Best State to establish Residency for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for the Texans (or anyone who knows):

If I hypothetically moved out there next June and got a job, while applying for medical school, I assume I would not be considered a resident for admissions (not tuition) purposes?

Residency determination for admissions purposes in Texas is made at the time of application. So if you move out in June and apply the same year, you will be non-resident for application purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on this requirement from TDMSAS website, I'm moving to Texas end of the summer, I'll be working and I'll meet their requirements by the October 2014 deadline.

Option 2: Residency by Establishing Domicile This option for establishing Texas residency is available to:

Citizens or permanent residents of the US (Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.) International students who hold an eligible visa.

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1; and

2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, October 1, by doing one of the following: Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment) - Gainful employment is employment that provides an income that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual's tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week

Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence

Own and operate a business in Texas

Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Residency will be determined by applying the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Rules and Regulations for Determining Residence Status at the time of application. TMDSAS does not presume residency. Residency can change during the application period. All schools are notified at the time a change of residency occurs. It will be up to each school's discretion to determine which pool an applicant will be placed in if eligibility for reclassification occurs after the deadline for filing an application but before matriculation into medical school.

If Texas residency is questionable, TMDSAS may request that the applicant provide documentation to support answers to the Core Residency Questions and/or information provided in Section G of the questions. A list of appropriate documents

If I recall correctly, it's fairly standard: 1 year of residence (but not as a full time student) at the time of your submission should be sufficient. As to how good a state it is to be applying from, I'd call it good but not great. You have 3 state schools that represent a wide range of competitiveness plus another private allopathic and a D.O. school. A downside is that VA schools don't favor in state applicants like TX for example.

The other downside is that, unlike many states, they don't seem to accept HS graduation as an in-state req't :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have gone through all posts which I found very beneficial. I am currently in Texas and also have the opportunity of moving to Ohio or IL. So I wanted to find out which state is better for medical school admissions as an instate student if tuition fees is not a big issue?

Texas is great in terms of number of schools and tuition fees but one must understand that Texas has a big South Asian (Indian, Chinese and Pakistani) population which makes Texas a very very competitive state. I am not trying to be racist here but accept the fact that Asian students score high and always remain at the top. As compared to Texas, Ohio does not have that much of Asian students which make Ohio less competitive than Texas. Can somebody share his/her thoughts on this line of thinking?

Thanks,
Mark.

Hi, I have gone through all posts which I found very beneficial. I am currently in Texas and also have the opportunity of moving to Ohio or IL. So I wanted to find out which state is better for medical school admissions as an instate student if tuition fees is not a big issue?

Texas is great in terms of number of schools and tuition fees but one must understand that Texas has a big South Asian (Indian, Chinese and Pakistani) population which makes Texas a very very competitive state. I am not trying to be racist here but accept the fact that Asian students score high and always remain at the top. As compared to Texas, Ohio does not have that much of Asian students which make Ohio less competitive than Texas. Can somebody share his/her thoughts on this line of thinking?

Thanks,
Mark.
No. Just, no.
You've got it about as good as it comes. TX is a great state to be applying from. Also, you may not be trying to be racist, but...maybe just avoid saying things that require you to use the sentence "I'm not trying to be racist".

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks !! mehc012. As for what I said about Asians, I think it is very common to see asian kids excelling in studies more than other ethnicities in schools here.

Just be careful with generalizations, is all. Not all asians/whatever are math aficionados. However it may feel, TX does not have a monopoly on stiff competition, of any ethnicity. Remember that in a state with many med schools and a HUGE in-state preference, you are competing mainly against the top students in your state, rather than the top students across the country. That's one area where you will be hard-pressed to find a more favorable setup than TX.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks,
Mark.
Lol

Stay in Texas. Who cares about asians and their test scores, the average stats for TX med schools are lower than in OH or IL so it will be easier to get accepted in TX.

TX also has more schools to choose from, a huge in-state bias (90%+), and ridiculously low tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol

Stay in Texas. Who cares about asians and their test scores, the average stats for TX med schools are lower than in OH or IL so it will be easier to get accepted in TX.

