Best way to prepare for ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuckwalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to prepare for the other sections with the EC 1001 books along with their textbooks. However, I heard nothing but disdain about Organic 1001. Anyone got any good supplements?

Members don't see this ad.

Princeton Science Review is a good source and also pray that you only have one organic passage or none at all LOL. I have heard of people who didn't have a organic passage on their test at all, but most do.

The best thing you can do is realize that MCAT o-chem is a freaking joke, and that they try to trick you into making stupid mistakes.

There will be a couple off-the-wall questions about UV spectroscopy, or something else that you might have spent all of two seconds talking about in both semesters of o-chem, and in your MCAT review. You will have a 25% chance of getting this one right.

There might also be some "tough" naming questions. On these, look to see if you can eliminate a couple right away, rather than trying to spend 5 minutes going through all the rules to try and name some horse**** molecule.

I say just practice. Do as many practice problems and practice tests as you can get your hands on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The orgo on the MCAT is ridiculously easy and there's very little of it. There are certain give away points, such as spec/experimental methods. Also a lot of the questions are passage based. EK's orgo book I thought was great, the 1001 was alright but not really indicative of the actual test.

The best thing you can do is realize that MCAT o-chem is a freaking joke, and that they try to trick you into making stupid mistakes.

There will be a couple off-the-wall questions about UV spectroscopy, or something else that you might have spent all of two seconds talking about in both semesters of o-chem, and in your MCAT review. You will have a 25% chance of getting this one right.

There might also be some "tough" naming questions. On these, look to see if you can eliminate a couple right away, rather than trying to spend 5 minutes going through all the rules to try and name some horse**** molecule.

I say just practice. Do as many practice problems and practice tests as you can get your hands on.

Did you SERIOUSLY rickroll people with MDapps?!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

I have decided to prepare for the other sections with the EC 1001 books along with their textbooks. However, I heard nothing but disdain about Organic 1001. Anyone got any good supplements?

I don't know, in my opininion, alot of these prep books are dry on the orgo content. I was able to go through the Kaplan and EK orgo lessons in two days. I would suggest using the 1001 EK don't worry so much about what people say, practice will make perfect in orgo, do every problem twice. You are definetly on the right path in attempting to master the MCAT orgo, there are the easiest points to accumulate in the bio section.

I don't know, in my opininion, alot of these prep books are dry on the orgo content. I was able to go through the Kaplan and EK orgo lessons in two days. I would suggest using the 1001 EK don't worry so much about what people say, practice will make perfect in orgo, do every problem twice. You are definetly on the right path in attempting to master the MCAT orgo, there are the easiest points to accumulate in the bio section.

I also like EK 1001Qs for orgo. Although I must admit, of the 1001Qs books, the o-chem book is by far the easiest for me. That said, I've still learned some conceptual things from it and it's just good practice to learn what kinds of things are high yield. The EK lecture book for o-chem I also thought was quite good. *shrug* I don't know why ppl hate it.