Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Best research path if interested in Neuro

Discussion in 'Neurosurgery' started by neuroethicist, 06.13.05.

1. neuroethicist

neuroethicist Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Curious if the residents on here have any insights on research paths if one is interested in neurosurg? I've been doing research for over a decade. Last two years working with fMRI and other neurotechnologies. Next year, as I start med school, I am questioning whether to continue research (part time and in the summer) using these technologies or whether it might be better to do research specific to neurosurg? Also, is it advantageous to have an advisor who is a neurosurg or one who is a researcher using neurotechnologies?
  2. N-Surge

N-Surge Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Physician PhD SDN 7+ Year Member
    My advice is to focus on your 4 yrs of med school and shoot for high USMLE scores.

If you do continue with research during med school then I would strongly suggest adapting what you already know to the field rather than letting someone else tell you what kind of research is specific to NS.
  3. Malftap

Malftap Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    This is what was I tell everyone interested in neurosurgery. Get involved earlier. Go to your school case conferences and get involved with the projects going on the in the department. Your research sounds interesting and you should continue it and possible adapt it into your own projects. Also get to know the residents and staff. Let them know you are interested in neurosurgery. They should be receptive to helping you out. Also, don't forgert you are going to med school to learn as much as possible. Do well in your classes and study your butt of for Step I. Good luck!!!
  4. neuroethicist

neuroethicist Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    :thumbup: Thanks for your responses :thumbup:
  5. Neuro Doctor

Neuro Doctor ACFAS Member

Pre-Medical
    Let me know how things go for you. I am also hope to go onto become a Neurosurgeon. I could use some advice.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal