best step 3 book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomplatz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've got 1 month in which to study and take the test while on an easier rotation (all my other rotations are 110+ hours a week, for real. this one's about 70). for those who've taken it, what's your thought on the best book to use?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I used First Aid for both Steps 1 and 2 and I thought it was very effective for both tests. I don't take 3 until December, but I bought a copy of FA 3 to work with later in the year (when I also am on a lighter rotation.) ;-)

Most people I have talked to just wanted to pass step 3. Doing well on the test has more to do with what your internship is in, IMO. Most of my exam was on general pediatrics, general medicine, and ob/gyn. After completing a general surgery internship, I felf quite unprepared for these areas.

I used my First Aid for Step 2 book as a review, did the 150 USMLE CD ROM questions and clinical scenarios, and skimmed my Blueprints series books in those three subjects. Those were still my worst three areas on the exam, but I did fine overall.

If you did fine on Step 1/2, you should do alright on Step 3 as well. You should be familiar with the clinical scenarios and how to order tests and get results.

Good Luck.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

GenSurg said:
Most people I have talked to just wanted to pass step 3. Doing well on the test has more to do with what your internship is in, IMO. Most of my exam was on general pediatrics, general medicine, and ob/gyn. After completing a general surgery internship, I felf quite unprepared for these areas.

I used my First Aid for Step 2 book as a review, did the 150 USMLE CD ROM questions and clinical scenarios, and skimmed my Blueprints series books in those three subjects. Those were still my worst three areas on the exam, but I did fine overall.

If you did fine on Step 1/2, you should do alright on Step 3 as well. You should be familiar with the clinical scenarios and how to order tests and get results.

Good Luck.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

I dunno how I did yet but Strong Medicine and Step III NMS seemed like the best material in retrospect. Throw in HY Obgyn and some of your Crush step II (don't need crush III as it essentially crush II missing some pages) and thatz all she wrote.

Members don't see this ad :)
tomplatz said:
i've got 1 month in which to study and take the test while on an easier rotation (all my other rotations are 110+ hours a week, for real. this one's about 70). for those who've taken it, what's your thought on the best book to use?

thanks.
I thought 110-hour weeks were ACGME/RRC violations?

southerndoc said:
I thought 110-hour weeks were ACGME/RRC violations?

yeah right. you think ANY surgery program in the country actually sticks to it?

my first week of internship, a prelim surgery intern announced to the team on rounds that he had to leave because he was at 79 and a half hours. after the laughter subsided, he was ignored. now the chief and staff don't respect the guy at all.

right or wrong, it absolutely isn't followed in surgery.