Best Route to Take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytosham

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked many times, but each situation is different. I am a graduate of LSU (2011) with a GPA of 2.6, business graduate of University of Phoenix (2013) with a GPA of 3.2. I am currently working on my pre-reqs for medical school, I have to take trig before I can start my science courses. I know this journey is a marathon, but in regards to classes I am trying to figure out the best path. Is it better to take all of my courses at LSU or should I do some of the lower level courses at a community college? I am really considering cost because it is likely that I will have to drop to another job that pays less and I haven't had any luck in finding any free money (i.e. scholarships and grants). I have a solid plan for shadowing and even found an internship at a hospital where I can earn 600 hours and I am a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and we volunteer and do other things that will be beneficial to my application. Any advice on the route to take or possible financial assistance websites, not loans.

Members don't see this ad.

No offence but no extra curriculars or sororities will matter with that low GPA...

No offence but no extra curriculars or sororities will matter with that low GPA...

None taken, I would need to do extremely well in my pre-req courses to build it up correct? Or are you saying even with that chances are still slim?

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk about how the online transcript gets combined with Uni, but it will be hard to move that needle of 2.6 gpa since it was probably the result of at least 128 credits.

I know because I am in a similar position (2.8 over like 130 cr). Takes a lot of coursework just to get it up to 3.00.

Lots of time and money :( good luck.

But as far as money you may be able to get financial aid (subsidized loans) still. Some schools offer financial aid for non-matriculated students. In my school's case I had to fill out a form and get it authorized by the pre-health advisor and assistant dean and it was very conditional but it may be possible.

Yeah I am trying to save the remaining financial aid I have for when I need it for medical school. I have asked the advisor of the university where I am doing my pre-reqs. I know my GPA isn't the best, but I am prepared to work hard to raise it and will do so.

Why don't you take a less demanding medical route? You will waste a lot of time with already having 2 degrees.

Well personally, it's a choice for me. Thank you for your input.

I may be wrong but I believe the "financial aid limit" is different for professional school and UG. For example in NY I think the federal loan limit is like 50k or something but this cannot be the case for professional school because it costs 200k+ and there are very few scholarships (mostly paid for in loans). I even think there is a different limit for masters programs.