Best Osteopathic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry if i'm new here and i'm not as smart as many of you. i didn't find the thread and that was the truth. i was just asking.

I agree.. some of the people on here are just grouches...

They'd prob spend less time answering the question than it took to write the flame.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this has been clarified in the forum yet but, I think that USnews article was referring to MSU College of Human Medicine, an allopathic school. MSU is one of few schools in the country with both allopathic and osteopathic schools

My point about making up your own mind was just to keep an open one. Many people have opinions that may (falsely) raise some expectations regarding some schools. Go where you are comfortable, not where everyone says "THIS one is the best". It may not be for you. But when people come on asking "what are the BEST schools", that comes across as being hung up on a name, not where you fit best and has what is best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this has been clarified in the forum yet but, I think that USnews article was referring to MSU College of Human Medicine, an allopathic school. MSU is one of few schools in the country with both allopathic and osteopathic schools

I'm not sure what you're referring to in the article, but the Osteo branch is ranked 7th and the allo is also top 20 (for whatever stock you put into the rankings). I've always wondered how they differentiate the two schools as there must be a good amount of overlap.

Last edited:
which schools are known to have the highest reputation and are the best overall? They all seem very similar to me.

Seriously? Someone JUST posted this SAME question like two days ago. They were told to do a search just like every other person who asks this question every other week.

It's for reasons like this I think we should make a test of how to use the search function part of the membership requirements.:thumbup:

I don't know how many time I have to answer this question, but the answer is always the same......DMU.....hands down, the best.

You can't even take the time to capitalize your title or sentence... I won't take the time to write an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
which schools are known to have the highest reputation and are the best overall? They all seem very similar to me.

I must have some learning disability that I am unaware of because I just can't seem to understand this question.

The facts are clear in this case. A study in the most recent DAMM Journal concludes that, "the South Hampton Institute of Technology's osteopathic medical program is unequal in all aspects. Their 124% pass rate on the boards and 186% satisfaction rate of recent graduates is unparalleled in recent history. Their new and innovative techniques, such as the use of snake skin grafting in burn patiens and 80 proof alcohol enemas for neonates, have revolutionized osteopathic medicine. One must not forget that the last 42 nobel prize winners in medicine are all graduates of the South Hampton Institute of Technology as well. Added to the free tuition and $60,000 yearly stipend for living expenses makes it the most affordable value in osteopathic medicne today."

I don't know about you, but the DAMM Journal is good enough for me!

S.H.I.T. ??:rolleyes:

TCOM has ranked #1 for COMLEX first time pass rates for several years with 99-100% every year. just FYI

ok, fact: touro-nv is in las vegas. Trust me, after you are done, or even get in, you will evaluated medical schools completely differently than you do now. Especially after getting a top notch education, and feeling like you are all the doctor that you were meant to be, do you think I would go anywhere else? Hell no. I would put any hard working Touro student up against any hard working whatever student any day. I know there were absolute superstars in my class. Just ask the 80 yo average joe what he wishes he would have done with his life, or watch the movie 21, especially the part at the end where he is getting interviewed and he asks his interviewie whether or not he "jumped off the page". Sure you probably won't "break" Vegas. But it sure as hell beats the opportunity to "break" Kirksville (sorry, no offense to Kirksville).

UNE is ranked #3 in first-time pass rate for step 1 for class of 2010 - and everyone in the class is mandated to take (and pass) step 1 before they can proceed to third year. No student is held back from taking step 1 once they have passed second year. Data is not available yet for class of 2011.

Beware of pass rates - some schools don't let people take boards if they don't feel they're ready, thus falsely inflating their first time pass rates.

The best school, no questions asked, is the Hollywood Upstairs College of Osteopathic Medicine. ;)

“Lazarus, come forth!”
And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with grave clothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth.

Hahahahahahaha. I don't know how many other people will get that, but hilarious.

ok, fact: touro-nv is in las vegas. Trust me, after you are done, or even get in, you will evaluated medical schools completely differently than you do now. Especially after getting a top notch education, and feeling like you are all the doctor that you were meant to be, do you think I would go anywhere else? Hell no. I would put any hard working Touro student up against any hard working whatever student any day. I know there were absolute superstars in my class. Just ask the 80 yo average joe what he wishes he would have done with his life, or watch the movie 21, especially the part at the end where he is getting interviewed and he asks his interviewie whether or not he "jumped off the page". Sure you probably won't "break" Vegas. But it sure as hell beats the opportunity to "break" Kirksville (sorry, no offense to Kirksville).

haha what exactly are you trying to say? are you for or against touro-nv?
this post is hard to understand.

