Best Pre-Med Double Major?

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best Pre-Med double major combination for the new MCAT 2015? I would guess something like Biochemistry and Psychology would be great! What do you guys think, is it worth it getting a Double major? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just get a minor?

If I had to do it again in time for 2015, I would do Exercise Physiology major and Psychology minor. And of course premed.

Reactions: 1 user
The best pre-med major is the one that you can get a 4.0 in and have plenty of time for EC's. Do not set up your college career around attempting to learn everything you can for the Mcat or medical school, it will not be all that fruitful. The biggest correlate with success on the Mcat will be simply how much time you put into studying for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So a minor in Psychology would be ample enough to cover the new material that will be present on the Mcat 2015? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing a double major?

Why not just get a minor?

If I had to do it again in time for 2015, I would do Exercise Physiology major and Psychology minor. And of course premed.

Kines/ Exercise Phys is a good example of a relatively relaxed major ( At least at my school) that leads to both an inflated gpa and plenty of time for EC's. They also get to take a lot of lighter versions of biology courses ( Neural basis of movement, Muscle physiology, etc.) that count for BCPM and grant generally about 50% of the class A's at the very min. So it's a triple win.

So a minor in Psychology would be ample enough to cover the new material that will be present on the Mcat 2015? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing a double major?

As a psych major I'm going to tell you that two weeks of reading the new psych mcat books will probably be enough to prepare you for the psych section. If they decide to include abnormal psychology/ psychopathology questions then maybe it will be 3-4 weeks of studying.

Advantages: You get two specializations in fields you enjoy, which could be advantageous if you decide you don't want to be Premed.
Disadvantages: You take required courses that you probably don't want to, like research methods in psych or maybe an upper level social psych class you might find disinteresting.

Thanks! What other Major would you choose in addition to Medicinal Biochem if you were to do a double major? Im thinking Psychology, Business, or something like that.. Maybe biotech?!

I was a biology/chemistry double major and did an anthropology minor. don't do what i did; you'll want to off yourself. but definitely take some 300 level anthro classes

Thanks! What other Major would you choose in addition to Medicinal Biochem if you were to do a double major? Im thinking Psychology, Business, or something like that.. Maybe biotech?!

I'd get a double major in sleeping in....

What is the best Pre-Med double major combination for the new MCAT 2015? I would guess something like Biochemistry and Psychology would be great! What do you guys think, is it worth it getting a Double major? Thanks!

No, you shouldn't double major just for the sake of preparing for the new MCAT. As serenade said, you're better off using that extra time volunteering, doing research, obtaining leadership experience, obtaining clinical experience, etc.

I am guessing you are an incoming Freshman?

I highly doubt you will have time to have a second major in addition to biochem. Biochem the class itself is very time consuming, my friends don't even want to talk about the major. If you are deadset on the biochem major, you can always take specific courses for 2015. Gen Psych, Intro to Sociology, etc.

Remember that in addition to the biochem courses, the elective psych/soc courses, you also have premed courses. On top of that, you will be busy with getting clinical experience/volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, leadership experience, shadowing. And, of course, studying for classes. High school studying does not compare to college studying, expect to study more than usual.

Last edited:
Biochem/cardio- thoracicsurgery.....

sorry Im just bored today....:(

3-4 psych/sociology courses will be plenty to adequately prepare oneself for the new section, just choose wisely.

The same goes for the modified biological sciences section. Yes, a biochemistry course will be very helpful for the new MCAT, but a major in it? Come on, that's overkill! A major in Biochemistry will have you jumping through all sorts of unnecessary hoops like calc II-III, physical chemistry, biochemistry lab, adv. chem lab, analytical chemistry, etc.

I would choose a single major that you love and include the following:
Core:
General Biol I/II
General Chem I/II
Organic Chem I/II
General Physics I/II
Biochemistry I
Genetics or Cell or Molecular
Physiology
Cell or Molecular or Micro or Immunology or Virology or Histology
Intro to Statistics
Calculus I or Statistics II
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology
Choose 2-3:
Developmental Psychology
Biological Psychology or Neuroscience or Perception
Abnormal Psychology
Personality
Choose 1-2:
Bioethics
Dying/Death/Afterlife
Health Law/Politics
Medical Economics
Medical Anthropology
Infectious Disease
Epidemiology
These course will give you all the tools you need to nail the MCAT, and do will in medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3-4 psych/sociology courses will be plenty to adequately prepare oneself for the new section, just choose wisely.

The same goes for the modified biological sciences section. Yes, a biochemistry course will be very helpful for the new MCAT, but a major in it? Come on, that's overkill! A major in Biochemistry will have you jumping through all sorts of unnecessary hoops like calc II-III, physical chemistry, biochemistry lab, adv. chem lab, analytical chemistry, etc.

