About the ads

best mph degree to compliment pharmd?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by vardenafil, May 14, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. vardenafil

vardenafil

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    im a pharmd who is having trouble finding work. ive been thinking about career direction. and i decided to pursue an mph degree. however i cant decide between a general mph or a degree specialized in health management. my career goal would to be a manger type position in a hospital or government clinic. do you think a general mph degree would open more doors for me? or should i specialize with the health care management. ive even thought about dropping the pharmacy profession all together and concentrating in public health.
  2. roger0770

roger0770

Non-Student
    i think you should ask yourself to see what field you're most interested in. people with different backgrounds work in the mph field, so it really depends on what you're interested in doing. i'd start looking at the schools you're interested in attending, look over their programs, and start talking to their faculty and see what they offer. good luck!
  3. Pharmeleon

Pharmeleon

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm also a PharmD looking for an MPH program. I started my MPH through a distance education program and took some online classes before my pharmacy residencies but am now looking for a non-online MPH program. The job market isn't great, so I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to land before picking a program. I got on SDN just now to see what people were saying about different schools. Best of luck to you!
  4. hereticmnk

hereticmnk

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am a pharmacist who is enrolled in a PhD program which also offers an option for an MPH. I advise you not to go to grad school just because you have trouble finding a job (I know the job market sucks). If you want a manager type position in a hospital, you could consider masters in hospital administration (nice pay, comparable to a pharmacist). Also why do you want to do an MPH if you want a management position. Wouldn't MBA be more suited? MPH with concentration in health systems and policy would be appropriate for a managerial position, although I am not really that familiar with it.
  5. 124bbb

124bbb

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Now see, I have been contemplating the reverse. I have my MPH and have found an increased interest towards being more educated in Pharmacology. Not for a career change as much as more knowledge under my belt for higher advancement in my future goals. I also recommend just finding the area that suits you best if you are pursuing something within the mph field.
  6. mystal

mystal mystal

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Sounds like an MHA would be most appropriate for your career goals. I know VCU has a good program.
  7. dilipkumar

dilipkumar

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am pharm.D grad from INDIA very much intrested to do MPH in U.S:idea:.i dont know complete info regarding MPH.can you give me some basic info about carrer in public health &what are the oppurtunities far behind there? is there any "license like exams" to get job position after MPH?because it is long way for us to take FPGEE----> NAPLEX to get licensed :confused:so i decided to do MPH wholeheartedly!!!

ypur reply matters me a lot.thank you,Glad to hear reply from you....!
  8. Lemon Meringue

Lemon Meringue

Other Health Professions Student
    I would agree with the others who are pointing you in the direction of MHA (masters of healthcare administration) as this seems it would best prepare you for your career goals. There are probably part-time programs where you could get the MHA while working.