Best Osteopathic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliBoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the best osteopathic schools are. Not opinion, but does anyone know the facts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what the best osteopathic schools are. Not opinion, but does anyone know the facts? Thanks.

I heard Harvard is top notch...wait...

How do you not give opinion when someone is asking for your...well, opinion? Even the rankings are opinion. Sure, they are backed up by this and that but, in the end, someone decided, "hey, I like this school better than that school..."

I smell some heated debates

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard Harvard is top notch...wait...

How do you not give opinion when someone is asking for your...well, opinion? Even the rankings are opinion. Sure, they are backed up by this and that but, in the end, someone decided, "hey, I like this school better than that school..."

Yes, Harvard is indeed the best.

Yes, Harvard is indeed the best.

Such lies. i can name 25 schools which give you a better osteopathic education than Harvard!

actually harvard has OMM courses....however it doesnt grant you the coveted DO degree ;)

The facts are clear in this case. A study in the most recent DAMM Journal concludes that, "the South Hampton Institute of Technology's osteopathic medical program is unequal in all aspects. Their 124% pass rate on the boards and 186% satisfaction rate of recent graduates is unparalleled in recent history. Their new and innovative techniques, such as the use of snake skin grafting in burn patiens and 80 proof alcohol enemas for neonates, have revolutionized osteopathic medicine. One must not forget that the last 42 nobel prize winners in medicine are all graduates of the South Hampton Institute of Technology as well. Added to the free tuition and $60,000 yearly stipend for living expenses makes it the most affordable value in osteopathic medicne today."

I don't know about you, but the DAMM Journal is good enough for me!

If I hear the answer, "whichever one you get into" Ill likely put my hand through this screen in the attempt to knock the **** out of whomever said it.

If I hear the answer, "whichever one you get into" Ill likely put my hand through this screen in the attempt to knock the **** out of whomever said it.

"whichever one you get into" :D

:oops: Sorry I couldn't help myself, I'm on rotations and haven't slept much

Um, I will just give my honest opinion among three schools I interviewed at so far.

DMU > Western U > LECOM - Erie

hahah, I was thinking the exact same thing!! :laugh:

HAHA, come on!! How else are people going to go to a school they hate and later write threads about not going to that school because it didn't get them that top surgery spot that is only given to the top 5% of the nation?!

Members don't see this ad :)
You know I hear very little talk amoung physicians, nurses patients that goes along the lines of "Dr. So and So is the best physician because he or she went the such and such medical school." Amazingly I don't think the school has much to do with what kind of physician "you chose" to become. I would work on finding the school that is best for you and your learning styles. Find one that will let "you" become the best physician you can be and stop putting the job on them for getting you a good medical educaiton. In order to make you a doctor they have to meet the right requirments to get you there, you have to be the one to take yourself above and beyond there.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again:
Go on your interviews and decide for yourself.
Someone's dream school could be your nightmare. Go on your interviews without any preconceived notions regarding rankings and judge them based on your own criteria for the "best" school and you will find a school that is best for you.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again:
Go on your interviews and decide for yourself.
Someone's dream school could be your nightmare. Go on your interviews without any preconceived notions regarding rankings and judge them based on your own criteria for the "best" school and you will find a school that is best for you.

While I've been preaching this philosophy, I feel that it is dangerous.

It reminds me of freshman year living in the dorms of East Halls (the "ghetto" or "projects" of PSU). When the parents came to visit on a parent's weekend, the food was all carefully prepared, everything was spotless, the people were all nice, etc etc etc.

When the parents (read: MS prospectives) left things went back to normal.

Isn't it a distinct possibility that med schools aren't as nice as their PR cheerleaders make them out to be... in particular, for lower tier schools (sorry, i will prob go to a "lower tier" school so don't shoot me).

I am really asking...maybe this ^^^ has very little effect. You can't fake good cadaver labs or fudge numbers such as MS/cadaver or build a facade for a high-tech micro lab etc. etc. etc.

Comments, please!:confused:

While I've been preaching this philosophy, I feel that it is dangerous.

It reminds me of freshman year living in the dorms of East Halls (the "ghetto" or "projects" of PSU). When the parents came to visit on a parent's weekend, the food was all carefully prepared, everything was spotless, the people were all nice, etc etc etc.

When the parents (read: MS prospectives) left things went back to normal.

Isn't it a distinct possibility that med schools aren't as nice as their PR cheerleaders make them out to be... in particular, for lower tier schools (sorry, i will prob go to a "lower tier" school so don't shoot me).

