Best way to study pharmacology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Flashcards? Making your own charts? Reading the notes over and over again? What do you feel is the best way to study pharm??

Members don't see this ad.

get the rapid review pharm. You also get recorded lectures in an MP3 format

Members don't see this ad :)
Flashcards? Making your own charts? Reading the notes over and over again? What do you feel is the best way to study pharm??

What exactly do you guys cover in pharmacology? I'm just curious, I'm a PharmD student.

Just want to bump this thread up to get some advise on studying pharmacology. Is Lippincott the best book for pharmacology?

sleep with your professor :love:

I heard Lange's pharm flashcards are worth getting? Any second opinions?

The Lange pharmacology cards are definitely the best study tool for pharm out there. I own these, as well as the Brenner cards, and they make me feel as though the Brenner cards are worthless.

The Lange cards are vignette-style, and at the end of the day, the USMLE is vignette-style as well.

To be honest though, even though the Lange cards are strong, I still feel the best way to learn pharm is to go through it in First Aid FIRST, which is painfully slow, but it's necessary to have that first pass on the material.

The USMLE Rx QBank Step1 then reinforces the pharm. So do FA + USMLE Rx.

If you're commuting though, Lange pharm cards, a few at a time, are fine.

Just want to bump this thread up to get some advise on studying pharmacology. Is Lippincott the best book for pharmacology?

Depends on what you're studying for. For coursework, you should probably stick to your notes (or whatever resources they provide). For Step 1, the Kaplan pharm videos are amazing, and I highly recommend them. I can't imagine Lippincott being useful for Step 1 though...I have the book, never used it. Seems like too much irrelevant info.

Depends on what you're studying for. For coursework, you should probably stick to your notes (or whatever resources they provide). For Step 1, the Kaplan pharm videos are amazing, and I highly recommend them. I can't imagine Lippincott being useful for Step 1 though...I have the book, never used it. Seems like too much irrelevant info.

Can you get the Kaplan pharm videos without buying the entire Kaplan package? Or are people just downloading them off random sites? I'd like to do Kaplan vids only for pharm, but don't want to pay the price of their entire step prep.

Can you get the Kaplan pharm videos without buying the entire Kaplan package? Or are people just downloading them off random sites? I'd like to do Kaplan vids only for pharm, but don't want to pay the price of their entire step prep.

I wasn't aware that they were actually selling them now. Back when I was prepping for the test a few months ago, the only way to acquire them was to grab the bootlegs from random sites.

Study drugs by class. Then when you learn a new drug and know its class, you'll have some idea what the drug does, what it's for, etc.

The biggest thing I overlooked when studying pharm (and I got an F the first time I took it) was I didn't study the side effects and precautions. These always show up on the test. Also look at anything you would need to do as a nurse before you give the drug. For example, most blood pressure meds can't be given if the blood pressure is low (for example less than 90 systolic). Antacids can't be given the same time as other drugs but have to be given an hour after or two hours before other drugs. Anticoagulants can't be given if the INR is too high. A drug that has XR after the name