Best time to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swifty181

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to sign up for the DAT within the next couple of days and there is something that has been on my mind for a while. When during the day is a good time to take a test like this? I was on the Prometric site and their appointments seemed to be either at 8 am, 1:30pm or 3:30pm. Now I'm not too much of a morning person, and around 2 or 3 pm I occasionally get a bit sleepy. Idk if this will happen during my exam but I'm trying to look at my options, maybe i can get higher score by maybe a point or so just because of this. From your experiences what time would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it in the afternoon around 1, so that if you have trouble sleeping the night before, then you can sleep in for a bit. As for the afternoon tiredness, just take some coffee or five hour energy before hand and another one during the break so that u can stay focused.

Members don't see this ad :)
i personally took it in the morning and was glad I did that. Just make sure to go to sleep early the week before the test and relax before the test. I went to the swimming pool, had a meal at a nice restaurant the day before the test. But it really depends on your personality. If I don't have to wake up ealry, I will sleep till 10-11 am, but if I need to wake up early, as long as i go to bed early, I am ok waking up early. hoep this helps

i personally took it in the morning and was glad I did that. Just make sure to go to sleep early the week before the test and relax before the test. I went to the swimming pool, had a meal at a nice restaurant the day before the test. But it really depends on your personality. If I don't have to wake up ealry, I will sleep till 10-11 am, but if I need to wake up early, as long as i go to bed early, I am ok waking up early. hoep this helps

It does very much so and thank you. Thats my plan exactly. However, having worked in the restaurant business for over 7 years I wouldn't recommend eating out no matter how good the restaurant is. You don't know how old the products are and furthermore, all their foods are cooked with saturated fats which aren't much of "brain foods". If you can, cook yourself. Do so for the couple of days before the exam, make sure you get a lot of good carbs, slow to digest fibers, fish or fish oils, and seeds and nuts. I'm really into this stuff and trust me, your brain functions a lot better when on healthy foods.