Best specialty to work abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girfaroo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Part of my (current) life plan is to work abroad for a few years (probably locum tenens positions) after residency before I come back to the US and settle into a long-term position. Ideally, I'd work in 2-3 countries during that time, both first and third world (for the record, I'm not a huge fan of those phrases). Is there a particularly specialty that would be best suited for this? By that, I mean easiest to find jobs abroad. Anything other than family, because I enjoyed that rotation much less than I thought I would.

I saw a forum somewhat along these lines, but it was from 4 years ago and was started by a pre-med student, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my research the order of need seems to go:
Primary Care > General Surgery > Anesthesiology > OB > Infectious disease > everything else.

maybe add in emergency med? The emed docs at my school do a ton of global health work all over. In terms of developed countries, it seems like Australia and NZ have locums positions in many fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally, I'd work in 2-3 countries during that time, both first and third world (for the record, I'm not a huge fan of those phrases).

Developed vs. developing are the PC terms.

Would you need to do residency over again to work in those countries? I know people from other countries who come to the US (imgs) have to do residency again even if they did it in their home countries and have been practicing so what about the other way around?

Would you need to do residency over again to work in those countries? I know people from other countries who come to the US (imgs) have to do residency again even if they did it in their home countries and have been practicing so what about the other way around?

Depends on the country. Probably in Canada, but not most places. Some places don't like DOs, but MDs usually don't have a problem.

Determine whether you would have to do re-do residency. However, I agree that EM/FM/Gen Surg are probably your best bets for wordly doctoring. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to re-do a residency in developed (first world) countries, however.