Best Mainstream Beer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since I first tasted it 1.5 years ago, Green Flash Imperial IPA has been far and away my favorite beer, displacing Stone Arrogant Bastard. Almost everything Ballast Point makes is excellent as well.

If you like Green Flash, get your hands on some Palate Wrecker. The best of their best.

I spend too much time these days thinking about, buying, and drinking beer to comment on much of this. I simply love the stuff. As someone pointed out, in matters of taste, there are no wrong answers. I'm lucky that in SF there are some great beer bars, but also some really comprehensive retails stores. Healthy Spirits in the Castro (for anyone on the board who lives here) is simply the best collection I've ever seen and the staff there has great knowledge and recommendations. A couple things they've turned me onto recently:

Mikkeler Beer Geek Breakfast, a great coffee stout. Anything I've had from Mikkeler has been super. Mostly aged stouts and porters.

He'Brew's Jewbelation, a cuvee of 6 different aged porters.

St Jacobins Cuvee Rouge. If you like flemish sour ales with cherry tones, this is the best of the bunch. perfectly balanced, tart, but still with the fruit center-stage.

Black Diamond Grand Cru. Imagine a sour flemish ale, no fruit, then aged in bourbon barrels and bottle fermented. Tart, sweet, rich all at once.

I tried to import photos of these, but even as a plebe-level mod, I don't know how to do it correctly!

Members don't see this ad.

gH8Ke.jpg

Drinking one of these right now.

sevoflurane said:
Anybody brewing their own beers?

Just started doing that this Christmas, my initial dark ale turned out pretty well, waiting for the lager to age (bottled two weeks ago, going to wait another two to four before sampling one). At this point, I'm just using kits (Cooper's kit is cheap, easy, and actually produces rather tastey brews), but plan to branch branch out further as residency comes to a close.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lot's of favorites... depends on my mood/weather. I like a lot of those on that list... especially Blue Moon/NewCastle/Guiness. If I have to choose between cheap crap beer its either Bud Light or PBR. I really don't like Heineken. I will have to try that Leffe, though... looks good.

Here is an IPA that I was recently introduced to. Pretty solid:

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=40f052d8-81f6-4a7b-9a38-6806c0eeebff

I like local beers, so these are some of my favorite locals... probably doesn't help many, but Boulevard is expanding, and I think that New Belgium is pretty far reaching. Free State is still pretty local, although they finally started bottling in the last 2 years... it used to be only available at the brewery in kegs or growlers. :thumbup:

Overall deliciousness:

http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/tank-7-farmhouse-ale

In the mood for a nice stout:

http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/dark-truth-stout

Hot as hell?:

http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/unfiltered-wheat-beer/

Another one of my favorite ales:

http://www.freestatebrewing.com/beer/ad-astra-ale/

Can't forget about this:

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=7c5b394b-d7b7-486a-ac9a-316256a7b0ee

Boulevard wheat on tap in the middle of the summer is probably my favorite combo ever. I am moving back to KC in August for a job and can't wait to get my hands on a pint of that liquid goodness!!!

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.

I'm going to be making a trip to Newport, Oregon this summer - any recommendations in that area?

I've been tempted for years...

Interested in the quality of beers that can be brewed at home.

If it doesn't taste like the good stuff, I won't bother... of course I understand there is a learning curve to brewing your own.
Be prepared to make quite a few batches, but you can make some very nice beers. My post-college roomate and I made about a dozen batches many years ago and saved a six pack from each batch of 48 beers. We had a beer tasting party with the stash and it was a well received blast...

In January Ratebeer.com released its best beers in the world list. Since then I have been drinking my way down the list, when I can find them. So far I have had numbers 1,3-6,9, 16, and 20. I have 13 and 19 waiting for the right opportunity. I'm not a huge stout fan, and this list is heavy with stouts. Westvleteren 12 is one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted. But for an every day, nice drinkable beer, I don't think you can beat Bells Hopslam or Pliny the Elder.

1. Westvleteren 12
2. Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter
3. Goose Island Rare Bourbon County Stout
4. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
5. Rochefort Trappistes 10
6. Bells Hopslam
7. Russian River Pliny the Younger
8. Cigar City Pilot Series Passionfruit and Dragonfruit Berliner Weiss
9. AleSmith Speedway Stout
10. Deschutes The Abyss
11. Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout
12. Bells Expedition Stout
13. Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
14. 3 Fonteinen Armand’4 Oude Geuze Lente
15. Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
16. Russian River Pliny the Elder
17. Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA
18. Westvleteren Extra 8
19. Firestone Walker Parabola
20. Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Trust - welcome back to KC! I'd be interested to know what fellowship you did, if you are willing to share... (you probably already have in other threads, but I haven't caught it)

Bcat - Good call on the summer shandy, can't believe I forgot it. Love to sip on that when I'm floating up at the lake...

