Best route: premed courses 50+% finished, good academic record, but graduated 5 yrs ago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question regarding post-bac /diy; I'm sure many people have been in this situation so I was wondering what the best course of action is.

I completed most of the science requirements (math, chem, ochem, and physics), all well within passing, as an undergrad. I did not take any biology. My science GPA and overall GPA are very slightly above the median of med-school matriculates. I never considered a career in medicine as in my late teenage / early twenties as my only concern was with making money and having fun, both of which were much easier in engineering. My priorities have changed as a result some volunteer experiences and greater exposure to the challenges of others in the world.

Most of my courses are from 8-9 years ago. Taking a look at post-bacc programs, they all seem to be designed for those who don't have a background in science. In fact they don't want you if you've completed most the requirements. Then taking a look at special masters, they require you in most cases to have completed all the courses, and are designed for improvement of GPA. It seems the formal programs out there are only interested in those who want to improve their record, or those who don't have one.

Can anyone recommend a program for those who have completed most the courses long ago but do not need record improvement? Is DIY the only option? Are there post-bacc programs that accept those who have completed most of the classes but need refreshment on organic chemistry and the tougher subjects? Is it realistic to gain entry to med school with over half your classes 10 years old, but with recent ECs, recent LORs, and a recent MCAT? Ideally I'd like to retake the science courses.

Members don't see this ad.

go through the websites of schools near you to see what they offer. not having to move is probably pretty important in this story, correct?

you can use goucher & bryn mawr as templates for what a "program" includes, but be the grownup about whether you actually need those things. in particular, don't get hung up on linkage.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools that I looked at when I was applying said that pre-reqs must be less than 10 years old, obviously you'll need to verify the schools you apply to. Since yours are 8-9 years old the concern is less validity and more of the knowledge level retained by you. Only you can answer that. And obviously the MCAT will test that.
Most formal post-baccs, as you've found out, are geared for non-science majors who are trying to knock out the standard pre-reqs. Since that's not you, probably not a good option.
My situation was slightly different than yours, but what I did was go to the local university and look for the pre-med adviser. I met with him and sorted out what I needed to do.
If that's not an option for some reason (like no pre-med adviser), here's what I would do:
-Go to a 4 year university and enroll there (you can do a community college, but a university is better if it's financially and geographically feasible).
-Take a full load of courses <-- this is important because you need to show that you can handle the rigor of a full load of science courses bc med school is like that but on steroids
-I would knock out the basic bio stuff. Some schools allow you to take both semesters of basic bio simultaneously, do it if you can.
-Take biochem.
-Take upper division courses in one of the pre-req fields (physics/gchem/etc.) <-- this is a better option than retaking the lower division courses unless you feel you wouldn't do well and need a refresher in the lower division courses.
-If you can, take anatomy and physiology. I think some schools have this as a pre-req now anyhow.

While you're there make nice with the professors and see which might be amenable to writing a letter. After you've built some rapport, ask them directly what it would take for them to write an outstanding LOR for you. Then, do what they say. Finally, ask many months in advance for that letter.

Most of all do well in these courses and work on your study habits (i.e. learn how to memorize a bunch of crap as quickly as possible) as this will help you in med school.

Lastly, and I wouldn't bank on this but it *may* be possible. If a few of your pre-reqs are "expired" but you've recently taken upper division courses in that area, some schools may waive the time limit, especially if you do well on the MCAT. I had this happen for one of my pre-reqs that I had taken 12 or so years prior. Again, don't bank on that, but ask if the situation applies to you when you apply.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You absolutely should retake/take some science classes. ADCOMs don't want to risk admitting a student that can't handle the curriculum and a 8-9 year gap would cause someone to question whether or not you still "got it." I would retake the classes that you feel most iffy about and take additional coursework like biochem, molecular bio, cellular bio, genetics, etc to show that you can achieve at a high level and to prepare for the MCAT.
A question regarding post-bac /diy; I'm sure many people have been in this situation so I was wondering what the best course of action is.

I completed most of the science requirements (math, chem, ochem, and physics), all well within passing, as an undergrad. I did not take any biology. My science GPA and overall GPA are very slightly above the median of med-school matriculates. I never considered a career in medicine as in my late teenage / early twenties as my only concern was with making money and having fun, both of which were much easier in engineering. My priorities have changed as a result some volunteer experiences and greater exposure to the challenges of others in the world.

Most of my courses are from 8-9 years ago. Taking a look at post-bacc programs, they all seem to be designed for those who don't have a background in science. In fact they don't want you if you've completed most the requirements. Then taking a look at special masters, they require you in most cases to have completed all the courses, and are designed for improvement of GPA. It seems the formal programs out there are only interested in those who want to improve their record, or those who don't have one.

Can anyone recommend a program for those who have completed most the courses long ago but do not need record improvement? Is DIY the only option? Are there post-bacc programs that accept those who have completed most of the classes but need refreshment on organic chemistry and the tougher subjects? Is it realistic to gain entry to med school with over half your classes 10 years old, but with recent ECs, recent LORs, and a recent MCAT? Ideally I'd like to retake the science courses.

