Best way study for biology? And do well on exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHeart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first B in a college test in Biology... I feel like my study habbits are not up to par... The tests are worded so perciesly that its hard to chose the right answers. When I whent into to subect I felt like I new all the answers but I missed 12 out of 60. Thank god there was an essay portion too. How do you guys study and take multiple choice questions? I love biology and it really intrest me but the tests are soo hard to ace... There is only 3 more Tests left and I need to score an average of 93 to get the A in the class..

Members don't see this ad.

Flash cards.

Biology is basically pure memorization so put down key information (fill up those flash cards too, don't waste space, but make it readable of course) on flash cards then keep looking at them until you know 'em.

Biology is definitely not all memorization... it's a lot of memorization, of terms and processes, yes.

But you must be able to realize the bigger picture, the concepts behind what you are studying. That way you can make logical comparisons, reason by analogy, and educated guesses during a test; I've got a Cell Bio exam later today and based on the problem sets my prof gave us to study with, there will be a lot of terms or lots of questions that we've never seen before. There's simply too much to memorize, and in some cases not even possible (I'm talking stuff that's not even in the textbook and that he never discussed in lecture).

However, I found that I still got pretty much everything right because I understood how the processes worked, and I could apply that to different situations even if the question involved things I'd never seen before.

It is my personal belief (and so far it's definitely held true) that if all you do is rely on memorization in biology, you will sooner or later fail (probably not an "F"... but certainly not that coveted "A" we premeds are after).

Members don't see this ad :)
Memorize, memorize, memorize.

After so much repetition chances are you'll understand the "big picture." If you don't, then go to your professor or a tutor. But memorization is really the first step.

It takes work, repetition, and possibly drawing. I used to draw all the diagrams, cycles, tables, etc, until I knew them well. That got me through upper levels such as cell physiology and biochemistry very successfully.

You have to understand the concept but also memorize them to actually ace the test. Like you said the wording is so percies.
First day of our biology class our teacher told us that understanding the concept is not going to get us an "A" in his class, but just memorizing stuff is not going to get us an "A" either.
I hate flash cards. Biology is so connected within its self that flash cards just don't cut it or you end up writing the same stuff over and over again. I just read my notes ALL OF THEM 4 times a week and by the time test comes around I pretty much know most of them by heart. I got a 100 on my first biology quiz, and 92 on the second one.
i missed the most stupid question in the world. I take my time checking and double checking and this one question was left and we only had one min left (he gave us 15 min for 30 questions) and I read the question completely wrong. I knew the right answer once I got my test back but I marked the wrong one on the test! I was soooo mad.

Flash cards work pretty well for me when doing biology. It's also helpful to make a rough outline of the chapters and include the really important things on it and then study that. I think it also depends what kind of learner you are. I'm a very visual learner and I was trying to learn the steps of translation and I didn't really "get it" until I saw a diagram that showed the steps of the process and then I could easily put it into my own words and explain it rather than just memorizing the words from the book. It's so much easier to understand than to memorize, although memorization definitely does have its place.

My school was very focused on the critical thinking aspect and would not ask questions that did not require full understanding of the concepts. The questions were not anything you could find the answer to in a book. I first tried to memorize the information and got C's on my exams. So I figured out how some of the older, more experienced students learned the material. From then I learned how to make a flow chart which helped in almost every bio class since then. For example

If the book says: compound A activates B which activates C by adding a phosphate to B which phosphorylates C...
you write: A -> Phos. B -> Phos. C

They help to fully understand the system as a whole, while flashcards do not (at least not with me). Flashcards were ok for the intro classes but when I got to upperlevels they went out the window (who has time to make all of those?).

Read the chapters covered on the test twice. Once before and once after the lecture.

Flash cards.

Biology is basically pure memorization so put down key information (fill up those flash cards too, don't waste space, but make it readable of course) on flash cards then keep looking at them until you know 'em.

This kind of advice is given by someone who's never taken a critical thinking Biology test. My Bio I class was ALL critical thinking, not memorization. You had to know the concepts backwards and forwards. You needed to know the steps in cellular respiration, but you would never, ever, ever, ever get a question like "what's the first step in cellular respiration" or "how many ATP are produced through the electron transport chain" like some Bio teachers give.

Things you did need to know, for instance, is how the opposing metabolic pathways are regulated and how keeping them from integrating is beneficial to a person with food poisoning or a woman in labor. Notice I didn't say "why" it's beneficial. How it's beneficial requires an actual explanation, not a one-word response.