Anyone know what the best osteopathic schools are. Not opinion, but does anyone know the facts? Thanks.

PCOM in Philly and TCOM in Texas are usually the most highly regarded.

PCOM in Philly and TCOM in Texas are usually the most highly regarded.

I think any of the really old ones: PCOM, KCOM, CCOM are probably the most regarded. TCOM is a great school, but it's essentially a state school that is only available to TX residents.

I think any of the really old ones: PCOM, KCOM, CCOM are probably the most regarded. TCOM is a great school, but it's essentially a state school that is only available to TX residents.

Sweet! You said my school. Now I can go there.

No offense to Jagger at all, he is a legend here and I am sure he shares my feelings about these threads.

Seriously though, the thread is way old, and quoting people from a few months back will do very little. Go wherever you are accepted.

Sweet! You said my school. Now I can go there.

No offense to Jagger at all, he is a legend here and I am sure he shares my feelings about these threads.

Seriously though, the thread is way old, and quoting people from a few months back will do very little. Go wherever you are accepted.

Definitely share you feelings about these threads ... definitely.

I agree with these guys. CCOM is probably the best though. -

I really only care about going to the school that's going to prepare me the best to be a superstar on rotations and in residency. That's all I care about really.:D

I'm still on the fence about Touro-NV though.:confused:

Which schools do I have the best chance solely on the fact that I am a California Resident?

TCOM is a great school, but it's essentially a state school that is only available to TX residents.

True. Its funny that TCOM gets overlooked in all the Osteopathic school convo. It's understandable though, I mean only 15% end up in AOA residency and they only take 10% OOS.

You know I hear very little talk amoung physicians, nurses patients that goes along the lines of "Dr. So and So is the best physician because he or she went the such and such medical school." Amazingly I don't think the school has much to do with what kind of physician "you chose" to become. I would work on finding the school that is best for you and your learning styles. Find one that will let "you" become the best physician you can be and stop putting the job on them for getting you a good medical educaiton. In order to make you a doctor they have to meet the right requirments to get you there, you have to be the one to take yourself above and beyond there.

:thumbup:

So true. I don't care which med school a doctor went to. I have worked with awesome docs who were carib grads and a few that were ivy league grads who were awful. It's not like the residents have NYCOM or harvard medical school on their ID, They will both say MD or DO, and both will function in the same role.

Hey guys,

I haven't heard much about OUCOM on this thread. Is it a decent school?

True. Its funny that TCOM gets overlooked in all the Osteopathic school convo. It's understandable though, I mean only 15% end up in AOA residency and they only take 10% OOS.

It costs like 15k a year for IS too and has some of the best resources (not to mention that if the budget gets fixed and it does open a parallel MD program, it will have even more).

Yea it seems like a great school on paper, which is why I was confused OUCOM was not mentioned. I had no idea about the 5 year contract until just recently!

It costs like 15k a year for IS too and has some of the best resources (not to mention that if the budget gets fixed and it does open a parallel MD program, it will have even more).

Are you a student there?>

The best school is one in Florida. Between those, it's the one with the highest number of girls in bikinis. That's a FACT!!! :D

So a Caribbean MD school is actually, in fact, the best DO School. Lot of arguments ended right here.

The statement was "between schools in florida"

Unless you want to classify FL as being in the Caribbean....which is technically correct if you're in south florida.

Seems like medical school may not be as much work as I hear, seeing that people have time to post derogatory, unproductive statements that only waste their time and that of people who are actually looking for an answer to these questions. The whole point of a forum like this is to consolidate information so that people can easily find it when they hit the 'search' button like so many of you insist upon. Instead, they find themselves scrolling through pages and pages of nonsense until they find the one post that is helpful.

I have worked as an engineer in industry for a few years now, and usually people work together and bring what they have to the table rather than wasting time belittling each other. Maybe once some of you gain a little professional experience, you will realize that it makes sense to ask questions so that each person does not do the same work over and over again - and that then progress can be made.

My simple advice to those of you that impulsively post useless remarks - if the questions bother you that much, don't waste your time reading them! Invest that time somewhere else, like working out, sleeping, or watching a movie.