I've been tempted for years...

Interested in the quality of beers that can be brewed at home.

If it doesn't taste like the good stuff, I won't bother... of course I understand there is a learning curve to brewing your own.
I've tried, and it's a LOT harder than it seems at first blush. It's not just a matter of having the equipment, the ingredients Nd the recipe--you need technique, and it takes a while to develop it. I've tired mineand several friends' beer, and I think intakes several batches until its drinkable, and several more until you'd want to drink it. Even then, its not to the point where I'd honestly choose it over a good craft beer (despit all testimony given to said parties). It's expensive too.

Unless you have a serious interesting it (read: want to open own brewery) I'd just focus on drinking the stuff.

+2 for Bell's Two Hearted and the Hop-Slam. Bell's has a pretty solid line-up overall. I also like Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce. Rogue reaches out here to the midwest as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Westvleteren 12 is one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted.

:confused: Where did you find it? It's only sold at the monastery; from the website:

" At the time indicated, call us using the beer phone number (+32 (0)70/21.00.45)
Then you can make an appointment (date and time) with the beer phone operator, providing the license plate number of the car which will be used to pick up the order.

Please take into account that you may often get a busy signal when you call to make a reservation, due to the fact that our beer lines are overburdened! You're not the only one who is calling at that moment. Due to our small-scale production, the number of telephone calls is much greater than the number of available reservations. That means it's a matter of having a lot of patience as well as a lot of luck.

Attention! From the 1st of December 2011 on it takes at least 60 days before the same automobile can pick up a next order."

Of course there is a black market for the product but it's still hard to find even in Belgium

:confused: Where did you find it? It's only sold at the monastery; from the website:

While the sale of beer is prohibited on Ebay, the sale of collectible bottles is not. Many, many fine, rare, collectible bottles, whose contents are incidental, are available. :)

While the sale of beer is prohibited on Ebay, the sale of collectible bottles is not. Many, many fine, rare, collectible bottles, whose contents are incidental, are available. :)

I bet that cost you a pretty penny.

Beer Advocate is just a fantastic site. I think everyone ends up there eventually when they finally realize that there's more to the beer world than the American Adjunct Lagers that are readily available on tap everywhere (bud, coors, miller, corona, dos equis, busch etc)

American Adjunct Lager

Description:
Light bodied, pale, fizzy lagers made popular by the large macro-breweries (large breweries) of America after prohibition. Low bitterness, thin malts, and moderate alcohol. Focus is less on flavor and more on mass-production and consumption, cutting flavor and sometimes costs with adjunct cereal grains, like rice and corn.

Anyway, here's some beers:

iIY3o.jpg

gH8Ke.jpg

chsAx.jpg

krVYA.jpg

Ayinger is good stuff.
Had La Fin Du Monde today and it's very good.
Looks like I'll be trying the rest of your list next time I'm at the beer gettin place.

1. Yuengling Traditional - delicious, definitely one of my favorites. Super excited that I matched to residency in state that I can actually buy this beer again.
2. Blue Moon - not bad, but not my favorite. certainly better than some of the lower ranked beers, but not worthy of being #2
3. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - haven't had it in a long time, but this list makes me want to go out and buy it
4. NewCastle Brown Ale - so good. so smooth. a six pack of this disappears long before I need to go back to the grocery store.
5. Guiness Stout - great when i'm in a dark beer mood
6. Samuel Adams Lager - can never go wrong with a boston lager. their other varieties are good too.
7. Modelo Especial - never had it...my hatred for corona has probably given me an unfair bias on all beers from mexico
8. Becks - meh
9. Heineken - don't get me started on this budlight-level (at best) beer sold at a premium price
10. Corona Extra - a beer sold to you already skunked, requiring a lime to make it almost drinkable.

1. Yuengling Traditional - delicious, definitely one of my favorites. Super excited that I matched to residency in state that I can actually buy this beer again.
2. Blue Moon - not bad, but not my favorite. certainly better than some of the lower ranked beers, but not worthy of being #2
3. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - haven't had it in a long time, but this list makes me want to go out and buy it
4. NewCastle Brown Ale - so good. so smooth. a six pack of this disappears long before I need to go back to the grocery store.
5. Guiness Stout - great when i'm in a dark beer mood
6. Samuel Adams Lager - can never go wrong with a boston lager. their other varieties are good too.
7. Modelo Especial - never had it...my hatred for corona has probably given me an unfair bias on all beers from mexico
8. Becks - meh
9. Heineken - don't get me started on this budlight-level (at best) beer sold at a premium price
10. Corona Extra - a beer sold to you already skunked, requiring a lime to make it almost drinkable.

finally someone who matches my hatred for corona and heineken. cant stand the 2.

all mexican beer aint bad, dos equis is alright

Honestly pretty shocked no one mentioned Dogfish Head based out of Delaware. Their 90 minute is one of the hoppiest, most crisp IPAs I have tasted (prefer it to the 120 minute). Also agree with the Modus Hoperandi being an excellent beer choice.

