waived their usual restocking fee. You're the one who wants me to be saying that everyone's lying. You're the one who wants me to be saying that I know better than everyone else. That's not what I've said at all. I've only ever said that the severity of the actual issue, which I have stated countless times exists, is being overstated in the media. There is no indication, whatsoever, that it's having anywhere NEAR as severe an effect on most people's usage of the phone as you seem to think it is. If it is, show me. Please. Show me some evidence, some proof, some something, that this design flaw is half as severe (notice I said "severe" not "pervasive") as some sites would have us believe. If it's so bad that the phone is unusable, why is it consistently getting solid reviews? If it's so horrible, why do most reviews say that the reception is dramatically improved over previous models? Why do so many reviews say that it holds on to data and voice calls at the lower limit of reception better than many, many other phones that they've used? If the phone is so flawed as to be an abject failure, why isn't everyone saying so?

For the umpteenth time: the phone has a design flaw which results in attenuation of the signal under certain circumstances. This is, essentially without a doubt, a direct result of the physical design of the phone and poor testing on Apple's part. There doesn't seem to be any evidence, however, that it is affecting the practical usage of the phone for most people. Apple has handled the situation horribly and shown great disrespect towards their customers and should immediately do something to fix it. They've apparently scheduled a press conference for the 16th to address the issue; I don't expect much.

You want me to be taking a hard-lined "Apple can do no wrong, the phone is perfect" stance, but I'm not. I'm really not. I'm trying to play to middle here and say that the phone has a flaw; there's no indication that it's as bad as some websites and commenters are leading some people to believe; and Apple's handling of the situation has been inexcusable. Do you seriously not get this?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/yes-the-iphone-4-is-broken-no-the-iphone-4-is-not-broken/

Last edited:
I'm in the process of looking for a laptop as well. So far the best deal I've found is with HP laptops. I found this coupon code that will take off 400 bucks when you customize a computer that's 1299 or more. So you can pretty much get a $1299 computer for about 900 bucks. I just can't seem to pull the trigger. Coupon code is NBG351962 for anybody interested. I don't know when it expires.

You need to get a mac and don't bother with anything else.

not angry nor defensive

all the windows based computers I have come across were junk. Everyone I know despises their computers and will be purchasing macs. You pay for it but at least it lasts more then 3 years.

oh, and I do look like a hipster.

not angry nor defensive

either that or you don't use your computer for anything except SDN. :)

A smiley face, not angry or defensive. If you consider any of these to be angry or defensive then you must not take well to people disagreeing with you.:)

1. Actually, your first few posts were angry with a defensive tone to something that another poster had said...but that is between you and him...none of my business.
2. You responded to my initial post...that showed that you do care...so please don't act like you don't...it's quite embarrassing and also hypocritical. You actually took the time to quote each different posted and responded to each one...I'm sure you didn't care that much? (lol...please)
3. Sorry...it's an online forum...not a research paper...there are bound to be typos...I don't lose sleep over misplaced punctuations or words here and there.

You know what, you are a lot of fun.

You are right, I did care what you think at first. Like I said I responded to your allegations and I don't agree with them. after I realized I am arguing with someone dead set in their ways, whats the point in arguing? I made my point why I thought you were wrong, if you are so set on your ways why would I continue. Thus I don't care.

Go for the MacBook. It works great, it'll never fail you. Most of the professors at my school use a Mac.

after doing research, i decided to purchase an inexpensive netbook for 215 dollars. It's lightweight, portable, and powerful enough to use it for the classroom. I would not recommend the mac unless you have a lot of money you want to invest in something shiny and unnecessary. I recommend purchasing an affordable laptop that fits your need.

Go for the MacBook. It works great, it'll never fail you. Most of the professors at my school use a Mac.

Not really true. The apparent build quality is better, but the inside bits are the same as any Windows PC. If they can fail, so can the Macs.

Oh, wait. It makes sense now. You actually don't have any idea what you're talking about.

1. It's hard to make an objective statement that one OS is superior or inferior to another. It's a matter of preference, really. I happen to prefer OS X for my laptop and Windows 7 for my desktop. They both have their uses, but I'd never say that one is better than the other. That's an indefensible position to take.
2. Err... can you read? He said that he didn't need tech support. The most straightforward interpretation of that is that, you know, he's capable of fixing his own computer. Weird concept. On top of that, there is tech support at the Apple Store, but I've never used it and don't see myself doing so. You're not implying that Microsoft is capable of fixing your computer telekinetically over the phone are you?
3. You've never actually owned or used a Mac have you? Like... really? My MacBook Pro is as upgradeable as any laptop. Furthermore, the Mac Pros are quite upgradeable as well, though not as much as a custom-built desktop. I've never played with the iMacs, but they don't seem all that upgradable, to be fair.
4. Err... do you go to school in a shack? Every university I've ever been to has an IT department that services computers, Windows and Macs both. Like, seriously, are you from another planet?

Just adding on to your comments...

1. It is just people's preference as to whether they like Windows or OSX. Nowadays, compatibility is more common place for both platforms anyway unless you are a gamer...probably should not be on SDN to begin with anyway. :)

2. A definite plus is that Macs can be serviced at your local Apple retailer no questions asked. Compare this to Windows where you have to deal with the manufacturer or extended warranties. (painful to say the least)

3. Since Mac has gone Intel many years ago, it is just as customizable as any Windows platform. Windows is easier of course but it comes with the territory. People buy Macs just for reliable, daily use. Windows is usually barebones and people customize them to fit their tastes. Quality or lack of comes from the manufacturer and not the OS itself. (viruses are a completely different story but that is besides the point here)

4. I do not know about other schools but my school is definitely more pro-Mac here. Students and professors alike prefer Macs over Windows and our IT department services both equally well. It wouldn't be too far off if I said having a Mac here is the norm.

