Best Way to Study for OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewaytogo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a third year undergrad and would like to go on to optometry school the fall right after I graduate, if possible :)

I was wondering, what are your recommendations for the best way to prepare the OAT? Are prep courses worth it? The only one close enough to me is Kaplan, and I have heard that they are not that helpful - they just force you to study.

If I were to take a course, I am planning on doing the one from mid January - March, and then taking the soon after in April-ish. Is this too late (because I should save room for a 2nd try?)

Otherwise, what are some good self-study materials I can use? Again, how is the Kaplan OAT prep book? I also hear about the "Crack the OAT" bundle on the computer - any comments before I invest?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm currently a third year undergrad and would like to go on to optometry school the fall right after I graduate, if possible :)

I was wondering, what are your recommendations for the best way to prepare the OAT? Are prep courses worth it? The only one close enough to me is Kaplan, and I have heard that they are not that helpful - they just force you to study.

If I were to take a course, I am planning on doing the one from mid January - March, and then taking the soon after in April-ish. Is this too late (because I should save room for a 2nd try?)

Otherwise, what are some good self-study materials I can use? Again, how is the Kaplan OAT prep book? I also hear about the "Crack the OAT" bundle on the computer - any comments before I invest?

Thank you!

I took the Kaplan course and it worked great for me. It was worth every penny I invested too, because my score has helped me get scholarship offers for more than the cost of the course.

It is kind of true that they just force you to study - but the big thing is that the materials (which are only available through taking the course - you need the online access to get the most of what they offer) they have are awesome. I started out around a 300 or 310 when I began prepping, and ended up with a 380 AA.

The hard copy materials you get through Kaplan are: a lesson book for the class (only a little helpful), a big book of "lecture notes" (SO helpful), flashcards for all sections (SO helpful), and slicks with concise notes for each section (I never used these, but they're pretty =P). As you can probably tell, I mostly just used the lecture notes (read the book cover to cover) and flashcards (memorized them all).

The class itself wasn't all that helpful to me. Go to it still - the teachers usually have helpful tips and tricks (especially for reading and math). There's just too much science information to fit it into a class.

The online stuff is the benefit that you can't get without the Kaplan course. There are workshops that are definitely helpful tutorials on certain themes (I only used the natural science and physics ones). Each of those then has an associated quiz - helpful practice questions. There are subject tests and section tests - the subject tests are harder than what you will get on the OAT and might require that you look at the notes in order to remember some of the stuff. But it pushes you to really master the material. The section tests are just a stand alone full-length section like a real OAT (so just a natural science or math or physics or reading section by itself, but timed and scored). Lastly, you have 5 full-length practice tests. This was SO helpful, because it's in the same format as what you will see on the screen for the real OAT - same interface, same buttons, etc. Having those timed sections really gave me a chance to get used to pacing myself and using all the stuff that was available to me during the exam. In addition, you get to track your score and have a good idea about where you will be on test day (although all my scores but math went up on my real OAT...math went down because I think I was just burnt out by that point in the test and didn't finish the section).

If you take the Kaplan course, I would sign up for the class well before you plan to take the actual test. I know they want you to push it up against your test date so you "don't forget material," but it's not the classroom material that you need to memorize most. I took my course in February, then did my seriously independent studying through July and August, and took my OAT at the end of August. Plan so that you can have a month or two to really study the material a lot on your own using the Kaplan materials. But also talk to Kaplan to make sure that you have access to your online stuff for that long - there's an expiration date but they can adjust that if you talk to them about it early.

