best OB-Gyn programs in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdoc2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious about the top 10 or 15 OB-Gyn residency programs in the nation based on reputation. Any ideas?? Also, are there web sites that rank programs or are we all just stuck relying on word-of-mouth? Thanks for your help!

kdoc2005
:)

Members don't see this ad.

you can check the USnews honor roll (ranks best hospitals by specialty). Although it doesn't rank residency programs per se it can give you an idea. www.usnews.com
R u applying to obgyn for the 2004 match?

No, I will be in Match 2005 but wanted to get an idea. Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've learned to not pay much attention to US News when it comes to residency selection. You'll find that programs vary in strenghts and weaknesses. Just because a program is a "big name" institution doesn't mean its a top program. I think best bet is to do an away elective and lots of research and to come up with your own idea!

Everyone has told me something different about this, but a few schools keep coming up. I am from the West, so people know more about those schools. Here is what I have compiled as some of the best programs in no particular order:

UNC
Magee's in Pittsburg
Brigham and Women's (Boston)
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Alabama
Washington
Oregon
Colorado
Utah
Iowa

If any others have come up consistently for you, let me know. Also, you will notice that I have no programs in California or NY/NJ. That is because I have heard there are no great programs in those states.

The NY/NJ area does indeed have several excellent Ob/Gyn programs. Among them NYU, Columbia, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai, to name a few. I am not exactly sure what criteria you are using to define "a good program" but if you are looking for excellent clinical training, diversity in patient population and reputation, there are plenty of programs to choose from over here! Just my two cents.....I'm sure I'll have more to offer once I begin interviewing.

DoctorMontero, MSIV

Yes I am sure there are many other good programs out there... Do you know any other good programs on the east coast or midwest??

Hey Mailbuddy:

As I have just started my long treck to med school I don't know too much about residency programs, but I do know that Northwestern (Chicago) has produced some wonderful OB/GYNs, I have worked w/ several of them over the years from residents to clinical profs. and have been told that it is the best in the area.

On a side note Rush also has a good program according to one of the docs I work with.

Good luck to you!

Hey acuteobrn!
Thanks for the info! Yes, NW is a great place! I did a 2 month elective there in high risk OB as a visiting student and another at Evanston H. Are you a RN there?
I'll check Rush too.
Know anything about UIC or U of Chi??
Thanks for your input!
Good luck to you too!

Hey Mailbuddy, thanks!!!!

I don't have that much info about UIC of Uof C I love NW very good, but I ended up turning down a job their because I wanted more hands on experience after graduation...and as you know, the MS and PGs do all of the exams and such so that they can learn, not a good place for an RN if you want to learn ALL the hands on, and get some autonomy...I am thinking of re-applying soon though, now that I have some experience under my belt...I thought of a few other programs like Illinois Masonic and Lutheran General (Park Ridge). I don't know much of IL Mas but I have worked with a few Lutheran docs who are very good....soo might be an option if you want more of an upper class suburban experience. Cook Co aka J. Stroger is also a good place...lots of high risk over there, I think they have a relationship w/ MWCOM. A friend of mine did his residency their and said it was a very good experience esp if you like working witht the underserved communities. There are many Chicago residencies...might want to check out ACOG or Tomorrows doctors sites, I think they have more info. When do you need to have your match apps in????

The UIC program at present is malignant but making changes for the better from what it sounds like.
My fiance is at Rush as a second year and like all in ob/gyn working very hard, but really likes her program and the people in it. She is seeing a lot and doing even more. Good luck with your interviews.