Best places to find research assistant job postings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psipi140

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been, and am, looking for a research assistant or coordinator position in psychology for the past 6-7 months. I've been looping through national databases and a few local ones but haven't had much luck. Are there any websites besides the usual databases where I could find research job postings?

Best,

Psi.Pi.140

Members don't see this ad.

Not aware of any databases per se, but your best bet is checking for job postings on the websites of major universities/med centers. This is where most will be posted. Occasionally listserv postings will include positions for RAs if you are a member of any organizations. You can also always cold-email folks to ask if they have any coordinator positions available.

Really though, your best bet is word of mouth via folks you have done research with in the past. I'd wager the majority of coordinator positions either go to "internal" candidates (i.e. current unpaid RAs) or folks who are referred by a trusted colleague. This was true for all 3 of my positions and all but one of the 10+ coordinators I worked with in my graduate program.

Agreed with Ollie. Let all your relevant contacts know you're looking and start the cold-emailing. This is a tricky time of year to find something, but those with grant funding can have "off-season" openings sometimes (or need to replace an RA for some reason). Good luck!