Best Selectives/Electives for interest in Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PercutaneousKnowledge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering which selectives/electives would be most beneficial for a medical student interested in anesthesia.

Also, my home program has an anesthesia elective but no associated residency program - would I be better off doing that electives as an away since we only only allowed four electives in the same category?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Conventional wisdom is that prior to doing an away in the specialty you are interested in you should do it at your home institution. Mainly because you look better if you have an idea of what you are doing.

You should post in the Anesthesia forum btw. People there would have a better idea in regards to electives and what not. I've heard critical care, ultrasound and others listed but I don't know for certain.

I would do home. Home is home. But since there is not a home residency program, I would go out and try to do 2 aways in order to try and get good letters and establish a few places that know you well.

Other things to take. Critical Care like in the STICU would be great. I think some time in ED could give some good well roundedness. If you have a Neuro or Cardiac ICU those would be good too. Also, PICU could be good if you have any ideas about peds. MICU could be some help as well.

If you need some IM hrs....I think spending some time on Cards would be helpful too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should do ortho or ent and see if you like those because anesthesia has a terrible future. Surgeons are more shielded from a lot of the bs of clinical medicine from what I've seen

Wait... You're getting the chance to do anesthesia without residents?!?!
Dude! Take advantage of that!
Do a home rotation for a month and not have to worry about residents impeding your education.

Wait... You're getting the chance to do anesthesia without residents?!?!
Dude! Take advantage of that!
Do a home rotation for a month and not have to worry about residents impeding your education.
Agree with this somewhat. I had two 2-week Gas rotations at places without residents. One was absolutely fantastic. The other was mostly a waste of time unless one particular attending was around and wanted to take me on that day.

So I would try and find people who have rotated at your home institution first. If they all had a great time, then you should definitely do it.

I think you should do ortho or ent and see if you like those because anesthesia has a terrible future. Surgeons are more shielded from a lot of the bs of clinical medicine from what I've seen

Can you explain this a little?