TX also has more schools to choose from, a huge in-state bias (90%+), and ridiculously low tuition.
In addition to everything said, Texas has one of the best combinations of wages and cost-of-living. Real estate is extremely cheap, wages are high, and prices are low. Most importantly, the people of Texas are, for the most part, super-friendly and hospitable.

Definitely way more Asians in Cali than in TX. Granted, that's irrelevant for the most part. Do the best you can. It doesn't come any better than TX for being in-state (you have your own application system which deters OOS folks from just applying to see if they may get in, the cost is really cheap, the GPA/MCAT is not even remotely close to CA, and TX is a good place to live).

I like NY. but of course, I'm partial to it. There are 4 very good state schools there. Not as cheap as TX, but it all depends on where you want to match for residency. If you want to match in NY, PA, NJ, MA, CT, etc, you'll have an easier time having attended a SUNY school.

Most people here seem to be confusing/conflating residency for admission and residency for tuition.

Most states require 1 year of residency before matriculating (as I understand it, before the first day of classes) in order to qualify for in-state tuition.

Admission is TOTALLY different. (and way less objective)
You can claim on the AMCAS (dunno how it works in TX) that you're a resident of a state the same day you move there.* But that doesn't mean they'll treat you as an in-state applicant, since they're looking for people with ties to the state, which doesn't typically mean moving there just so you can apply to med school and call yourself a resident. The reason they have an in-state bias is usually because they want people that will stay there to practice, and showing them that you're willing to move to any state that looks appealing probably won't help in convincing them that you're that person :p

*Keep in mind that if you're doing it right, this means that you will be living in the state long enough to qualify as an in-state applicant for tuition purposes once that point rolls around if it's a state that wants 1 year residency. Applying in July, matriculating in August.

P.S. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

Last edited:
Best: Texas. Even the private school here heavily favors in-state residents. Acceptance rates are as low as 10% for UTSW and 16%+ for some UTs and Tech/A&M.

Worst: California. Acceptance rates as low as the Ivy League medical schools.

Lohktar's interpretation of my post is correct. If you want a concrete example to illustrate what's going on, take the stats for SUNY Upstate. Last year they got 4481 apps: 41% from in-state, 49% out-of-state, and 10% international. The school has 160 seats, so 3.5% of applicants were admitted overall: 100 IS (5% of IS apps), 43 OOS (2%), and 17 international (4%).

I realize this post was from awhile back, but it is deeply misleading. The overall acceptance rate for this school hovers 10 - 11%, and the in-state acceptance rate is 16.5%. That's like college acceptance rate territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined the SC National Guard 3 years ago moving from CA to SC knowing I'd be returning to school and applying to med school in 4 yrs time. Am happy with my choice...3 med schools, 2 with pretty low standards...strong in state bias, Charleston won't be a bad place to spend 4 years if it comes to that

Best: Texas. Even the private school here heavily favors in-state residents. Acceptance rates are as low as 10% for UTSW and 16%+ for some UTs and Tech/A&M.

Worst: California. Acceptance rates as low as the Ivy League medical schools.

I realize this post was from awhile back, but it is deeply misleading. The overall acceptance rate for this school hovers 10 - 11%, and the in-state acceptance rate is 16.5%. That's like college acceptance rate territory.

The numbers in this post came from the AMCAS med school guide, so they're factual as far as that goes. But I do agree with you that they're inherently misleading, in that they only give numbers of students who MATRICULATED at the school, as opposed to the numbers of students who were OFFERED ADMISSION. Unfortunately, that is the only data that AMCAS provides, so I used what I had. At the time, I had no idea how many offers of admission med schools made for each place in the class. But after I made this post, I discovered that the USNews annual med school rankings include this information for many schools, and it's an eye-opener. Even the most elite medical schools have a "yield" of only 40-45%, so they send acceptances to at least twice as many people as they admit. Ergo, your admission stats are probably about right.

