Best way to keep the door open regarding jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of securing my first post-residency job (I finish this year). My wife and I are planning on moving back near her family at least for 1-2 years, as we just had our first kid and my wife feels very strongly about being near her parents/sisters during this time. I have found a decent job close by and am about to sign a contract.

There is a current practice near where we are now that I also really like, and I have become familiar with some of the other docs there and would really enjoy working with them (I think). They have recruited me to work there, but at this point it looks like staying where we are now is going to be a no-go. However, I would love to move back here in a few years (and my wife would be fine with that too).

I am at the point where I now need to tell the close-by practice that I will not be working for them next year; however, I would like to keep the lines of communication open at least for the future, should they still be seeking someone in maybe 2 years or so. Any tips on ways to approach this to not sound trite or insincere or whatever? I almost feel like I'm "letting them down", but at the same time we need to do what's best for our family.

Any tips are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, I would just be honest and say pretty much what you just explained. It seems like a pretty reasonable explanation. Probably done best in person.

Agree with using the explanation you gave us. I had several offers after residency and was worried about hard feelings when turning down jobs. However, it really seemed that no bridges were burned. They were disappointed but really all told me to get in touch in the future if I ever changed my mind. Maybe that was lip service but it did seem genuine.