I was 6 years out of undergrad when I applied, but I had taken a couple years after community college to work, so my Gen Chem, Bio, O Chem, and Physics were all 9-11 years old. I had a good MCAT, however, and had been doing some teaching at night at my alma mater. Despite that, I had just one interview (and one acceptance), which was fortuitously at the nearest state school. I do wonder what might have been different if I had taken courses earlier. Of course, you do need to take Bio (and possibly Biochem no depending on the school) at a minimum before your MCAT. If you feel that Gen or O chem need a refresher as well, I would do those. As far as where you do them, that is entirely dependent on your school of choice. Are we talking Harvard/Stanford or your nearest state school? Community colleges will get you to that state school with no appreciable loss in education, but probably will not get you a top tier interview.

Take your remaining pre-reqs at a local CC or university extension, then apply for a MBS program.

I am in the same boat; most of my course works are around 10 years ago. I managed a decent academic record even though I was not aiming for medical school at the time.

I decided to go the DIY route at the local CC because it was the only realistic option for me.
  1. I was working full-time. I did not see myself quitting work just to complete the pre-reqs.
  2. I tried to talk to the admissions office at a local 4-year, but they seem to be against non-degree seeking students. They were also farther away, so scheduling would have been difficult.
  3. I figured my prior academic record + acing science classes while working full-time + (hopefully) decent MCAT would speak volume and overcome any CC biases
  4. I was able to get to know most, if not all, of my CC professors due to much smaller class sizes, and I think they would have no problem writing LORs.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't necessarily agree with the previous advice. I was in the same boat as you - had done half the pre-reqs as an undergrad and then changed direction and had a different major/career for several years. 5 years after graduating with my BA, I admitted regretting not finishing the pre-med pathway and giving it my full attention, so I looked into my options. I ended up retaking only 1 course (Organic I, because I couldn't remember anything close to enough to let me just slide into Organic II). I grabbed a gen chem and bio textbook to review on my own prior to classes starting and jumped right back into the science courses after ~3 months of self-directed review (while still working full time).

Judging by my multiple acceptances, I think it worked out just fine for me. Only YOU know your capacity, skills, and what knowledge you've retained, but don't be discouraged by having taken a break. And I don't necessarily agree with the CC to Master's logic some people are suggesting - just do some DIY post-bacc courses and take a few upper level courses (cell bio, biochemistry) to help show Adcoms you are capable and to help prep for the all-important MCAT.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. It is nice to see other folks have found a way to make it work.

Based on the gracious insight of others and my research, the following seems to be a good path for this situation:

1st quarter 2016:
-Work full time
-EMT-B and BLS/CPR
-chart of reqs / scheduling
-Identify and register courses
-Identify volunteer opportunities
-research med schools

Summer 2016:
-Work full time
-solidify/start EMT or ED tech volunteer work
-CLEP out of math req.
-restudy Gen chem / precalc / physics

Fall 2016:
-Work full time
-Volunteer EMT or ED tech
+take bio 1 |\ local university @ night
+retake ochem 1 |/

Spring 2017:
-work full time
+take bio 2 |\ local university @ night
+ retake ochem 2 |/

Fall 2017:
-Work part time or less
+anatomy |\
+biochem | > preferably at same university as Spring to maintain contact with Profs
+genetics |/
+2nd english semester

Spring 2018:
-Work part time or less
-study for MCAT, then MCAT(April)
+molecular bio
+physiology or other bio

Summer 2018: applications submited

The first quarter of 2016 is almost complete, I will try to followup here progress.

1st quarter 2016:
  • Work full time
  • EMT-B [finish 4/2016] and BLS/CPR
  • chart of reqs / scheduling
  • Identify and register courses. Got into all the remaining classes needed!
  • Identify volunteer opportunities [pending strategic move to another state ]
  • research med schools
  • Completed 20 hours of patient facing clinical time so far [ER and ambulance]

Happily, I have completed most items, nearly completed one, and another pending. Off to a reasonable start, in large part thanks to research from SDN and trawling through previous advice. I can now see what a HUGE gamble this process is, and have a better appreciation for what the folks here have gone through -- but there is no turning around. I will plan to update again at the end of 2016.

The biggest change in my plan is an attempt to consolidate all the coursework into the 2016/2017 year. This is to avoid debt, as research indicates I will likely have about a 50/50 shot of getting in given my average stats. I also am moving to a state with one of the most favorable in-state acceptance rates, and establishing residency. My only goal there is to maximize odds of entry into any continental US medical school, allopathic or osteopathic. I will attempt to work as an ER tech and/or EMT for 2016-2018, and take whatever bio I can afford for the 2017/2018 school year.

Last edited:
I will plan to update again at the end of 2016.

Here I update as planned. All green items are completed. Blue are completed changes from original statement. Happily I am on track for good marks in science classes, have received my OH EMT license, and have found interesting volunteer work. Thanks to SDN for their help thus far.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. It is nice to see other folks have found a way to make it work.

1st quarter 2016:
-Work full time
-EMT-B and BLS/CPR
-chart of reqs / scheduling
-Identify and register courses
-Identify volunteer opportunities
-research med schools

-Strategic move to Ohio and establishing in-state residency to improve chance of acceptance.

Summer 2016:
-Work full time
<- Changed to part time ED scribing
-solidify/start EMT or ED tech volunteer work <- Changed to hospital volunteering
-CLEP out of math req.
-restudy Gen chem / precalc / physics
- Volunteer Tutor

Fall 2016:
-Work full time
<- changed to work part time ED scribing
-Volunteer EMT or ED tech <- Change to hospital volunteering
+take bio 1 |\ local university @ night <- changed to day
+retake ochem 1 |/
-Volunteer Tutor

|