Best medical show?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptavasso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've read a lot of threads and posts about the accuracy of medical shows. My question is:
Out of House, Grey's Anatomy, and Scrubs, which show is more medical than drama?

As in, which show has more medical cases and focuses more on the medical aspect than on relationships, breakups, drama, character's life story, etc.

I'm not looking for which show is the most accurate, I'm looking for which show has the most medical content (less drama, character stories, relationships).

I've already googled a lot and searched the forums. I'm just looking for a quick simple answer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're trying to watch these shows to learn something then let me be the first to tell you...

It's never lupus.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grey's anatomy is complete garbage.
House is nice and the cases are usually somewhat possible, but often pretty farfetched (medical synopsis here)
From what I've been told, Scrubs is the most accurate in terms of life-style & just general medicine as a field, but I can't be sure as of yet.

House focuses the most on medical cases but the cases are often one in a million. Really though, all of them focus more on relationships and drama because that is what is uniquely human and draws the biggest audience.

I've heard some schools let you out of M3 surgery rotations earlier if you go home and watch greys anatomy.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard some schools let you out of M3 surgery rotations earlier if you go home and watch greys anatomy.

Wow really!? Does it also improve my chances of getting into medical school? I need to know so I can stop studying and focus more on watching the shows. Thanks for the advice!

House. But I suggest you watch other medical shows, like "Trauma Life in the ER", that's about as real as it can get. Mystery Diagnosis is a good one.

Reactions: 2 users
Scrubs is by far the most realistic.

House has sort-of realistic cases but how they practice medicine is a joke.

But I suggest you watch other medical shows, like "Trauma Life in the ER", that's about as real as it can get.

A few weeks ago I watched that for the first time in years, because I was curious how actually working in an ER would change my perception of it.

Not as realistic as I remembered.

Well, House is based on a real physician in Dallas.... so I've heard.

I would suggest finding a documentary or reality ER show. Life in the ER used to be cool. It's pretty real, as they follow a few doctor around for a couple of nights in ERs around the country. It's fairly old, though.

Despite how cute you look, if that's you in your profile picture, you may want to change it for anonymity's sake.

EDIT: Annnnnd, suddenly you're a ghost. K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
A few weeks ago I watched that for the first time in years, because I was curious how actually working in an ER would change my perception of it.

Not as realistic as I remembered.

What isn't realistic? Trauma Life in the ER? I work in a Level 1 ER and I think it's highly accurate. And that show is shot live so how is it not accurate? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying?

Reactions: 1 users
What isn't realistic? Trauma Life in the ER? I work in a Level 1 ER and I think it's highly accurate. And that show is shot live so how is it not accurate? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying?

Ok I'm thinking of a different show. I think I watched "Untold Stories of the ER."

Ok I'm thinking of a different show. I think I watched "Untold Stories of the ER."
Those were re-enactments. Mostly done by the doctors who worked the cases, though. So that was kind of cool.

Those were re-enactments. Mostly done by the doctors who worked the cases, though. So that was kind of cool.

Yeahhh. That show is terrible because the actors CANNOT act. It is cool though the doctors tell you their version of it, and some will play themselves in the reenactment.

Do yall remember the show Becker?? Lol.

Lol what? After watching the first episode where the doctors BREAK INTO A PATIENT'S HOUSE LIKE POLICE OFFICERS, I couldn't suspend my disbelief.
Grey's anatomy is complete garbage.
House is nice and the cases are usually somewhat possible, but often pretty farfetched (medical synopsis here)
From what I've been told, Scrubs is the most accurate in terms of life-style & just general medicine as a field, but I can't be sure as of yet.

Lol what? After watching the first episode where the doctors BREAK INTO A PATIENT'S HOUSE LIKE POLICE OFFICERS, I couldn't suspend my disbelief.
In the episode No Reasons, the "surgical robot" they use is prop-tastic.

In the episode No Reasons, the "surgical robot" they use is prop-tastic.
My favorite is when they use that one plot device of almost killing the patient to diagnose them. What episode was that in again?

Anyone else here love when they see a bellows pumping away next to a patient on a nasal cannula? Or a patient in the ICU without a single drip or IV pump going?

My favorite is when they use that one plot device of almost killing the patient to diagnose them. What episode was that in again?
Lots of them? I haven't seen the last about 5 seasons. It got super boring to me. The whole show had a predictable bi-polar sort of progression. Happy-ish to super sad and a bit trippy, back to happy-ish.

