Best States/Regions for Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmreed2

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to figure out at least which state I will be practicing in by my 3rd year (currently 2nd year) and key my residency choices to that state. Does anyone have opinions or facts about which states are the best for rural practice? A previous poster within this sub-forum said: Alaska, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma.

Where can I find information about states/regions? Should I just go to the fed/state loan repayment sites and see which states are most in need?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to figure out at least which state I will be practicing in by my 3rd year (currently 2nd year) and key my residency choices to that state. Does anyone have opinions or facts about which states are the best for rural practice? A previous poster within this sub-forum said: Alaska, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma.

Where can I find information about states/regions? Should I just go to the fed/state loan repayment sites and see which states are most in need?

all states are in need of family practice. You should do residency where you will get the most experience with as many procedures as possible and deliveries if you plan to do OB. I'm curious to know what exactly the type of information you are seeking? Once you finish residency and put your resume out there, the phone will be ringing off the hook especially if you tell recruiters you are looking to do rural medicine.

I can't see how all 50 states are in dire need of rural physicians, so I was figuring that the state with the most need/options would be directly proportional to those listed on NHSC. They list the number of positions available there, but I was hoping someone had anecdotal information about any regions beyond that website. This map lists the dollar amount allocated to each state for rural NHSC physicians: http://www.hrsa.gov/ruralhealth/grants/grantsmap/index.html

I just want to find a select few states where I could "write my own ticket" in the near future, but not necessarily with the NHSC. Somewhere people are just begging for a rural physician, and that's where I want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't see how all 50 states are in dire need of rural physicians, so I was figuring that the state with the most need/options would be directly proportional to those listed on NHSC. They list the number of positions available there, but I was hoping someone had anecdotal information about any regions beyond that website. This map lists the dollar amount allocated to each state for rural NHSC physicians: http://www.hrsa.gov/ruralhealth/grants/grantsmap/index.html

I just want to find a select few states where I could "write my own ticket" in the near future, but not necessarily with the NHSC. Somewhere people are just begging for a rural physician, and that's where I want to be.

Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska

Take a gander at www.3rnet.org if you havn't made a decision yet, you can see how many openings are available in each region. I know North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa all have quite a few openings. If you go to any of these states, you will have no problem finding a good family practice job. (I am a little biased towards South Dakota as I grew up there and work there, and Iowa because I work there)