If your bio class is like that, then my suggestion would be to memorize the facts, then talk through everything you're responsible for. Know the concepts inside and out and be able to explain why, how, and what if about every single one.

This kind of advice is given by someone who's never taken a critical thinking Biology test. My Bio I class was ALL critical thinking, not memorization. You had to know the concepts backwards and forwards. You needed to know the steps in cellular respiration, but you would never, ever, ever, ever get a question like "what's the first step in cellular respiration" or "how many ATP are produced through the electron transport chain" like some Bio teachers give.

Things you did need to know, for instance, is how the opposing metabolic pathways are regulated and how keeping them from integrating is beneficial to a person with food poisoning or a woman in labor. Notice I didn't say "why" it's beneficial. How it's beneficial requires an actual explanation, not a one-word response.

If your bio class is like that, then my suggestion would be to memorize the facts, then talk through everything you're responsible for. Know the concepts inside and out and be able to explain why, how, and what if about every single one.

my test are very close what you are describing... and sorry bout the spelling im wearing a splint on my hand

Really not seeing how Bio of any kind is difficult....unless your prof writes extremely difficult exams...

Try to make your own test... that works to me actually. I even topped my Bio subject by doing that. Well, flash cards would be the same i think.

For my bio courses, I do minimal memorization(only memorize what is absolutely necessary). the majority of my time is spent on fitting the info i know into concepts. I think if you can understand the concepts well, you can make As in bio

Members don't see this ad :)
I am struggling with biology as well....
Man, if I strugle with biology this much... how hard is medical school going to be?

Apparently you're very good at making inaccurate assumptions, so I'll give you that. I have taken critical thinking biology tests. See, most of us who have higher learning capabilities can learn concepts from flash cards, we don't have to only use lecture notes or the textbook to learn those concepts, most of us are actually capable of learning however works best for us. I'm sorry you're not at that level.

I am struggling with biology as well....
Man, if I strugle with biology this much... how hard is medical school going to be?

Just Hang in there, it will all work out in the end

I am struggling too, but I don't think it is because I don't understand biology.

My professor doesn't speak English. My lecture is 400 students in the main floor and balcony. The loudspeaker system blows. Only 80% of his words actually go into the microphone. Of those, I understand about 10% of them. Our exams are largely based upon lectures. First test average? 48%.

I understand biology and could always answer the questions in the back of the book easily, but sadly tests are based on lecture, not book :(

Apparently you're very good at making inaccurate assumptions, so I'll give you that. I have taken critical thinking biology tests. See, most of us who have higher learning capabilities can learn concepts from flash cards, we don't have to only use lecture notes or the textbook to learn those concepts, most of us are actually capable of learning however works best for us. I'm sorry you're not at that level.

If that's true, then you wouldn't have told the OP that Bio is only about memorization when it's clear it is not.

you must be able to realize the bigger picture, the concepts behind what you are studying. That way you can make logical comparisons, reason by analogy, and educated guesses during a test

exactly. when i teach my freshmen bio section, they flip out over knowing little details, and some of them come to class having memorized the entire textbook. yet when i ask them how transcription, translation, and protein synthesis are related, they go blank.

it's much better to know less details but with better understanding of the big picture than to know all the details without knowing what it all means.

I just got my first B in a college test in Biology... I feel like my study habbits are not up to par... The tests are worded so perciesly that its hard to chose the right answers. When I whent into to subect I felt like I new all the answers but I missed 12 out of 60. Thank god there was an essay portion too. How do you guys study and take multiple choice questions? I love biology and it really intrest me but the tests are soo hard to ace... There is only 3 more Tests left and I need to score an average of 93 to get the A in the class..
On the first test you got a B. Thats not horrible. Do you know what I got? A 64. The test was tricky and meticulous and I wasn't mature enough for it. I ended up getting a B- in freshman bio. I turned it around the next semester and wound up with an A-. Keep studying hard and you'll be fine. Biology's success lies within the phrase "Memorize and regurgitate." In those essays you will have to apply some of the material, but overall it comes down to memorization. Once you have mastered the material by memorization work on the concepts. The reason I can't say know the concepts is because we were lectured the concepts. Fact and concept were included in the lectures. It made more sense to study that way and I'm so thankful the professors teaches that way. I have this professor now for microbiology versus introductory and he teaches it the same way. By memorizing his lectures, you memorize the concepts with the facts and its advantageous. Now, I wish I didn't have around 50 pages of outline to learn for the upcoming exam :(. Oh well, this thread isn't about me.

