Best out of State "Reach" Schools? 3.8cGPA 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Currently applying and trying to create a list of out of state "reach" schools to apply for. I've bought MSAR and am going through that but am curious as to what the SDN community thinks of my stats and where I might have a good shot.

Michigan resident, applied for all in-state schools but am curious about where I might have a shot out of state.

cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 511, 127 C/P, 131 CARS, 127 Bio/Biochem, 126 Psych/Soc
About 2000 hours of non-clinical volunteering, including some interesting experiences like teaching english in rural China for a summer
About 1500 hours research including projects in cancer metastasis and societal stereotypes in Chinese and Mexican culture which was presented at an International Conference with the United Nations.
300 clinical volunteer hours
100 physician shadowing hours in several areas
Letters of rec from 3 professors that I've had as teachers and research mentors, clinical supervisor from hospital, and 2 physicians in family medicine and orthopedic surgery.

Let me know if any more information might be needed that I'm forgetting. Out of state currently I'm hoping to apply to Albert Einstein, University of Florida, University of Vermont, Dartmouth.

Thanks for any insight in list making! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

Currently applying and trying to create a list of out of state "reach" schools to apply for. I've bought MSAR and am going through that but am curious as to what the SDN community thinks of my stats and where I might have a good shot.

Michigan resident, applied for all in-state schools but am curious about where I might have a shot out of state.

About 2000 hours of non-clinical volunteering, including some interesting experiences like teaching english in rural China for a summer
About 1500 hours research including projects in cancer metastasis and societal stereotypes in Chinese and Mexican culture which was presented at an International Conference with the United Nations.
Letters of rec from 3 professors that I've had as teachers and research mentors, clinical supervisor from hospital, and 2 physicians in family medicine and orthopedic surgery.

Let me know if any more information might be needed that I'm forgetting. Out of state currently I'm hoping to apply to Albert Einstein, University of Florida, University of Vermont, Dartmouth.

Have you used the Wedgedawg applicant rating system to create a preliminary list?

Unless you have ties to Florida or unless you're dying to spend med school there, I wouldn't spend your "reach" money on the University of Florida, simply because it's a public school that doesn't accept too many OOS people each year.

Einstein, Dartmouth, and UVM are better choices. If you want Florida, you could consider UMiami. As a Michigan resident, it might also help you to apply to many of the Ohio schools, so you could also consider Ohio St. and possible Case Western (a bigger reach). Other "reaches" to consider might be BU, Tufts, or Emory.

I had similar-ish stats to you and ECs that were on par with yours (in that I had unique experiences with a lot of hours, like you) so you can check out my MDapps to see where I had success. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Save you money on reaches; they don't need to donations, and take your parents to dinner instead.

Here is my suggested list:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory (maybe)
USC/Keck (maybe)
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state school(s).
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program

Hey all!

Save you money on reaches; they don't need to donations, and take your parents to dinner instead.

Here is my suggested list:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein (maybe)
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory (maybe)
USC/Keck (maybe)
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state school(s).
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program

Thanks for the input! What do you think about Penn State also?