"It's lupus. No it's not. You only care about the puzzle. People don't change. I guess hard drugs are ok for a doctor on opiates. I love you. No I don't." ....got old after a while. And what's with everything on the show being slightly grey?

Anyone else here love when they see a bellows pumping away next to a patient on a nasal cannula? Or a patient in the ICU without a single drip or IV pump going?

No levophed, no propofol. Just 99% on RA alert and oriented.... just as "critical" as they can be....

Lots of them? I haven't seen the last about 5 seasons. It got super boring to me. The whole show had a predictable bi-polar sort of progression. Happy-ish to super sad and a bit trippy, back to happy-ish.

"It's lupus. No it's not. You only care about the puzzle. People don't change. I guess hard drugs are ok for a doctor on opiates. I love you. No I don't." ....got old after a while. And what's with everything on the show being slightly grey?
The joke was all of them. Glad you caught on!

The show was always the same. It can be summed up in one gif

lcusSFV.gif

In regards to everything being slightly gray, that was a stylistic choice. The people in post-processing tried to make a lot of scenes seem drab and dreary.

Reactions: 6 users
The joke was all of them. Glad you caught on!

The show was always the same. It can be summed up in one gif

lcusSFV.gif

In regards to everything being slightly gray, that was a stylistic choice. The people in post-processing tried to make a lot of scenes seem drab and dreary.
I lost it at "I forbid this!" :rofl:

Its the life of trauma surgeons in the ER not EM docs. They also cut out the 100 chest/abdominal/dental pains and sniffles in between the brutal traumas.

Trauma:Life is old, but 911:The Bronx, NY Med, and Boston Med are all fairly recent.

Private Practice is pretty great. It's a spin-off of Grey's Anatomy.

Edit---

Scrubs is lame as hell. Couldn't finish Season 1.

Last edited:
no one has said, "children's hospital"?!?! The healing power of laughter!

I'd recommend scrubs.

If there's one thing you need to learn, it's that everything comes down to poo.

Scrubs (excluding the last season) and House. As others have mentioned, Scrubs is probably the more accurate one. Also, Scrubs is one of those TV shows that you can watch over and over again.

Private Practice is pretty great. It's a spin-off of Grey's Anatomy.

Edit---

Scrubs is lame as hell. Couldn't finish Season 1.

Scrubs gets really good after season 1, peaking around 4 or 5. I am re-watching Scrubs and getting through season one is tough.

Greys Anatomy gets me through my day...

But it's not realistic at all.

This is because much of the first season was based on stories that originally appeared in the New Yorker about 60-70 years ago about cases investigated by the Epidemic Intelligence Service of the CDC. So, of course, they go into people's homes to conduct their investigations. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven_Blue_Men

I love how everyone is extremely attractive on medical shows. So accurate right?

Interesting but I would think that this is a job for detectives, not doctors. Am I fair?

Not when the investigation is of an outbreak of disease. Let's say that there is an outbreak of Hepatitis A in a community. It is usually related to poor food handling and a food handler who is a carrier. Where did the victims buy food? What restaurants have they visited? Do they know one another ? have any done any traveling? Catered meals? Hardly a job for police detectives but sanitation and food service establishments is regulated by the local health department and they have legal powers in such cases (they can order a restaurant closed, etc)

An attempted homicide by poisoning might be investigated by the police but if the cause is an environmental toxin that is accidentally poisoning people, then who you gonna call?

Not when the investigation is of an outbreak of disease. Let's say that there is an outbreak of Hepatitis A in a community. It is usually related to poor food handling and a food handler who is a carrier. Where did the victims buy food? What restaurants have they visited? Do they know one another ? have any done any traveling? Catered meals? Hardly a job for police detectives but sanitation and food service establishments is regulated by the local health department and they have legal powers in such cases (they can order a restaurant closed, etc)

An attempted homicide by poisoning might be investigated by the police but if the cause is an environmental toxin that is accidentally poisoning people, then who you gonna call?
Can't say calling a doctor would be my first choice either :laugh: Unless we're not talking about a physician, then....nvm.

This is what the folks at the CDC call "shoe leather epidemiology".

Just a heads up y'all NY Med will be airing a new season this summer. :thumbup: