Best Premed School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School Is Best for Premed?

• Notre Dame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Creighton

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Claremont McKenna

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Washington University (STL)

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into psychiatry (unlike most of you, I am still a long way away since I am just a senior in high school) and because of that I am wondering which premed program is best. I will be attending Creighton University next year on a half-ride but I am not sure that I will want to stay, especially since my dream school is Notre Dame. I am not sure if they are even decent with premed, so I was wondering if you could please tell me what you thought of the following schools in reference to how they will prepare me for medical school and how they will be viewed.

Creighton, Notre Dame, Washington University (STL), Claremont McKenna.

Thanks for your help, I truly need it!

Members don't see this ad.

You're not going to get a lot of replies for that poll, simply b/c there is no BEST premed school. You need to go where you will be happiest and are in an environment that is conducive to your style of studying and achieving. I know this sounds like the usual guidance counselor psychobabble but it's true. A place like Hopkins, for example (no offense, anyone) has a reputation for being an excellent school but someone who is more laid-back and doesn't want to be surrounded by hardcore gunners wouldn't be happy there. For some people, a smaller school such as Swarthmore or Case Western would be more ideal b/c it facilitates learning for the sake of learning, not for getting better numbers than the next guy. I hope this helps, good luck with your future plans.

I'm sure it really doesn't matter that much. But since your dream school is Notre Dame (Go Irish!)...I thought I would comment.

I'm a northern Indiana native and am currently in my fourth year of med school at Indiana Univ...there are tons of students here that were ND grads. Most had planned on going to medical school early in college and felt that ND prepared them very well. They have a very strong academic reputation...quality science facilities (if that's what you're going to major in)....and very good counseling. I cannot say that you would be any better or worse prepared for med school at ND than you would be at the other schools you mentioned. But I'm sure you'll be very prepared for applying to med school.

Good luck...