About the ads

Best Pharm Aid for Step and Course? Lippincott's vs Katzung vs Lange flashcards?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by lilPhysician, Jul 11, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. lilPhysician

lilPhysician

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Need to find one source for pharmacology. If I buy two sources, I end up ignoring one of them. Need it for doing well in the course but also one that's money for Step I. Thanks. :D
  2. KSDeacon

KSDeacon Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I used Pharm Cards, can't remember exactly who males them but they are in an orangeish box. Was very useful for both my pharm block and for step prep. Additionally I used the orange Rapid Review pharm book, but mainly bc the guy who wrote it, Pazerdnik was the guy who taught my class.
  3. KSDeacon

KSDeacon Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  4. IandIatrogenic

IandIatrogenic

Medical Student
    None of the above.

I used Raymon and got 8 questions wrong...my entire second semester of pharm.
  5. ArcGurren

ArcGurren only one will survive

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    THIS. In retrospect using him and annotating FA along with what he said was more than enough to cover Step 1 pharm for me. I bought the Lange cards and stopped using them after about a week.
  6. BlondDoctor

BlondDoctor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree that for mechanisms he was really great, but there are so many names!! I feel like I'll know what they do if I know what it is after watching his videos, but I bought the Brenner cards just to drill in the names.
  7. DoctorV

DoctorV

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does anybody have an online link to watch Dr. Raymond's lectures?

Thanks
  8. ArcGurren

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There's some good rules for many of the names but yeah you have to do a lot of memorization of some of the tougher ones (especially neuro drugs, e.g. lamotrigine, baclofen, phenelzine, etc - the root doesn't help much).

Focus on MOA and notable side effects and you should be fine. Also know rough indications for these drugs if needed (I didn't have any such questions, but it's def possible to get them).
  9. kaleerkalut

kaleerkalut

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've been annotating the Kaplan videos into the Kaplan Lecture Notes as I go along. Would you recommend annotating the videos into FA instead? TIA :)
  10. ArcGurren

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's what I did, and it worked out pretty fine. (then again I'll find out if anything worked out fine in a few hours ;) )
  11. MKMD86

MKMD86

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I bought Lange and then tossed it to the side the next day. Used Rayman as other have said and it was much better. I annotated directly into FA, which follows the order of the videos pretty well. My First Aid is unbound and hole punched so I pulled all the pharm sections out and made it a seperate book to go through it quicker.
  12. Gullain Barre

Gullain Barre

Medical Student
    For Step 1, I found that the drugs in First Aid and the ones you run across in USMLEWorld are more than sufficient.

As always the best way to prepare for pharmacology on Step 1 is to learn all the stuff they teach you during MS2. So to answer the question, I suggest PharmCards if you like repetition. If you don't, I suggest getting the Lange pharmacology book.

YMMV.
  13. Bane

Bane

Wow, lots of people found Lange cards to be pretty bad, huh? Any opinions since then?
  14. Boardz

Boardz

first aid and uworld are 100% sufficient for what you'll see on your step 1. anything else, and you're overstudying + the opportunity cost of not learning other stuff that you should know that's popping up left and right on your step 1 exam will upset you afterwards.
  15. Bane

Bane

Thx