Best Medical Schools with high Black American Matriculants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerful_squib

Snoop dogg resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting the whole entire process this year, taking the MCAT and applying. My stats are less than stellar but I just wanted to know which medical schools I should look at the most, besides the historically black medical schools. Does the MSAR have these stats. The reason why I ask is because I want to apply to schools where I know I will at least have a slight chance of getting in. If your a black female urm I would really like to know the process that you went through.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out this thread.

Top 10 Medical Schools Graduating Blacks, Native American, Hispanics, and Asians

The MSAR would have a good deal of the information you are looking for and the Minority Student Opportunities in United States Medical Schools (MSOUSMS) would be helpful to you as well.

There are a host of suggestions for preparing yourself to be the best possible applicant in many of the threads in this forum and across SDN. Take a good look at them and keep us abreast of how things are going for you.

Good Luck and Welcome!!!:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to suggest though that you don't limit yourself to just those schools that have historically graduated a lot of black students. All schools in this country will consider you if you're a competitive applicant, and even schools that have historically not had many URM students want to recruit talented URM students who meet their requirements. The best options for most students, regardless of race, are usually their state schools. You should use the MSAR to find other schools where your stats (MCAT and GPA) are at or preferably above the school's averages, and where you match with their mission. For example, if you want to go into research, don't pick schools that emphasize primary care. Also, pay particular attention to residency requirements, and don't apply to schools that don't take people from your state. State residency can make a huge difference in terms of whether you are competitive for certain schools. Some of my state schools (I'm from FL) have relatively low stat averages, but if you're not a FL resident or someone with strong ties to the state of FL, you would be wasting your time applying to them. The MSAR tells you the course pre-requisites for each school as well. Be aware that some schools require extra classes like biochem or calculus.

In general, make your application as strong as you possibly can, and keep an open mind about where you will end up. You may find yourself being pleasantly surprised by certain schools once you have a chance to visit each school during interviews and see them for yourself. :luck: to you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can check out this thread.

Top 10 Medical Schools Graduating Blacks, Native American, Hispanics, and Asians

The MSAR would have a good deal of the information you are looking for and the Minority Student Opportunities in United States Medical Schools (MSOUSMS) would be helpful to you as well.

There are a host of suggestions for preparing yourself to be the best possible applicant in many of the threads in this forum and across SDN. Take a good look at them and keep us abreast of how things are going for you.

Good Luck and Welcome!!!:luck:

I saw that thread right after I posted this, thanks for your comment, it's greatly appreciated.

I would like to suggest though that you don't limit yourself to just those schools that have historically graduated a lot of black students. All schools in this country will consider you if you're a competitive applicant, and even schools that have historically not had many URM students want to recruit talented URM students who meet their requirements. The best options for most students, regardless of race, are usually their state schools. You should use the MSAR to find other schools where your stats (MCAT and GPA) are at or preferably above the school's averages, and where you match with their mission. For example, if you want to go into research, don't pick schools that emphasize primary care. Also, pay particular attention to residency requirements, and don't apply to schools that don't take people from your state. State residency can make a huge difference in terms of whether you are competitive for certain schools. Some of my state schools (I'm from FL) have relatively low stat averages, but if you're not a FL resident or someone with strong ties to the state of FL, you would be wasting your time applying to them. The MSAR tells you the course pre-requisites for each school as well. Be aware that some schools require extra classes like biochem or calculus.

In general, make your application as strong as you possibly can, and keep an open mind about where you will end up. You may find yourself being pleasantly surprised by certain schools once you have a chance to visit each school during interviews and see them for yourself. :luck: to you. :)

Thanks for the advice. I should get the MSAR and the MSOUSMS books. I don't know about the whole In-state thing only because I really don't want to stay in NJ any longer, but I still will apply to both NJMS and RWJ. Thanks for your advice.

Hi all,

I'm starting the whole entire process this year, taking the MCAT and applying. My stats are less than stellar but I just wanted to know which medical schools I should look at the most, besides the historically black medical schools. Does the MSAR have these stats. The reason why I ask is because I want to apply to schools where I know I will at least have a slight chance of getting in. If your a black female urm I would really like to know the process that you went through.

thanks

I am a Black female and now about to complete residency in General Surgery. I chose my medical schools based on location only. I applied to my two of my three state schools, two private schools and one out of state school (loved the curriculum and administration).

In the United States, any medical school can launch your career provided you do well there. For me, location was a major factor as I knew that I wasn't interested in going to the midwest or west.

In terms of MSAR, this book will give you average MCAT/GPA,cost of attending along with curriculum and demographic information. It's a very useful book. In terms of averages, they are just that, averages meaning some people are above those numbers and some are below. You need to optimize your application as much as you can to meet or exceed the averages of the medical schools that interest you but in terms of GPA, there is only so much that you can accomplish.

You can totally rock the MCAT with thorough and meticulous preparation which will do loads in terms of making you a more competitive candidate. You can also make sure that the rest of your AMCAS application is as strong and competitive as possible (good LORs, good extra curriculars, good PS).

Finally, choose schools that appear to be a good fit for you in terms of location, curriculum, campus environment and averages. You need not limit yourself to HBCUs as most schools are going to look at your entire application. If you are worried about your academics, try to avoid schools that screen by GPA/MCAT. It's hard to know which ones do this but you can get some inkling by looking at the averages in the MSAR. Good luck!