My real point, though, was that the SUNY med schools are fairly hard to get into compared to most other state schools, and offer much less IS preference. If we use your numbers, IS applicants at SUNY are admitted at about 1.5x the rate of OOS applicants, but at most other state med schools the odds ratio is about 10:1. Take my school, University of Vermont: at the time I applied, the IS acceptance rate was 37% and the OOS acceptance rate was 3%.

I'm looking to possobly do something similar, in terms of moving to West Virginia in early August of this year and applying 2016 cycle if I dont get accepted this 2014 cycle. I've looked at the in state requirements, and it says that I have to be there for twelve months prior to registration. Does anyone know if that means AMCAS submission, or first day of classes, or what? Thanks.

Texas.... Low tuition
Puerto Rico... Lower admission standards

Only a realistic option if you habla espanol.

You do realize, right, that this thread is a couple years old?
One should be able to 'habla espanol' after spending 1-2 years there... Did not realize this thread was a couple of years old.

One should be able to 'habla espanol' after spending 1-2 years there... Did not realize this thread was a couple of years old.
Meh, it was active a few months ago.
Better to have necrothreads than hordes of twin-threads.

Idea for this thread came from a response to someone else's thread. Especially for nontrads trying to give themselves the best chances, what state is the best to get residency in?

I haven't investigated all the states but I'm an Ohio resident. I have to say I think Ohio is a pretty sweet state to apply to medical school in. We have 7 medical schools, 6 allopathic and 1 DO.

1. Wright State - heavily favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
2. NEOCOM - heavily favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
3. U of Toledo - somewhat favors instate applicants (instate tuition)
4. Ohio State - ranked #30, does not favor instate (instate tuition)
5. U of Cincinnati - ranked #40, does not favor instate (instate tuition)
6. Case Western - ranked #25, does not favor instate (same tuition instate or OOS)
7. Ohio University (DO) - somewhat favors instate (instate tuition)

while Case, Cincy, OSU don't favor instate applicants, if you get a job at one of these places you can get a little homefield advantage. For example:

1. If you do post-bac or graduate work there they will respect your coursework.
2. You'll be able to cull LORs from people who are actually faculty at those schools
3. You'll be able get to know people in the Admissions office on a personal level.

ur lucky u don't live in CA. applying sucks if ur from cali cuz too many other premeds competing. being a cali resident is no advantage at all

Reactions: 1 user
Posting to this a little late, but I had to chime in. The best would have to be Wyoming. Hard to meet the residency requirement (either you or your parents have to have lived in Wyoming for the past 5 years), but the acceptance rate of applicants into WWAMI is about 33% for Wyoming residents because 20 seats are reserved at University of Washington every year.

I'm strongly considering relocating to NC for a job and am wondering if I will qualify for in-state tuition when I apply locally for the cycle next year. NC requires 12 months residency plus substantial evidence of intent to stay in order to claim domicile.

What are the bounds on that 12 months? Do I only get until sending out my first app or does the domicile timer run until I potentially get an acceptance letter? Expiring the timer at application time (presumably June 2018) would guarantee I cannot meet the 12 month requirement without waiting another cycle.

I'm in PA now and not thrilled with the idea of applying from here.

You have to work for at least one year or buy property to be considered a resident. Texas is very strict about residency qualification when it comes to medical school.applications.
Hey! I have a similar question - if I got a job in Texas and moved there this June, applied in June, and worked for a year or more before I would start med school, would that count as a resident? Most likely renting an apartment not buying land. Would be a year before school but not a year before application..
Thanks!

Hey! I have a similar question - if I got a job in Texas and moved there this June, applied in June, and worked for a year or more before I would start med school, would that count as a resident? Most likely renting an apartment not buying land. Would be a year before school but not a year before application..
Thanks!
During the application process is when it is most important to be considered a resident. You may qualify for residency before you would matriculate, but on your application you'd be a non-resident, which would give you a shot at only one of 10% of the classes' seats.