I am really asking...maybe this ^^^ has very little effect. You can't fake good cadaver labs or fudge numbers such as MS/cadaver or build a facade for a high-tech micro lab etc. etc. etc.

Comments, please!:confused:

I totally agree with your parents weekend/interview day analogy. However, like you said, you can't fake great facilities or great numbers. On top of that, it is hard to get a feel for the educational aspects because every professor/student says their OMM program is the best and their teaching style is the best. These sort of things you just have to pick through the info you're given and decide what's best for you. It may just come down to your "gut feeling."

Ahhh just get into an osteo school and become a doc. thats the best one to me..... :laugh: :laugh:

Not for nothing but your question is asking an opinion, so how can anyone provide you facts? It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to specialize, I recommend PCOM, but if you want primary care it is probably WVSOM. I am basing my answer on the following site (see for yourself):

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_primarycare_brief.php

The fact remains: Idaho School of Osteopathic Osteopathy is the best.

With all the new schools popping up every year I see a clear distinction between the older DO schools and the new crop of schools.

Personally I would rank an older established school over a new, unproven school any day. At least wait until they take boards and graduate a class.

Schools with solid reputations are always a plus.

School which are not in the new for negative happenings is good.

If I had to pick 5 DO schools that I would send my kids to...

PCOM
CCOM
Kansas City (whatever the name is now)
OSUCOM
Michigan State

Wow...just wow. You could've typed in the phrase "$%A&*(Dfsdlfkj&((88998" in the search engine, and it's very likely that at least of the 100s of these previous threads would've popped up even still.

In a world where Google reigns supreme, it never ceases to amaze that people are unable to search for things on their own. Kind of disheartening really.

And yes, I'm being a d1ck, but seriously, this is getting out of hand.

Going by US News 2007
The 4 DO schools to make the top 50 in primary care were:
4. MSU-COM
28. TCOM
45. OSU-COM
50. WVSOM

So I guess you have the top 4 DO schools right there.

These threads are always so entertaining. I especially enjoy the logic "these schools are mentioned in US news in some abstract list so they must be the best" and the always popular ""my top 5 even though I secretly only have attended one of them but like the name of the others". Long live the "ranking DO school" threads.

US News is crap though, this we all know. Although those are pretty good schools though. I'd agree with JPHazelton and maybe add TCOM and DMU in the mix but I don't know much about those two schools just know they are good. I would add UMDNJ at the bottom of that list. Oh and Princeton too ;)

Rankings = nothing that will figure out what you need to know.

Go to the school that suits YOUR needs.

Ooooh okay I want to make a list too. This is a shout out to those just as good but never mentioned schools on these absurd threads.

1) VCOM - because new schools need love too
2) KCOM - because AT Still needs a shrine
3) COMP - because without California little mds would never have existed
4) TUCOM-NV - Vegas baby
5) PCOM-GA - because every time a PCOM student blows up his school he mentions how old is better and this school is irony

Honorable Mention - LMU-DCOM - because I had no clue it existed until just now

It would be wrong to think that most people think the US News rankings are total crap, regardless of how random it may seem. Top 50 schools get respect, the closer to #1 the better. It's kind of like the top 25 in college football, maybe USC should be #1 and maybe they really are #3. It may be "abstract" to a point, but no one would argue the assertion USC is better than Stanford or Duke. On the same token, who in here really believes MSU-COM is less deserving of #4 than say, pikeville? There is no way to rank schools perfectly, so US News is like our Associated Press. I'm happy there's some DO schools out there getting respect whether they really are #4, #28... or not.

It would be wrong to think that most people think the US News rankings are total crap, regardless of how random it may seem. Top 50 schools get respect, the closer to #1 the better. It's kind of like the top 25 in college football, maybe USC should be #1 and maybe they really are #3. It may be "abstract" to a point, but no one would argue the assertion USC is better than Stanford or Duke. On the same token, who in here really believes MSU-COM is less deserving of #4 than say, pikeville? There is no way to rank schools perfectly, so US News is like our Associated Press. I'm happy there's some DO schools out there getting respect whether they really are #4, #28... or not.

I think the problem people have with those rankings is that they don't rank them according to the characteristics that you value. So a school is #10 in Primary Care?? If a person has no interest in primary care, then that school is actually at the bottom of his/her list.

Moral of the story (Same DAMN moral of the story in every single one of these threads): Go to the school that fits YOUR (not Tom or Peggy) needs.

I think the problem people have with those rankings is that they don't rank them according to the characteristics that you value. So a school is #10 in Primary Care?? If a person has no interest in primary care, then that school is actually at the bottom of his/her list.

