Other OT-Related Information Best way to thank a practitioner for volunteering opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question that I hope someone here may be able to answer.

I am a prospective OT student and I am currently working toward fulfilling the requirements for my application to an OT masters program. One such requirement of the program I am interested in is that applicants must volunteer and/or observe in an OT-related setting for a minimum of 30 hours. A few weeks ago I compiled a list of local OT practices/practitioners in my proximity and contacted them via phone, expressing my interest to volunteer or observe a practitioner so that I could gain some experience in the field. Of the several establishments I contact, only one practitioner returned my call and provided me with an opportunity to job shadow her, and thus far I have spent around 15 hours observing this practitioner and I plan to continue to do so until next month when she will be taking on an OT student as part of his/her fieldwork.

I am obviously extremely grateful for the opportunity she has given me as I know that she was under no obligation to even return my initial inquiry. As a result, I would very much like to express my gratitude for providing me with this opportunity, and I was wondering what would be the appropriate way to do so? Would a simple thank-you email or handwritten letter suffice after I have stopped shadowing her? Would it be considered inappropriate to maybe give her a small gift as a token of my appreciation, such as a small gift basket or a Starbucks gift card? One caveat that should be noted is that I will likely be asking her to serve as one of my letter of recommendation writers. In addition, I am male so I don't want to come across as unprofessional in any way.

If anyone could give me some advice, I would very much appreciate some input.

Members don't see this ad.

Over the summer I shadowed at a facility for about 50-60 total hours. I actually observed many of the therapists, not just one (although one more often than others), so I gave a thank you gift to the whole office. I wrote a thank you card and gave them a box of chocolates and a small plant for the office. I think something along these lines is appropriate to express your gratitude. A Starbucks card would also be okay if it's only for one person (~$5-10). If you do ask this practitioner to write you a letter of recommendation, I would probably hold off on giving any gifts until after she completes it. You don't want it to come across as a bribe, but rather an honest token of your appreciation. I think a similar gift is appropriate for a letter of recommendation--maybe even a little more personalized, depending on how many hours you end up shadowing her and what type of relationship you build. Hope this helps!

For one of the locations I observed, I brought in doughnuts on my last day and a thank you card for the office. At the last place I observed ( I asked the OT for a LOR), on my last day I just said thank you, emailed her, and kept in contact with her the whole summer. After she sent my LOR, I sent a thank you card. Like katland3 said about, it really depends on the type of relationship you build with that OT. I adored the last OT I shadowed and kept contact with her through email throughout my whole application process, even if it was just a follow up "Hello, hope you are doing well" email, just to show that you don't only contact them whenever you need something!

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of my volunteer/observation period I gave my OT a handwritten thank you card and a $20 Starbucks gift card. I was worried that the gift card might be too much but she was super appreciative.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will go with a handwritten thank-you card and a $10 starbucks or barnes and noble gift card so that way it's enough to be a nice gesture yet not enough to be considered an inducement.

i think a thank you card and small gift card are definitely appropriate. i wrote thank you cards and gave fancy chocolates :) to the people who wrote my LORs. like others said if given at the appropriate time it will not be seen as a bribe.

I figured that I would send something to LORs and places I shadowed after I was accepted and let them know where I was going.

Also, depending on the person, fancy chocolates might not be the best. The OT I shadowed with looked like she weighed about 100 pounds and didn't help herself to much of the food that was constantly available.