Best Way/Book to Study for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xner37

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I've heard and Kaplan and Dr. Collins are the best for PCAT studying, however I can't seem to find Dr. Collins study guide anywhere. Is it still relevant/ being sold? Additionally, what would be a good length of time to study for the PCAT for?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend studying at least 6 weeks out from exam day. That will allow you to cover a section a week, and the final week you can focus on what you need more work on/take practice tests.
Dr. Collins is still being sold here http://pcatprepclass.com/course/self-study-course/
But you can buy them used on the classified sections on this site. The used ones usually range from $100-$250 vs $375 for the brand new one.
I haven't used Collins yet, but most people say use Kaplan for the biology section and Collins for everything else. Kaplan goes more in detail in all the sections but Math.
Kaplan just lacks practice questions which is so annoying.
I highly, highly, highly recommend taking the pearson practice tests and the free PCAT exam on the PCAT website. Practicing the tests will benefit you so much.

I'm selling my 2016-2017 Dr. Collins and Kaplan book for $250! I used them for my PCAT and got in the 97% composite. You can message me on here or email me at [email protected] if you're interested!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Collins probably your best shot, some questions are copy pasted from Collins to PCAT.

Collins is so expensive. So many books have so much useless information that you will probably never get asked. You should take just take as many practice tests as you can find, especially the ones given by Pearson (also get the study guide they offer). This will outline some of the material you need. If you need help on some content- use khan academy on their website or through youtube (its free btw). They have almost every subject and many practice questions (most of the questions are much harder than the PCAT questions because they are designed for MCAT).. I used cracking the PCAT from 2013 from Princeton Review and realized i wasted so much time with it when taking the PCAT this past July. The PCAT is not hard, and the questions are very straightforward. Use free material online and save yourself a lot of money and wasted effort.