Best resources for biochemistry, histology, genetics, and cell biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeschmo1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting classes soon and want to really learn everything extremely well the first time around.

I know that for anatomy/phys resources like Costanzo's Physiology are highly recommended, but what about for these subjects? (Histology, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the "prepare for Step I during the pre-clinical years" approach given my school's accelerated pre clinical curriculum

When else would you prepare for Step 1 besides the preclinical years??

Lippincott's Biochem for all things biochem.

http://www.amazon.com/Biochemistry-...10263&sr=1-1&keywords=lippincott+biochemistry

I liked BRS Cell Bio for cell bio and histo reinforcement. Use whatever school atlas and course materials your school suggests for histo. Ross Histology is a popular one.

The genetics in med school is extremely simple, especially if you've had upper level science experience in undergrad. The above book will take care of biochem and genetics in detail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the "prepare for Step I during the pre-clinical years" approach given my school's accelerated pre clinical curriculum

Most people prepare for Step 1 during the preclinical years. Don't know how this is different than any other med school.

Starting classes soon and want to really learn everything extremely well the first time around.

I know that for anatomy/phys resources like Costanzo's Physiology are highly recommended, but what about for these subjects? (Histology, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, etc.).

Cell Biology -- High Yield Cell and Molecular Biology
Histology -- High Yield Histology (or BRS Cell Biology and Histology)

Genetics -- High Yield Genetics (or BRS)

Biochemistry -- Lippincott's Biochemistry for the class

Thanks for the info guys!

What are the differences between High Yield and BRS?

Thanks for the info guys!

What are the differences between High Yield and BRS?
Have you seen the books? The High Yield books are meant to hit the high points, hence High Yield vs. the BRS books are longer.

I always wonder why BRS Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics never gets plugged in these threads: http://www.amazon.com/Biochemistry-Molecular-Biology-Genetics-Review/dp/1451175361
Probably bc it isn't used as much. I remember seeing the BRS version of Biochem as well but I thought for classes - Lippincott's Biochem helped tremendously in the class which can get pretty detailed. It's probably the most used review book for Biochem in general, at least for the class.