Best route to take before applying to Vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danielle18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for reading my thread. I was wondering which route I should take that would give me the highest chance of getting into vet school. I have 3 semesters left after this one (depending on what I do) and I'm starting to stress.

I'm in my fifth year at UT, although I technically took a semester off since I only did one class. I have a double major in Psychology and Evolution / Ecology Biology while taking the pre vet courses. My current GPA is a 3.12 and my current science GPA is a 2.5 (awful I know ) I've worked 40+ hours a week in school until just recently and made Cs in most of my chemistry classes.

I'm in a better situation now and can focus much of my time on school. I'm confident that I can raise my overall GPA to at least a 3.4 and my science to at least a 3.0 (everything here on out is pretty much math and science). I've worked with two professors on undergraduate research and volunteer at the zoo with exotic / farm animals. I'm meeting with a vet this week to start working in her clinic.

Either way I want to take a year off so I can apply with 1500+ hours of vet experience/ and large/small/exotic animal experience. I would also like to do more undergrad research and try to do exceptionally on the GRE. I would actually like to go to an international school but would go to pretty much any vet school that would take me and that's credited.

So should I graduate with my 2 degrees, do that for a year, and then apply? I started a neuroscience major, should I add another semester or 2 and use it to finish my neuroscience major so I can raise my GPA (3 bachelors degrees, rather pointless I feel like). Should I apply after the year of working and then just go get my masters if I don't get in and try later? I'm just so worried about not getting in and wasting a bunch of time but I also want to be realistic.

Thank you so much for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a triple major. Don't bother. You should retake any pre req class you got C- or below in. Everyone has a busy schedule, and many people work 40+ hour weeks. Definitely get vet experience. You can take a year off if you want to. If you have 3 semesters left and you start getting vet experience now, you may not need to. You should try to go to the cheapest vet school for you, so you graduate with less debt. Many many people don't get in the first time, just do a file review and improve for the next year. It's not really wasting time if it's going towards your goal/experience. Many many people also get in the first time, but you need to improve your science gpa for sure, and be strategic about which schools you apply to. Apply to schools that heavily weight the last 45 credits, and do well on the GRE. Get killer letters of rec.

You don't need a triple major. Don't bother. You should retake any pre req class you got C- or below in. Everyone has a busy schedule, and many people work 40+ hour weeks. Definitely get vet experience. You can take a year off if you want to. If you have 3 semesters left and you start getting vet experience now, you may not need to. You should try to go to the cheapest vet school for you, so you graduate with less debt. Many many people don't get in the first time, just do a file review and improve for the next year. It's not really wasting time if it's going towards your goal/experience. Many many people also get in the first time, but you need to improve your science gpa for sure, and be strategic about which schools you apply to. Apply to schools that heavily weight the last 45 credits, and do well on the GRE. Get killer letters of rec.
Thank you for the input! It is greatly appreciated