I will suggest a technique. In undergrad, I just tried to go through my notes a few times. I got B's. Now, in (high-caliber) postbacc classes, I have straight A+'s. I was a high school teacher for a while and I think that really opened my eyes to study techniques.

Anyway: Take your notes, and get a computer. Go through the notes slowly, and write questions that are answered by your notes. For example, if you are looking at a slide that lists 5 types of chemical bonding and how they work, the question is "Name 5 types of chemical bonding and draw/describe how they work" You do this for EVERYTHING in your notes (since bio is so nitpicky) and when I was feeling really ambitious I did it for the book too. If you get frustrated and start glossing over, you need a break because you can't do that.

This is a lot like flaschcards, but you can go into more detail, and personally i hate flashcards because you have to handwrite. You can write these questions more quickly, and then you can print them and carry them around with you. Importantly, both flashcards and this method show you what you don't know. When you're just looking at your notes over and over, you might think you know something when you actually don't.

I found this works great for any biology and also biochem. And if it's structures or something, actually WRITE OUT your answers.

Good luck :)

You have to understand the concept but also memorize them to actually ace the test. Like you said the wording is so percies.
First day of our biology class our teacher told us that understanding the concept is not going to get us an "A" in his class, but just memorizing stuff is not going to get us an "A" either.
I hate flash cards. Biology is so connected within its self that flash cards just don't cut it or you end up writing the same stuff over and over again. I just read my notes ALL OF THEM 4 times a week and by the time test comes around I pretty much know most of them by heart. I got a 100 on my first biology quiz, and 92 on the second one.
i missed the most stupid question in the world. I take my time checking and double checking and this one question was left and we only had one min left (he gave us 15 min for 30 questions) and I read the question completely wrong. I knew the right answer once I got my test back but I marked the wrong one on the test! I was soooo mad.

^^^ words of wisdom - same for me :thumbup:

Step 1: take good notes
Step 2: rewrite notes so they aren't as messy (also rewriting helps me memorize)
Step 3: if I still feel uncertain of material- notecard
Step 4: Write out study sheets with key facts (almost an outline)
Step 5: Work end of chapter problems or any homework
Step 6: Review notes/note cards often
Step 7: If there is a process I draw it out (ex. Krebs Cycle)
Step 8: Get a good night sleep before exam
Step 9: Ace exam

Really not seeing how Bio of any kind is difficult....unless your prof writes extremely difficult exams...

None of my classes with easy exams were hard. nice logic. and

Study. Understand what it means or how it helps in biology. Look at the problem from a logical standpoint based on genetics and evolution. It is ALOT more than memorization. I don't see how anyone could do well in a college level bio without understanding important concepts. I also dont see how they can do well without knowing very specific details to these concepts. Bio requires you to use both specific details and concepts in an integrated fashion. This is why it is difficult for many people. Most of the people who say bio is just memorization get general concepts easily and are bad with knowing alot of specific details...... ie your typical plug n chug engineers.

(had to take a shot at engineers... 4 yrs and a solid job ..i hate you all.)

study do the problems and draw out pathways/mechanisms. DONT FORGET CONCEPTS.

I made an outline of my notes will all the important info in red pen thinking it would jolt me into remembering. Lowset grade was a 94.

Most of the people who say bio is just memorization get general concepts easily and are bad with knowing alot of specific details...... ie your typical plug n chug engineers.
Hey, that's pretty perceptive of you! I was a mechanical engineer in a previous life, and my first "reflex response" is to also say that biology is just rote memorization. But when talking to my classmates (in med school) and helping them work through issues, I realize that many are just missing the integrative and conceptual parts of the puzzle, even if they have all of the "pieces" memorized.

I guess I always got the "big picture" from just sitting in lecture. It seemed so obvious that I didn't think anyone could not get it. But then I had to put a little more effort into rote memorization of details than some of my biology-oriented counterparts. :)

First learn and understand the general ideas; then learn the details

I used the technique described by meowkat444 for all harder-than-average undergrad classes. It takes a TON of time - but works. Like consistently gets the highest grade in the class works. This technique, however, is most certainly NOT a viable method for studying in medical school given the volume of info. But worry about that later. Give it a shot and start smoking your classmates!

I agree wholeheartedly with reading the book. And attend the lectures. Some of the chapters are hard to follow and the professor can usually clear up what is important to understand. Then, after they tell you what is important, be sure to read about it in the book. The textbooks put all of the information that is taught into a context so that abstract facts can be completely understood. I found that lecture notes were useless for comprehension. They're ok for reviewing random facts right before an exam, but that's it. But if you read the book, you won't even need them.