I felt like Kaplan materials prepped me incredibly well for biology and gen chem (got 400 on both). I also think it was great for reading strategies (all I did was use the strategies I learned in the classroom day we covered reading, and then practice those strategies on the online tests). I probably should have used more of the math quizzes and tutorials - I only practiced math on the full length practice tests. I was getting 400 every time, so I didn't feel like I needed to practice more. But my real OAT had a lot more multi-step problems and I just ran out of time. So do practice plenty with the math just so you come into contact with every kind of problem and know how to solve it fast. As for physics and organic chem, I just crammed those into my last week or two of studying and didn't spend as much time on them. They were my lowest scores. I think the physics materials are pretty good - especially the flashcards for memorizing formulas. I'm iffy on whether the organic was that helpful. I ended up supplementing it with other companies' OAT prep materials...but never really spent a lot of time on any one book (probably why I didn't score well :)).

I think Kaplan is totally worth it if you are ready to put in the time (it takes a LOT...several hours per day for at least a month if you want to get the most out of it).

I did not take a Kaplan course because I thought it was too expensive. I bought a Kaplan book which was like $100 and I got a 300 academic average on the OAT. I didn't do as well as I would've liked on physics and organic chemistry, but I still got into PCO and have received 3 other interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thank you!

I didn't take the Kaplan course; it was too expensive and didnt think it was useful to go over ALL stuff, (stuff that YOU might already know..)

I studied with Kaplan big book that I bought from a friend and some other materials and ended up with 380TS and 370AA

Did you guys study for the OAT concurrently with studying for your classes? Or do you think it's better to devote a whole summer to it?

If I decide to apply for the cycle opening in July 2012, I guess I don't really have a choice but to start a Kaplan course/start studying now while taking classes (I'm a 3rd year) - unless I apply first and then submit my OAT scores later?

Did you guys study for the OAT concurrently with studying for your classes? Or do you think it's better to devote a whole summer to it?

If I decide to apply for the cycle opening in July 2012, I guess I don't really have a choice but to start a Kaplan course/start studying now while taking classes (I'm a 3rd year) - unless I apply first and then submit my OAT scores later?

It just depends how disciplined you are. I decided to study for my OAT in the summer (fortunate enough to have my summer free). I borrowed a friend's OAT Kaplan Review Notes (the monster book ~1400 pages) and just went at it cover to cover for 3-4 weeks leading up to my test date (4-10 hours a day) and also used OAT Achiever to take challenging practice tests during the week prior to my test. But I prefer to go at my own pace whereas some people prefer the structure of a course. I ended up scoring 380/370 (TS/AA), so I'd say you really only NEED a month or so of real devotion if you have the time and good study habits, probably don't need a whole summer.

I also would highly recommend watching Khan Academy videos on youtube as a supplemental source. I found them to be very informative and almost fun to watch (also watching videos is a great break for your brain when you've been reading page after page of notes for several hours).

Best of Luck!

the first time i took the oat, all i used was the big purple kaplan book i got from a friend. it was good for going over the topics that would be on the oat but it did not have nearly enough practice questions to test my skills and as a result i only got a 300 AA and 290 TS. also this was before i took ochem so i was pretty unfamiliar with that section as well. the second time around, i again used to kaplan book to go over the topics but got the oat destroyer. i highly recommend the destroyer. its nothing but hundreds of problems for you to work out with detailed answers explaining each question. also i had taken ochem by this time. my second try i got a 330 AA and 340 TS. i also used notes from my ochem class and watched youtube videos (khan academy/freelanceteach/academicearth.org) to understand concepts because it bores me way too much to read from the book.

cliffs:
-used kaplan book to get familiar with topics
-watched online videos
-used oat destroyer (highly recommend)
-studied for a about 4 weeks straight when school let out for winter break

edit: what i do suggest is pick out 40 questions and time yourself to get used to the time limit. i didnt do this and the time limit screwed me over in the math and physics sections.

Hey guys,

Thank you!

I recommend the Kaplan OAT course because it gets you really familiar with the online format of the test. It's also really important that you spend a lot of time self studying in addition to the test because there's A LOT of online quizzes/hw to take advantage of that come with the course. I also bought the OAT destroyer in addition to the class for extra practice! You will probably want to take the test twice, but I think you have time to retake it after April because you could take it again in July.