Moral of the story (Same DAMN moral of the story in every single one of these threads): Go to the school that fits YOUR (not Tom or Peggy) needs.

Medical schools teach the basics of primary care, whether your plan is primary care or not. Post-graduate training programs all stem from and require the knowledge of primary care. Therefore, the learning of primary care is applicable to all.

Reading ridiculous threads like this kill me. I simultaneously cannot stop myself from reading every reply, while at the same time I want to punch everyone in the face for posting. (no offense personally, that's just my reaction to posts like this):D :smuggrin:

Also, Nate, you need to post more stuff. lol

1000. LECOM-Erie

Hah, I do not think I am going to disagree here. Talk about a school that has absolutely no personality at all. The interview and the interviewers were just indicative of this overall "feeling" the school gives off.

Hah, I do not think I am going to disagree here. Talk about a school that has absolutely no personality at all. The interview and the interviewers were just indicative of this overall "feeling" the school gives off.

Aww LECOM never gets any love. Scpod where are you?

I must agree with Nate on this one, people love to throw around lists that contain, *gasp*, their own school! And who the hell can believe USNEWS? I don't know how everyone else feels, but I need to actually go out and see the school to make sure it lives up to the hype. I wouldn't go out and buy a car just because consumer report told me it was the best without first test driving it myself. In then: make your own list and then quickly post it on here so we can all tell you that you are full of shiznit.

Medical schools teach the basics of primary care, whether your plan is primary care or not. Post-graduate training programs all stem from and require the knowledge of primary care. Therefore, the learning of primary care is applicable to all.

But the major contributing factor for why these schools made it on those rankings is because of the shear number of primary care physicians they push out. How does that indicate better training than any other school??

Aww LECOM never gets any love. Scpod where are you?

Don't forget that I'm in Bradenton. We have lot's of personality. And, we have girls in bikinis in November!!! They might have the same first name, but there are quite a lot of differences between the two Lecoms:eek: ...or has the "sub-zero" temperature in DesMoines really gotten to you :laugh:

OK...we're in a bit of a cold spell now, since the high will only be 78 degrees on Sunday, but we'll be back to 86 by Tuesday.

The point you made, though, is the best one. You need to "test drive" your school to see if you really are comfortable in the driver's seat. You are ultimately responsible for your own education...no if's, and's or but's.

But the major contributing factor for why these schools made it on those rankings is because of the shear number of primary care physicians they push out. How does that indicate better training than any other school??

If it was simply based on percentage pushed into primary care you'd have a lot more DO schools making the cut. You'd probably see Ponce up there too.

Whether the rankings are a true representation of the actual best schools in order doesn't matter. If your school gets recognized year after year, there's a reason and people take note. Most people asked would tell you Harvard or Hopkins is a top program in the country. Why? because this "abstract" ranking tells us year after year this is the case.

Ranking doesn't mean everything, but to say it has no value is just as ignorant. You know whether you go to a top 50 DO school or not, people here are proud when a DO school is ranked up there with the best of them. It's good for the profession. People notice.

What is the best undergraduate, graduate, and business schools? US NEWS rotates their rankings constantly.

Wikipedia IVY LEAGUE

Harvard has the biggest endowment to spend on poor kids..
but Princeton has the most per student..

Which is better?

Don't forget that I'm in Bradenton. We have lot's of personality. And, we have girls in bikinis in November!!! They might have the same first name, but there are quite a lot of differences between the two Lecoms:eek: ...or has the "sub-zero" temperature in DesMoines really gotten to you :laugh:

OK...we're in a bit of a cold spell now, since the high will only be 78 degrees on Sunday, but we'll be back to 86 by Tuesday.

The point you made, though, is the best one. You need to "test drive" your school to see if you really are comfortable in the driver's seat. You are ultimately responsible for your own education...no if's, and's or but's.

Its a crisp 40 odd degrees here and we still got babes in bikins! At least, this is what I dream of...

If it was simply based on percentage pushed into primary care you'd have a lot more DO schools making the cut. You'd probably see Ponce up there too.

Whether the rankings are a true representation of the actual best schools in order doesn't matter. If your school gets recognized year after year, there's a reason and people take note. Most people asked would tell you Harvard or Hopkins is a top program in the country. Why? because this "abstract" ranking tells us year after year this is the case.

Ranking doesn't mean everything, but to say it has no value is just as ignorant. You know whether you go to a top 50 DO school or not, people here are proud when a DO school is ranked up there with the best of them. It's good for the profession. People notice.

