Best Lure Ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Its Z

Retired
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is all...No Salmonidae is safe when this lure swims by. :thumbup:

krocodilelg.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Shoot, with a treble hook that large, you could probably catch a trident class submarine and a tuna boat on the same cast. Hardly seems fair. :D

In Michigan, when they are running, you have to be pretty fast to set the hook when they strike, because the fish will spit the lure back out. Adding glow tape to the spoon and wetting your line after the sun goes down also improves your chances.

In cases like this, I miss Michigan. I don't miss the snow, what I don't miss is shoveling the snow. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot, with a treble hook that large, you could probably catch a trident class submarine and a tuna boat on the same cast. Hardly seems fair. :D

In Michigan, when they are running, you have to be pretty fast to set the hook when they strike, because the fish will spit the lure back out. Adding glow tape to the spoon and wetting your line after the sun goes down also improves your chances.

In cases like this, I miss Michigan. I don't miss the snow, what I don't miss is shoveling the snow. :)

Absolutely true about the fast set. When they feel the hard metal they do spit it out. That's why a little kid dunking a worm or fishing with powerbait, corn, and marshmallows will outfish us....

I always used nightcrawlers or crickets but I was catching cat fish, not salmon.

Crickets are great for blue gills and sunfish.

We weren't catching salmon...salmon run starts in a month and they'll run until the fall. Then the steelheads enter the river in the winter. We were catching native rainbow trouts drifting and wading the river. We all started with a flyrod....then quickly realized they weren't hitting any flies so 4 of us went to spincasting with lures. 1 dood stubbornly stayed with flycasting for 2 days and caught 3 fish while rest of us hooked about 30+ each.

Meh, salmon... white bass rules! Just had two very nice representatives of the species over for dinner tonight. :D

Meh, salmon... white bass rules! Just had two very nice representatives of the species over for dinner tonight. :D

I don't even keep White Bass... it's a throw away fish for me. And I used to catch a load of them in Texas. Only fish I keep is Crappie.

When I say Salmonidae...I'm referring to salmon like fish such as trout.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me about it! I've got 13 days before I get to have a fishing rod in my hands. Call up the red snapper for me!

I fished every weekend for the past 5 weeks.. I need a break.

I don't even keep White Bass... it's a throw away fish for me. And I used to catch a load of them in Texas. Only fish I keep is Crappie.

When I say Salmonidae...I'm referring to salmon like fish such as trout.
All kinds of freshwater bass are near and dear to my heart. Taste of the summer weekends of my childhood. :)

All they need is some salt and a dusting of flour and a pan full of smoking hot oil. Yum. I love the tail fins too, they get nice and crunchy when fried.

Last edited:
I'm going fly fishing for the first time. Any tips? I'll be under the guidance of someone but should I bring anything extra on my trip?

I'm going fly fishing for the first time. Any tips? I'll be under the guidance of someone but should I bring anything extra on my trip?

If you're going with a paid guide just have fun. If its someone just taking you fishing bless his/her heart as its one of the biggest PIA to take a novice fishing. Just do as you're told and buy dinner.

If you're going with a paid guide just have fun. If its someone just taking you fishing bless his/her heart as its one of the biggest PIA to take a novice fishing. Just do as you're told and buy dinner.

My friend won a raffle for two at school for one of our professors to take us on a fly fishing lesson/trip. Fly fishing, then dinner. I'm really excited! :D

Do you have the right lures..

Dropping a worm doesn't count

What about Onchorrhyncus mykiss?

What about it? Isn't rainbow a salmonid? We probably pulled out over 30 with kroc . blue fox spinner was deadly too

Oh spiri....that's too bad. To catch a fish...you have to find it....then think like a fish