Honestly pretty shocked no one mentioned Dogfish Head based out of Delaware. Their 90 minute is one of the hoppiest, most crisp IPAs I have tasted (prefer it to the 120 minute). Also agree with the Modus Hoperandi being an excellent beer choice.

Dogfish Head is excellent. Didn't think it was all that mainstream though, maybe that's why it hasn't been mentioned.

IPA guy myself. As a Fort Worth, TX native, I am partial to Rahr & Sons Brewing Co. Their Stormcloud IPA is solid. Gotta speak up for Dogfish Head as well.

My all-time favorite beer is Rahr Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer. You'll thank me later.

I too feel the need to express my utter disdain for Corona. It is criminal the product they are passing off as beer.

Belhaven Scottish Ale Draught is my new favorite beer. If you haven't tried some of the draught beers (other than draft Guinness) you are missing out. Smooth and almost creamy yet not heavy like Guiness, I love it.

Also, I literally just toured Dogfish Head's brewery, free tour with 4 drinks based on what's just coming out at the time you visit. Their 120min IPA almost tastes like a bourbon/Belgian mix.

Sam Adams White Ale has always been my fav. Just a fantastic taste. They have renamed it white lantern and no longer offer it as the spring seasonal brew, it was replaced by alpine spring, which is a great beer, but just not the same.

I'm from upstate NY, grew up taking saturday 2 to 2 trips at the FX matt brewery in Utica, the founder of Saranac and Utica Club. Saranac pale ale is a fantastic beer but I dont think I would call it mainstream.

Also a fan of Chimay blue, but its not as common around where I live now.

Sam Adams White Ale has always been my fav. Just a fantastic taste. They have renamed it white lantern and no longer offer it as the spring seasonal brew, it was replaced by alpine spring, which is a great beer, but just not the same.

I'm from upstate NY, grew up taking saturday 2 to 2 trips at the FX matt brewery in Utica, the founder of Saranac and Utica Club. Saranac pale ale is a fantastic beer but I dont think I would call it mainstream.

Also a fan of Chimay blue, but its not as common around where I live now.

I used to get Saranac all the time in college. It was a great pale ale. Another one I used to get in college, but is becoming much more mainstream now, is Magic Hat. I will admit, like many beers, it's much better on tap...

Ha! I'm from Utica, NY, and always feel a bit sad when someone says they were in Utica NY and didn't go to the Brewery...there's nothing else to do there, and not going is missing out on a treasure.

I agree with the Abita recommendation, and strongly agree with the Dale's Pale Ale.

Any Anchor Steam fans?

in SF there are some great beer bars, but also some really comprehensive retails stores. Healthy Spirits in the Castro (for anyone on the board who lives here)

cchoukal - fortunately for me they just opened a Healthy Spirits in the Richmond (an easy shot from the VA, in fact).

There are obviously many with good taste here.

I'll just add that for those that have a discerning IPA palate (the green flash, RRBC, Bell's etc., drinkers), I was just turned on to an incredible IPA from Ballast Point - a brewery I'm not actually all that fond of, generally, but this one has made me an evangelist.

If you see it, pick up a six pack of their Sculpin IPA - I've never seen double 100's on Beer Advocate, but this beer pulled it off, and after having it, I can see why. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/29619

Edited to add: on tap here in SF at the Hi-Lo on Polk.

Last edited:
Lovin' the Yuengling love in here! It's a great (and cheap) go-to when there's not a craft beer bar around.

Right now I'm in hop heaven - just got back from Vermont with plenty of Heady Topper, Lawson's, and Hill Farmstead.

Affligem and Leffe.

The Belgians sure know how to brew a good beer.

Last edited:
Affligem and Leffe.

The Belgians sure know how to brew a good beer.

If you are in Ohio or Western PA you have to find Fatheads Head Trip, a trippel. Like 12-15% ABV but does not drink like it. Truly an amazing beer. Similar to Gulden Draak but better flavor AND smoother.

finally someone who matches my hatred for corona and heineken. cant stand the 2.

all mexican beer aint bad, dos equis is alright

My thoughts exactly. All the others are decent for what you pick up at a gas station.

