best way to become CNA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 1.5 years ago and need a job to fund my next app cycle. After advice from some adcoms I'm looking to become a CNA. I found a number of programs near me by searching online and on craigslist (central to south florida) but the websites seem sketchy? What do you guys think?

http://cnaprepclass.com/
http://www.delraymedtraining.com/

I heard you can get a nursing home to pay for your training if you work for them?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to clean the soiled diapers of senior citizens for a year, then by all means, proceed. Otherwise, you might as well get a just get a job at subway until you start school. It pays the same or better and you'll at least get a free sandwich out of it every once in a while.

Well I want a job that will help my app and to gain clinical experience. Plus CNA has a pretty flexible schedule since you can work per diem.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my state most community colleges offered the CNA class pretty cheap($800 with state certification exam fee included). Most employers would pay for your tuition over the first six months you worked.

Reactions: 1 users
My community college doesn't offer any programs unfortunately. The nearest one is 2 hours away in another county and costs $800+. I searched nearby and some technical colleges I never heard of are offering the course.. for relatively cheap to (<$400). But I'm a little skeptical since job offers might not be as good if I go through them.

How should I search for employers? Like check with local nursing homes or maybe even a hospital?

Not sure why this is so hard! Any other job ideas? I was thinking about a sterile process technician but no patient contact so not sure how schools will feel about that.

Never applied to medical school, but I know two med students who were CNAs prior to application time.

It doesn't really matter where you get your CNA certification. The jobs will always be available. Nursing homes always need some extra help, especially if you live in a rural area. The nursing homes in my town (~6000 people) had a high churn rate so they were always hiring.

If you can commute to a larger city you usually will get paid a bit more (obviously). Most CNAs around my area commuted to Chattanooga (20 minute drive) and made 11 dollars an hour. Not bad pay, but working 40 hour weeks Gets the bills covered.

I know some places offer "Express CNA Training" that take place a few hours over two weeks. In the end, you still take the CNA certification test so I'm wondering what the difference is other than the amount of hours and price difference. Also, I live in Florida where we're allowed to challenge the test. This means I could also take the test without a previous enrolled course.