What is the best laptop for pharmacy school?

I was thinking about getting a thinkpad x201 for battery life or maybe hp envy 14.. What are you people using ??

Get the most durable and cheapest laptop you can buy with the BIGGEST battery you can find. You want a laptop that lasts 3 to 4 years that will SURVIVE everyday use (drops, spills, wear and tear). Hinges, keyboards, screens, can break, so you need to be aware of that.

Buy a computer your IT department or (computer savvy classmates) will support. That probably means no APPLE. You do not want to rely on the manufacture as your only sole source of IT support.

I was issued a DELL when I went to school. Yes its a Piece of poo, but it did last. By the time I graduated, it looked as if it had gone through a warzone, had the battery replaced twice, and it had been though a flooded apartment and fell down a flight of stairs...awesome huh.

I'd get the thinkpad for everyday school use, buy the apple for your personal use later on.

I love these sorts of questions. I used to work in the computer department of Circuit City for a couple years before they shut down. just for cred, I now computers as I have a passion for them and have been toying them tech since I was 12.

back to the question at hand. What is your computer experience? Do you prefer a Mac or a Windows computer? I always suggest a windows pc to those without a preference as Windows 7 is a very advanced and secure operating system. Pay not attention to those Mac vs PC commercials where they state that Windows machines are full of viruses. They are heavily targeted because those that work with computers and know how to use them use Windows operating system --> Windows runs the world. Mac's now have viruses and spyware that target them and these have been around for some time now. Unfortunately, Apple refuses to acknowledge many of these security flaws and has even instructed its genius bar employees to now acknowledge the existence of malware even if they find it on the machines that have issues because of this. You can look this up. From personal experience, Windows 7 is extremely secure and you will not have any issues with spyware or viruses as long as you have some sort of decent security software. Trust me when I say that security is NOT an issue with a Windows machine these days. I actually had two friends that switched from Macs to windows machines (thinkpads) while in school as the performance and compatibility was better with the online software that we use.

But don't think I am a Mac hater. I actually planned on buying a Macbook Pro a bit ago but it was just too darn expensive. The fact is a similarly equipped macboook will cost you $1000 more than a windows machine. I am the type to do a lot of research before making a big purchase. I considered several of the top brands but, in the end, I chose Lenovo. I don't regret the purchase at all.

I chose a T420 as it is thin, lightweight and is available with an extended battery that not only lasts really long but is cheap to replace. Top quality build with the internal roll cage. Thinkpads are designed to be spill and drop resistant so it makes it perfect for pharmacy school as your notebook becomes your best friend during this time. I highly recommend the model. I have seen others suggest the X- series line but I don't recommend it as the screens are smaller and viewing powerpoint is a pain in the ass with a screen smaller than 13 inches, regardless of the resolution.

If you are interested, I always know of coupon codes that take like 500 bucks off. It's how I got mine.

However you cannot beat the battery life of the X220. I personally have the W510 because at the time it was the only system offered with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. 6 weeks later most of their offerings had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Bottom line, I don't have a daily need for a optical drive which is mostly what I would be giving up. For daily use, even an 11.5" screen is not too bad to look at. I can always plug in a monitor afterwards. If I was looking to buy again, I would get the X220. Fantastic battery life and a fully functioning computer (not a netbook).

I chose Lenovo because their systems are solid. I expect to be using this W510 ThinkPad for a long time.

However you cannot beat the battery life of the X220. I personally have the W510 because at the time it was the only system offered with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. 6 weeks later most of their offerings had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Bottom line, I don't have a daily need for a optical drive which is mostly what I would be giving up. For daily use, even an 11.5" screen is not too bad to look at. I can always plug in a monitor afterwards. If I was looking to buy again, I would get the X220. Fantastic battery life and a fully functioning computer (not a netbook).

I chose Lenovo because their systems are solid. I expect to be using this W510 ThinkPad for a long time.

Since you mentioned optical drive, I don't think I ever used my dvd/cd player at all in my school laptop. Everything is flash/jump drive/internet transferable in pharmacy school, and yet is use to be considered an intergral piece of hardware.

I forgot to mention, don't buy a big screen notebook either. Your laptop bag starts to feel like a ton of bricks when you have to carry that sucker everywhere and whatever study materials you also have to bring with you.

Buy a computer your IT department or (computer savvy classmates) will support. That probably means no APPLE. You do not want to rely on the manufacture as your only sole source of IT support.
But what tech support do you need besides maybe Wifi access? All we ever use our laptops for is Microsoft Office for notes and Blackboard for quizzes. I feel bad for the suckers who bought the school-recommended Dell.

I was issued a DELL when I went to school. Yes its a Piece of poo, but it did last. By the time I graduated, it looked as if it had gone through a warzone, had the battery replaced twice, and it had been though a flooded apartment and fell down a flight of stairs...awesome huh.
The school's recommended Dell model is a pretty crappy computer for the money. I think I got my Macbook Pro for $200 (at least) cheaper, and I haven't had any issues in the last two years. My classmates have had numerous problems with their Dells, including arbitrary shutdowns, monitor issues (vertical lines = big problem), and short battery lives.

I'd get the thinkpad for everyday school use, buy the apple for your personal use later on.

Looking back, I think I'd still get my Apple, but I would give serious consideration to the thinkpad. The ability to quickly scribble on your notes (drawing curves, arrows, math work, etc) has me envious.