I would choose a single major that you love and include the following:
Core:
General Biol I/II
General Chem I/II
Organic Chem I/II
General Physics I/II
Biochemistry I
Genetics or Cell or Molecular
Physiology
Cell or Molecular or Micro or Immunology or Virology or Histology
Intro to Statistics
Calculus I or Statistics II
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology
Choose 2-3:
Developmental Psychology
Abnormal Psychology
Personality
Choose 1-2:
Bioethics
Dying/Death/Afterlife
Health Law/Politics
Medical Economics
Medical Anthropology
Infectious Disease
Epidemiology
These course will give you all the tools you need to nail the MCAT, and do will in medical school.

Thanks for the list! ^_^

Thanks for the info guys:) I am not completely sure if I want to double major so I was looking for some advantages and Disadvantages of doing it! I think that studying more of what will be on the MCAT will best lead to success and a lot of people don't approve of that but whatever..

Do not for the love of being sane double major in topics that you think will prepare you for the MCAT. Instead, major in those things that you are truly and ultimately passionate about. This should cover your plan B, in case medical school doesn't work out for you. The MCAT is a monster of an exam but that doesn't mean that you waste tens of thousands of dollars to prepare for it through trying to pick the best college major or double major to prepare for it.

Listen carefully you adorable little desi boy/girl:

Enjoy your remaining time in high school and make the most of your college experiences as you can. Major in something that genuinely interests you. Major in something that is practical. Major in something that will allow you to take the pre-reqs that you need on the side with no hassle.

A major won't help you do well on the MCAT. MCAT preparation is an individual effort. However, by the time you take the exam, it wouldn't hurt to take a few psychology/sociology classes. Enjoy your life my friend. Take it easy, take it slow, and smell the roses once in a while.

Get a major major in accounting or engineering (if you could pull off good grades in it) so you can get a decent job out of college if you don't get into med school on your first attempt.

Thanks for the info guys:) I am not completely sure if I want to double major so I was looking for some advantages and Disadvantages of doing it! I think that studying more of what will be on the MCAT will best lead to success and a lot of people don't approve of that but whatever..

You're just wrong. Listen to what is being said in this forum...it's really in your best interest. I don't even know why some people suggest taking genetics, cell bio, microbiology, biochem, etc. to prepare for the MCAT. It's completely unnecessary. The lower division science courses are more than sufficient to prepare you. Genetics and biochem are covered so superficially on the MCAT that it's a joke (in fact, the "genetics" and "biochem" you see on the MCAT comes from general biology). The only additional course that provides any benefit is physiology (and obviously psychology for the new test). And like everyone else said, 90% of your score just comes down to how long you're willing to sit down and grind out practice questions and tests.

Anyway, for the love of little baby jebus, do not double major. And besides the MCAT, if you think adcoms give two shi** about multiple majors, you're wrong. Just don't even consider it anymore. Take the advice that was given to you here and use that time for things that actually matter (research, volunteering, leadership experience, etc.).

Any of these work:
Biochemistry and Psych
Biology and Psych
Chemistry and Psych

The top one is probably the best option. It gives you a better feel for everything on the MCAT.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS. It screws you over. Medical schools, while they say, "you can get any major", mean to say; "you can get any major but we like some better than others". Business is generally considered one of the easier college majors and it will be weighted against you. Don't go for business unless you want to go to business school.

Any of these work:
Biochemistry and Psych
Biology and Psych
Chemistry and Psych

The top one is probably the best option. It gives you a better feel for everything on the MCAT.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS. It screws you over. Medical schools, while they say, "you can get any major", mean to say; "you can get any major but we like some better than others". Business is generally considered one of the easier college majors and it will be weighted against you. Don't go for business unless you want to go to business school.

Would you care to show us some evidence which expresses that business majors are not accepted as commonly and with the same scores as other majors? The AAMC has all of this data online btw.
Furthermore, christ the mcat will have a little bit of biochemistry on it, it will not have physical chemistry, nor analytical chemistry, and nor will it test calculus based physics. Doing a biochemistry major for the sake of being "prepared" for the mcat is going to be both a bothering and annoying activity. You'll obtain all of your relevant biochemistry from biochem 1 and your mcat prep books, and then learn all of the medically relevant stuff in your first year of medical school.

Would you care to show us some evidence which expresses that business majors are not accepted as commonly and with the same scores as other majors? The AAMC has all of this data online btw.
Furthermore, christ the mcat will have a little bit of biochemistry on it, it will not have physical chemistry, nor analytical chemistry, and nor will it test calculus based physics. Doing a biochemistry major for the sake of being "prepared" for the mcat is going to be both a bothering and annoying activity. You'll obtain all of your relevant biochemistry from biochem 1 and your mcat prep books, and then learn all of the medically relevant stuff in your first year of medical school.

Evidence? Hmmm, my father who is on both a premed committee and admissions staff for medical school. Business will screw you over. Admissions teams give preference to students who have scientific, or harder majors. Those who chose the "easy route" will not get in. I'm not saying that business majors aren't usually accepted, I'm just saying a 3.5 in chemistry is worth a whole lot more than a 3.5 in business. At least to admissions staff.

I want cited data. One adcom is an anecdote.