So you are saying that people believe that Harvard is a top-notch program because of some ranking system and not its prestige of being one of the oldest schools in the nation? I think I may have to disagree with you here. The number of Noble Prize winners and just purely famous people who graduated from Harvard, I think, is what makes the school stick in a person's mind. The ranking could go to **** and people would still use a Harvard graduate as a reference in a movie for a very intelligent person.

So you are saying that people believe that Harvard is a top-notch program because of some ranking system and not its prestige of being one of the oldest schools in the nation? I think I may have to disagree with you here. The number of Noble Prize winners and just purely famous people who graduated from Harvard, I think, is what makes the school stick in a person's mind. The ranking could go to **** and people would still use a Harvard graduate as a reference in a movie for a very intelligent person.

I doubt most people have any idea what school Nobel Prize winners worked for or know many famous Harvard grads. The only reason people care if someone is a Harvard grad is for long standing reputation. If it was a matter of just being the oldest then Michigan State would have to step aside for old AT Still University. Reputation plays a role in this world we live in. It just so happens that sometimes reputations really have merit when they withstand the test of time.

When JPHazelton gave his list, he put MSU-COM and OSU-COM in with it and I would doubt he and many out-of-staters have ever even been to these schools. The others he probably visited and had 1st hand experience. Why then would MSU and OSU make his list if US News has no influence?

I agree with everyone who has said choose the school that meets your needs, regardless of a ranking. My guess is that reputation is important to the OP as it is to a lot of students. If you and all the others posting are above that you're better than the rest of us, apathetic, or lying.

I think you're misinterpreting my post. I, personally, am not saying that the Rankings are completely useless. I'm also NOT saying that those schools made the primary care list ONLY because they push out a very, very large percentage of primary care docs. I said that it was a major contributing factor. Do you honestly believe that a school that only sends 35% of its students into primary care positions would make that list, even if they provide superb primary care training?? Of course not. I don't know the exact criteria that they use to rank the primary care schools, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that percentage of students that go into primary care positions is high on the list.

The rankings have some merit and can be helpful to some people. If you think that every other school (especially DO) doesn't heavily train you in the primary care skills, then I believe you are mistaken.

I just ask that you don't put words in my mouth and misconstrue what I'm really trying to say here. All of those schools are fantastic schools, I just don't think the rankings imply that they are the best schools for everyone.

I think you're misinterpreting my post. I, personally, am not saying that the Rankings are completely useless. I'm also NOT saying that those schools made the primary care list ONLY because they push out a very, very large percentage of primary care docs. I said that it was a major contributing factor. Do you honestly believe that a school that only sends 35% of its students into primary care positions would make that list, even if they provide superb primary care training?? Of course not. I don't know the exact criteria that they use to rank the primary care schools, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that percentage of students that go into primary care positions is high on the list.

The rankings have some merit and can be helpful to some people. If you think that every other school (especially DO) doesn't heavily train you in the primary care skills, then I believe you are mistaken.

I just ask that you don't put words in my mouth and misconstrue what I'm really trying to say here. All of those schools are fantastic schools, I just don't think the rankings imply that they are the best schools for everyone.

I agree the rankings aren't the all encompassing indication of what school is best for everyone. I have no personal experience with MSU-COM and wouldn't apply there anyway because of the 50K out-of-state tuition. I was responding to the OP request in the least opinionated way I could. For me to randomly pick five schools would mean nothing. US News rankings shouldn't mean everything either. US News' rankings does however hold a lot more weight in the medical community than JPHazelton, me, or anyone else logging on making their list of top DO schools based on the 5 they happened to get an interview at.

As for other DO schools training primary care skills, of course I know they do. All schools do. DO schools all have high percentages going into primary care so that makes your assertion of pushing primary care neglible. It is the other criteria that somehow sets MSU and the like above the rest.

The best school is the one that grants you admissions, problem solved!

The best school is the one that grants you admissions, problem solved!

Correction, the one that grants you admission and has the hottest classmates. I smell another DOs are hotter than MDs oooo yeah.

DO schools all have high percentages going into primary care so that makes your assertion of pushing primary care neglible.

Not true

Some DO schools have percentages of graduates pursuing primary care in the 30s.

Not true

Some DO schools have percentages of graduates pursuing primary care in the 30s.

Which one's? Perhaps a better word would have been most. Doesn't change much.

I've said what I think and anyone can disagree with it, but it has yet to be disputed by anything other than personal opinion which isn't what the OP was looking for. Anyhoo...