1+ for Ballast Point Sculpin IPA. Far better than their Big Eye IPA. Their Dorado Double IPA is excellent as well (albeit a little harder to find). They also have a Tongue Buckler that is more akin to Stone's Arrogant Bastard that is quite good.

Stone Double Bastard deserves special mention as well.

Lovin' the Yuengling love in here! It's a great (and cheap) go-to when there's not a craft beer bar around.

Right now I'm in hop heaven - just got back from Vermont with plenty of Heady Topper, Lawson's, and Hill Farmstead.

Big time Heady Topper fan here. I hired a girl to drive the 5 hours back and forth to VT to pick me up 3 cases. One guy in PA sent me $30 to ship him two cans!

Among the more mainstream choices, I'm really into the double IPAs. Stone Reuniation, the "drink by" series, Lagunitas Maximus, Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. I don't like Dogfish 90 minute IPA.. too balanced for me. I just don't like a heavy malt body to interfere with the hop experience.

I've been into homebrewing since December and I'm working on some major upgrades for my rig. I built a 15 gallon brew kettle using a Bayou Classic 62 QT stockpot as the base. I plan to heat it using an Avanco 3500W induction burner. Been tossing around ideas for the mash tun.. HERMS/RIMS, etc. I would go into more detail, but most of this is probably Greek already to you guys. The homebrewtalk site is awesome. There's a great thread on cloning Heady Topper.

If you're looking for a hobby to soak up loads of free time and money, check this out: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com

Bravo to whoever resurrected this thread!

I've been on an Anchor Steam kick lately as a bar near me has it on draft. Same goes for Bell's Two-Hearted.

Bravo to whoever resurrected this thread!

I've been on an Anchor Steam kick lately as a bar near me has it on draft. Same goes for Bell's Two-Hearted.

Well I bought la fin du monde the other day because when i saw it on the shelf i vaguely remembered it being mention on this thread last year. Had to come back and give a 'thanks for the tip' when i drank it an it was so good.

Has anyone tried Founders Breakfast Stout? I highly recommend it. Very intense coffee flavor that'll definitely wake you up in the morning :D

Has anyone tried Founders Breakfast Stout? I highly recommend it. Very intense coffee flavor that'll definitely wake you up in the morning :D

I'm not usually a fan of stouts since what I want in beer is usually refreshment, not a meal. But my sister left some FBS at my place last fall and recently I happened to notice how high it is on the BA rankings, so I gave it a try.

Damn good beer, but I'm not sure when to drink it! I'm really NOT looking for a hit of caffeine after 6 pm.

Big time Heady Topper fan here. I hired a girl to drive the 5 hours back and forth to VT to pick me up 3 cases. One guy in PA sent me $30 to ship him two cans!

Among the more mainstream choices, I'm really into the double IPAs. Stone Reuniation, the "drink by" series, Lagunitas Maximus, Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. I don't like Dogfish 90 minute IPA.. too balanced for me. I just don't like a heavy malt body to interfere with the hop experience.

I've been into homebrewing since December and I'm working on some major upgrades for my rig. I built a 15 gallon brew kettle using a Bayou Classic 62 QT stockpot as the base. I plan to heat it using an Avanco 3500W induction burner. Been tossing around ideas for the mash tun.. HERMS/RIMS, etc. I would go into more detail, but most of this is probably Greek already to you guys. The homebrewtalk site is awesome. There's a great thread on cloning Heady Topper.

If you're looking for a hobby to soak up loads of free time and money, check this out: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com

People do crazy things for Heady. I've had friends go up there and come back crammed in a car with 30 cases. I don't know how their suspension made the trip back to Philly. But the VT area is just sick for beer, and Heady fresh on tap at Pro Pig is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Add to that some of the best pizza I've ever had at Parker Pie Co. near Hill Farmstead, and I'm ready to go back now.

Sounds like a nice set-up. My husband and I are just about to start homebrewing, so we only have one of the plastic bucket brew kits sitting around and really need to start using it. We listen to some of the Brewing Network podcasts, and have a bunch of websites and twitter feeds we follow. I've been surprised at how big the homebrew community is.

Founders Breakfast Stout is my favorite winter beer. Their Dirty Bastard is delicious, as well. Other favorites: Bells Amber Ale, New Belgiums Fat Tire and Hoponius Union by Jack's Abby Brewing.

I like Miller lite as a cheap drink after a long run...

all i've got to say is you guys must drink a helluva lot beer to know all this stuff about aromas and whatnot