I don't have to cite sources. I'm not trying to prove anything. This person can go with my advice or get screwed over. Up to them. I'm trying to help. If you think that admissions teams weight a person with 3.5 business and a 3.5 chemistry equally, then you are dead wrong. I don't need you to believe me. Again, I'm not saying that they prefer science over non-science, but they do prefer the more prestigious majors. For instance, economics isn't very related to medicine, but they would weight someone with economics major over someone with a music major since it's statistically harder to get a good economics GPA. Other than statistical difficulty, admissions won't give a rats rear about your major. In that sense you are correct.

OP please don't listen to nysegop, if you look at their posts it is obvious that they don't know what they are talking about. Choose a major that you like, it will make taking the classes that much easier. It also gives you a career to fall back on if you decide medical school is not for you. Where I went to school we had some required sets of classes that we had to take including humanities and psych, those should help with the new MCAT. If you don't feel like they prepare you enough you can always take another class or two in the subject that you are feeling weak in.

Evidence? Hmmm, my father who is on both a premed committee and admissions staff for medical school. Business will screw you over. Admissions teams give preference to students who have scientific, or harder majors. Those who chose the "easy route" will not get in. I'm not saying that business majors aren't usually accepted, I'm just saying a 3.5 in chemistry is worth a whole lot more than a 3.5 in business. At least to admissions staff.
If your father is on an admissions comittee then why have you come in here and asked all of those simple questions...surely your father could explain it to you.

EDIT: I just realized that you said your father is on a pre-med comittee. Most of the premed advisors I've run into know very little about the admissions process. On the interview trail, I've run into people from a large number of majors, including English, Business, you name it. I for one was a Public Health major and was accepted at 10 schools.

Last edited:

You don't need to major/minor in certain things. Just take classes in the social sciences along with your prime major and you'll be fine.

Dance and bio. Just in case you run into some sort of Med School musical scenario.

Fine, dont' listen to me or my father. It's your life. Good luck :)

https://www.aamc.org/download/161692/data/table18.pdf

There is no difference really in rate of acceptance, average stats, etc between any major except health professional majors ( Which have a lower acceptance rate).

We're done here. I don't care what you or the OP does. It's your life. Not going to be my fault when he doesn't get into HMS after a business major and comes crying here asking why.

We're done here. I don't care what you or the OP does. It's your life. Not going to be my fault when he doesn't get into HMS after a business major and comes crying here asking why.

I don't think his being a business major will be the reason he doesn't get accepted to HMS though....
Anyway, as you were.

Developmental Psychology
Abnormal Psychology
Personality
Choose 1-2:
Bioethics
Dying/Death/Afterlife
Health Law/Politics
Medical Economics
Medical Anthropology
Infectious Disease
Epidemiology

wat

I wouldn't double major. It isn't beneficial to your application and you will have to spend more time getting all the courses in for both majors. ONLY (I mean ONLY) double major if you truly have a passion for both subjects. Don't do it for the sake of doing it (which it sounds like you are trying to do). Spend the extra time on extracurriculars (volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.)

I wouldn't double major. It isn't beneficial to your application and you will have to spend more time getting all the courses in for both majors. ONLY (I mean ONLY) double major if you truly have a passion for both subjects. Don't do it for the sake of doing it (which it sounds like you are trying to do). Spend the extra time on extracurriculars (volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.)

I agree. Medical schools weight someone with a 3.5 in two degrees equally to someone with a 3.5 in one degree. It is the most non-beneficial thing a premed student could do. But anyway, talk to your premed advisor when you get one. No one on here can tell you as much useful information as an actual premed advisor who has years of experience (hopefully).

Please don't do double major. Keeping up with one major is hard enough.

I am going to be a senior next fall and I am a double major in Chemistry and Spanish, and I've never regretted it for a second. The spanish major has opened up many extracurricular opportunities that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I also never had any problems fitting in coursework or ECs, and I was a transfer student, so that's saying something. If you want to do a double major, do it because you want to, not because you want to impress medical schools. They will be just as impressed with a science/non-science double major, it shows you have other interests and are well rounded. That's the sense I've gotten at least...

Triple major in Biomedical, Chemical, and Electrical Engineering. From what I hear Engineering Profs are really generous graders.

Is an example of an anecdotal lie.

Major in whatever you can sustain interest in for four(ish) years.

I agree with the posters who are saying do not double major in topics just because you think it will help on the MCAT or look good.

However, if you find two subjects that you are equally in love with learning about and cannot determine which to major in, then consider a double major or major/minor combo.

Double major? You are not doing it right. Why don't you get your Bachelors and Masters degrees simultaneously That is what I am doing.

Dear God....

Ok, to start you need to realize one extremely important thing, all this "diversity" talk you see on med school admissions pages doesn't strictly refer to ethnicity. It refers to academic/intellectual diversity as well! In fact, they're pretty big on that. This is why you can...wait for it...major in anything you want.

I was able to score in the 95th percentile on the mcat as an economics major with a minor in the classics with nothing but the prerequisites. And, to put that into perspective, that kind of performance alone would make me competitive at just about any medical school in the country if the only thing they looked at was the mcat. My point is this: Major in the oboe if that's where your passions lie, just work hard in your premed classes.

-cj8