Best time to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studoc28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the 2017 cycle when will be the best time to take DAT? I will be entering my junior year (took the DAT last week, studied two weeks and got a 19 so I will be re-taking). I've looked at the threads for the last two cycles and seen that the earliest interviews were given out July 1st. I figure that it takes 4 weeks after the DAT to upload your scores so this means take it by June 1st. However, I will like at least 1.5-2 months after school is out to study so I was thinking more around late June? Just wondering for those who have already applied and been accepted or offered an interview when do you recommend a best time to take the DAT? I would assume studying during school (April/May) will be hard.

Also, say if I e-submit on June 1/2nd does it make a difference if I don't take my DAT until late July? For example, will my application not be reviewed any sooner than if I e-submit late July when I take my DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting your DAT scores validated can take a couple weeks, but what takes even longer is getting your GPA verified which doesn't happen until you pay up and submit. In a perfect world you would take the DAT in the winter or the year before, but if all else fails, the best way to get your application in as early as possible and still have about 2 months to study for the DAT is as follows:

1. Complete your AADSAS send in your transcripts in early June
2. E-submit in early June. Don't wait to do this.
3. Take the DAT in mid July

If you do it this way your application will be complete the moment your DAT score processes, hopefully at the end of July or very early in August. Definitely. Not first batch, but still kind of early.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who take the DAT in the winter... Just take it toward the end of winter break since I will have almost a full month off for break?

I've just seen a lot of post for those who get very high scores that study 2-3 months

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you've taken it already, you might not need as long to prep, but... you also know that the DAT is a huge test. I pulled a 22 studying for two months, but I think I would have studied for 6 months if I had known what I was getting myself into. lol

Also, one thing I didn't think of before...
In your situation you might NOT want to e-submit until after your new DAT scores post because I think that means the school will get your application as complete, but complete with your old score.

You could try doing some light review during the semester and then taking it in the winter, but I don't know if you need to do that. Take your time, kill the DAT, e-submit in August and you'll be fine. After reading way too many posts on SDN, it seems like submitting early is nice, but when you submit isn't all that important. Being first batch versus 8th batch doesn't matter at all for some schools since they take the summer off anyway. Good luck.

Thank you for your post, I will look more into this! I agree since I have already taken the DAT I am more familiar which may require less time. I like the idea of taking the DAT in winter to avoid schools getting my old DAT and still being able to apply early. I will probably make the decision in two or so weeks, and see how my course load is because ideally I will like to study a little bit throughout the semester as well!

Have you heard of any changes between 2015 and 2016 DAT? Do you think there will be a difference taking it December 30 or January 10... I thought I saw somewhere they are changing QR or something...?

I will be taking physio and cell bio in spring semester, do you think that will affect my bio score? I'm thinking I may be able to get the sense of what will be necessary via DAT Destroyer and Ferrali's notes. Unfortunately, on my DAT last week I only got through a 1/3 of bio on Destroyer and didn't even look at Ferrali's notes :(

Btw I applied for this cycle as well (hoping for a better DAT tbh) I have a 3.93 with good E/C, however, I know the odds are not in my favor of getting in so I will prepare for the worst. However, if I take the DAT first week of January- this could possible give me a chance to show these scores to the schools I applied to... Assuming I haven't got a reject from them at the time?

Perfect time to take the DAT?
A year before you apply.

What would be the difference if I took it in January versus mid June? Assuming I submit my app on June 1, it will take 6 weeks to verify my GPA which means by app will not be completed until mid July. So shouldn't I be fine if I take it mid June (4 weeks to be verified)? I am saying whether I take it in January versus June it will not help in allowing my app being submitted earlier, right?

What would be the difference if I took it in January versus mid June? Assuming I submit my app on June 1, it will take 6 weeks to verify my GPA which means by app will not be completed until mid July. So shouldn't I be fine if I take it mid June (4 weeks to be verified)? I am saying whether I take it in January versus June it will not help in allowing my app being submitted earlier, right?
You're right it won't matter. You'll just have to deal with a lot more stuff all at once if you take it in June.